Baby in pain at night - updated with losec question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

DS is 6mo, and he’s been hit hard by his first two colds recently. He’s mostly recovered, but is still a bit congested.

Anyway, at bedtime he starts screaming and becomes inconsolable. We cosleep, i breastfeed him lying down, and after a short while he starts screaming. The only thing that fixes things is paracetamol. Last night I gave it to him before bedtime, and he went off to sleep no fuss, like he used to before he got a cold. Tonight I thought I’d try without, but the screaming started again.

The poor thing must be in pain, so I’ll take him to the GP whenever we can get in early this week. But in the meantime, any ideas? He’s happy enough during the day, and naps are his usual (longer naps if lying in bed with me, shorter ones in the carrier and pram, and very short by himself in the cot). I can’t feel any teeth coming through, and he’s not having any other classic teething signs (DD was never bothered by teeth coming through).

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 18 June 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

Ear infection?

#3 just roses

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

Poor little guy :-(

I'd suggest reflux, but you'd think that he would have issues with day time sleep too, if that was the problem.

You can try over-the-counter reflux medication to see if it makes a difference?

#4 Mooples

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:29 PM

Ds always got an ear infection after a cold. That would be my first guess. Hopefully you can get into the gp tomorrow.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

Classic Ear Infection behaviour.

#6 Jenflea

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

Teething? But that would affect naps too.

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:40 PM

Hope he hasn’t got my brother’s ears, he’s still getting ear infections in his 30s! DD has never had an ear infection, I suppose it was too good to last. Why does it only bother him at night if it’s an ear infection?

We were at the GP last week for vaccinations, this week DD is getting her flu shot on Wednesday and I’m seeing the GP on Thursday. So fit DS in for another visit as well... Do you think I should start asking for a discount?!

#8 Lou-bags

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

Ask for a discount for sure ;)
Our very lovely GP bulk bills for kids.

Could be ear infection. Fingers crossed not! DS2 used to be upset at night for a while after colds when he was a baby. He would have fluid build up in his ears that wasn’t an infection needing treating but clearly uncomfortable. Weirdly, it didn’t seem to bother him as much at naps- I’m wondering if somehow temperature made a difference to his residual congestion and therefore the pressure in his ears. When I’m sick, I’m always most uncomfortable at night too. It’s a thing.

Hope he feels better soon xx

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:52 PM

Lou-bags, on 17 June 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

Ask for a discount for sure ;)
Our very lovely GP bulk bills for kids.

Could be ear infection. Fingers crossed not! DS2 used to be upset at night for a while after colds when he was a baby. He would have fluid build up in his ears that wasn’t an infection needing treating but clearly uncomfortable. Weirdly, it didn’t seem to bother him as much at naps- I’m wondering if somehow temperature made a difference to his residual congestion and therefore the pressure in his ears. When I’m sick, I’m always most uncomfortable at night too. It’s a thing.

Hope he feels better soon xx

That could be it.

And what are you doing here?!! Get back to it! Hope DS1 is feeling better.

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:20 PM

22Fruitmincepies, on 17 June 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

Hope he hasn’t got my brother’s ears, he’s still getting ear infections in his 30s! DD has never had an ear infection, I suppose it was too good to last. Why does it only bother him at night if it’s an ear infection?

We were at the GP last week for vaccinations, this week DD is getting her flu shot on Wednesday and I’m seeing the GP on Thursday. So fit DS in for another visit as well... Do you think I should start asking for a discount?!
When DD1 had an ear infection it bothered her at night because that was when she was laying down. For some reason it didn't bother her so much for nap time in the day. She was doing shorter naps and dropping off in different places, but I didn't notice so much during the busyness of the day.

She wasn't pulling her ear or anything but she was older and walking and an acquaintance noticed she was off balance. She had been fussy when pushed over bumps in her pram too - normally loved it. Generally happy during the day though :shrug:

But at night, bam. Screaming.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

We had similar with DS2, we had tried Panasonic and neurofen but it didn’t seem to help. I took him to the dr just to check. He had a massive ear infection in both ears and tonsillitis :/ (he didn’t seem to have a temp and was pretty fine during the day wasn’t off any food etc). I felt terrible. That night we have him painstop and the poor thing finally slept :( obviously he was in too much pain for the neurofen or panadol!

#12 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

GP at 3 today. Thanks everyone

#13 Lady Gray

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Good luck OP

#14 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Ears, throat and chest all fine, so the GP’s best guess is reflux. He gave us a script for losec to try, but we’ll keep up the panadol for a few more nights while we wait for it to kick in.

Edited to ask: what time of day should I give the losec? Does it matter? Instructions from the pharmacy are “as directed by doctor” but the GP didn’t give any directions for time of day.

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 18 June 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#15 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

Bumping this because I’d love to know when to give DS the losec for maximum effectiveness at bedtime.

#16 Ellie bean

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

If you can get it into him 20 Mins before a feed, that’s most effective (I forget why but there’s a reason why it’s most effective if not given at the same time as food)
I reckon I’d aim for around 6pm
If you don’t see an improvement take him back to the gp- DS used to always start suffering from an ear infection 2-3 days before the drs could actually see anything
Good luck

#17 onyxmoon

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Time to effect is <4 hrs so I'd go evening dose - but you can always clarify with your Dr at one of the other appts

#18 Pigling_

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Baby girl has weaned off her loser now but we used to split the dose and give one in the morning and one at night about half hour before her bedtime feed.

#19 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

I’m not sure if DS actually got any of his medication, he had a pretty big spew after it. And then later brought up most of his bedtime paracetamol. I’m going to look into paracetamol suppositories tomorrow, as trying to get DS to take medicine is horrible.

#20 lucky 2

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

I'm concerned the Pharmacist didn't give exact instructions typed on the sticker on the medication, especially for a child!
If the Dr didn't fill in the script properly the Pharmacist should call the medical practice/Dr for the correct instructions.

OP, I hope your night isn't too unsettled.

#21 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

lucky 2, on 19 June 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'm concerned the Pharmacist didn't give exact instructions typed on the sticker on the medication, especially for a child!
If the Dr didn't fill in the script properly the Pharmacist should call the medical practice/Dr for the correct instructions.

OP, I hope your night isn't too unsettled.

I’m going to see the pharmacist tomorrow to get better instructions and suppositories. DH picked the losec up, I probably would have asked questions.

Also DS is sound asleep. Generally once he’s asleep, he just wakes a few times for a quick feed and is straight back to sleep.

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 19 June 2018 - 11:05 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.