Withdrawal from birth control

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 premmie

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

We’ve completed our family. My youngest is 20 months and 3 months ago Dh went for the snip. I’ve been on the pill for 15 years apart from a year or so for each pregnancy and the aftermath. We were confirmed as good to come off other contraception and I finished the last pack a fortnight ago. Once my period had finished I’ve been feeling absolute rubbish. Constant migraine type headache, nauseous, fluctuating temperature, full feeling in my sinus. Dizzy and generally not well. I had night sweats the first few days. But the headache is killing me!. Has anyone experienced this? Definitely can’t be pregnant!

Seeing my Gp tomorrow. I’m considering going back on the pill. The guilt is awful because Dh then went through a needless procedure! We had been looking forward to not having to worry about this anymore

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

How old are you?

Perri menopause was what I experienced when my Implanon came out first at 38 (had been BCP or pregnant for the prior 15 years). My head aches were so bad I put it back in initially (then migraines eventually became so bad Neurologist and Botox was my saviour).

#3 premmie

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

Just turned 36. This happened when we were trying for my youngest too. Worst 3 months of my life!. But my cycle is like clockwork and we didn’t have any trouble falling home pregnant.

I went down the neurology path at that time. Had MRI scans and the neurologist basically said you’re having menstrual migraines - nothing sinister is happening

Edited by premmie, 07 June 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

Menstrual migraines suck. I have botox now working well but still get menstrual migraines so am now taking Naramig for 2 days per and 2 days post AF. First cycle and it has worked like magic, have not had to touch anything else.

My hormones are completely stuffed. Although no problems falling pregnant, I am PCOS. Became insulin resistant and packed on 20% of my body weight and diet and fitness would not budge. With Metformin the kgs fell off and now am normal weight. My blood tests show I am theoretically post menopausal (by hormone levels) but I am still getting my period. I am only 43.

Probably worthwhile getting hormones checked.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 07 June 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

How old are you?

Perri menopause was what I experienced when my Implanon came out first at 38 (had been BCP or pregnant for the prior 15 years). My head aches were so bad I put it back in initially (then migraines eventually became so bad Neurologist and Botox was my saviour).

I had a growth which put me in Perri Menopause and I got the odd migraine but just (still do) felt really really drained and nauseous and hot flushes, they picked it up on a MRI

I was put on medication which I should be off soon, one symptom is nauseous of it though.

#6 premmie

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

It’s really not worth feeling like this if I can be back on the pill. I just feel so guilty that Dh had to go through a no needless procedure! But feeling like this all month long is worse

#7 Kallie88

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

So you've been off the pill for 2 weeks and this started after your period? Could it just be an adjustment period while your body gets used to no pill? It prob took me 6 months for my body to figure itself out after i came off the pill - mostly for my cycles, but i was also only on the pill for maybe 4 years - I'm certainly not suggesting you put up with that much pain for that long to find out, but i wonder if other painkillers might be better than going back on the pill? Good luck op, hope its only temporary xx

#8 Bono25

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

I had a lot of issues with feeling off and dizziness when I came off the pill. It is, unfortunately, a side effect which only time can solve

#9 premmie

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

Yes last pill was two weeks ago prior to my last pill period. Headache was excruciating the first two days. Ibuprofen and panadol doesn’t touch it.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

Do you have migraine specific medication to take. At least see your Dr to get that.

Seayork - I have since been diagnosed last year as having a pituitary gland tumour as my prolactin levels were high. Although not on MRI Endocrinologist said about 7% are not seen. My levels kept on rising until she put me on some meds which has dramatically reduced them. I see her again next week for latest results.

#11 seayork2002

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 07 June 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Do you have migraine specific medication to take. At least see your Dr to get that.

Seayork - I have since been diagnosed last year as having a pituitary gland tumour as my prolactin levels were high. Although not on MRI Endocrinologist said about 7% are not seen. My levels kept on rising until she put me on some meds which has dramatically reduced them. I see her again next week for latest results.

Snap! my GP suspected it was this due to my prolactin levels - my Endocrinologist put me on Dostinex but the nauseous!

#12 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

Dostinex made me sick for the first few weeks (like 3-4 wks) but then it settled down OK. Luckily at the time I had just bern retrenched so just had to make sure I got kids to/from school then crashed in bed sick for about a month.

#13 premmie

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Gp has given me a migraine preventative. A referral to have blood taken to test hormone levels for 10 days from now. He said if that’s all normal that I should try to get through 1-2 cycles and see if it settles using the preventative in the meantime. If it’s not normal it will either be menopause or I have naturally low or estrogen. Both of which can be treated.

If I do choose to go back on the pill there are apparently better ones to be on than the one I was on, given I don’t need to contraception any longer

#14 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

Migraine preventative is good, but you should also have medication for acute migraine (ie when you actually get one).

#15 premmie

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

It’s imigran

#16 BeAwesome

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

I've been off the pill for a few months, as I was having migraines every cycle prior to this.  Haven't had a migraine since coming off, but my skin has broken out like a teenager.

#17 blackcat20

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

View PostBeAwesome, on 08 June 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

I've been off the pill for a few months, as I was having migraines every cycle prior to this.  Haven't had a migraine since coming off, but my skin has broken out like a teenager.

Same for me, visual migraines and ‘period headaches’ but theyve all ceased now I’m off the pill.

#18 JustBeige

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

Ok, so moving this thread. And will flag it with Admin.
OP, do you know what section you actually started this in?

#19 premmie

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Yes is was a mistake I wanted it incwhat do you think but once I posted it I had replies and couldn’t move it on my phone

#20 JustBeige

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

View Postpremmie, on 10 June 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

Yes is was a mistake I wanted it incwhat do you think but once I posted it I had replies and couldn’t move it on my phone
OK thank you :)

fwiw, you cant move threads, only Mods can do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.