Allergy to beef but not beef sausages?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Kellykopter

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

Hi guys, my bf brings his two kids over often and I am stumped why one can eat beef sausages but not beef.  So couldn't have a slice of roast beef or steak.

He has a bunch of other allergies - egg dairy nuts seeds etc.

Im studying nutrition and I like to cook so I'm trying to find meals that give variety and more goodness than fatty salty preservative filled sausages.  

Thanks in advance xx

Edited by Kellykopter, 20 June 2018 - 03:12 PM.

#2 Greatmum

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

There probably isn't any beef actually in them??

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Try chicken, pork, lamb or fish? There are a lot of options other than beef and beef sausages. But I’d say there is nothing wrong with sausages from time to time, especially if it means a child will eat well, but not every night.

#4 No Drama Please

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Is it every sausage is okay or just one brand?

#5 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

There are plenty of other options than beef. Even non meat ones!!

But the sausages are probably just beef flavoured bits and pieces leftovers :lol:

That’s said I don’t mind a sausage and we have them a couple of times a week, worst things you could feed a kid.

Don’t become one of those I studied nutrition I need to lecture everyone on food choices people..

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:30 PM

at miniumum it is probably a ratio thing. ie more filler or non beef ingredients in the sausage.

#7 MooGuru

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

Back ages ago sausages only needed to contain 8% (?) Beef to be labelled beef sausages.
Also with egg the allergy causing whatever is reduced by cooking so I can have a severe reaction to pancakes/ or sunny side up eggs etc but can eat a cake thats been baked at 200 for an hour. I don't know if the same applies for beef.
Depending on the reaction the child may also have an aversion so seeing meat fears the reaction but wouldn't have a reaction with a small quantity. But doesn't have that association with sausages. (I can be like this with dairy I assess how worth the possible reaction is for the food/drink I want because at worst I'll have a very upset stomach. A milkshake is a straight up no way never. Mac n cheese I'm willing to risk every time and regret it maybe 25% of the time. But that's an intolerance whole different kettle of fish to allergies.

Sorry if this posts 4000 times my phone seems to be stuck on this page

#8 Kellykopter

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

Hi guys, thanks for replies.  Yes I thought it was a ratio thing but I checked the ingredient panel on the last packet and it says about 70% beef.  No particular brand or outlet, just plain beef sausages, and not the cheap ones either.

The child eats bacon, ham, polony, pork, chicken and fish so there is variety there.

Mince based dishes are a staple in my household so not being able to cook a good spag bog or cottage pie is frustrating me! :smile:  

Relations with the ex are sometimes strained so I'm keeping well out of and away from that, so I cant ask her what she feeds him or anything else.

As pp mentioned, I suppose sausages twice a week aren't going to kill him (or us!).

#9 bearosauraus

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

Cant your bf tell you what he usually eats?

#10 MissMilla

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

SuperMombie3, on 20 June 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

Unless they're pork/lamb sausages not beef I have no idea how that could work.  I do know some kids who can't have things like omlette but can have cake/muffins with egg but I think that's more a quantity thing.  

This has to do with how cooked they are I think. DD is allergic to raw egg white. She can eat cooked eggs, but i dont dare giving her sunny side up. When i flip it and cook both sides, she doesnt react though.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Use chicken or pork mince? Does he have hemochromatosis? I notice there is no lamb in the list which is why I ask.

#12 wearyparent

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

"I thought it was a ratio thing but I checked the ingredient panel on the last packet and it says about 70% beef. "

While beef intolerance is real, given the above the answer to this particular distinction might be found on the same scientific website that explains why vaccines cause autism and the moon is flat.

Edited by wearyparent, 20 June 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#13 *Spikey*

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

Depends on the type of allergy. I have FPIES allergy to nuts. A small amount of almonds and it's barf city. But... I can cope with a couple of peanuts at a time.

So, if I ate something that had potential exposure to peanuts, or even a minimal amount sprinkled on top, im okay. But not so much if I go full bore on the satay sauce...

If he's anaphylactic to beef, then no amount is safe, even the reduced amount in sausages. I would think there is something else at play if it isn't either of those two.

#14 Dianalynch

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

Could be an intolerance, or even something as simple as chewing and swollowing difficulties with steak. I'd just roll with it, and the kid can eat sausages while the rest of the family eats spag bol if that makes it easier.

#15 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

Why not try and make your own beef sausages?

#16 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

Lamb mince makes great shepherds pie, and pork mince can be used for spag bol.

But see if you can get some further information about his allergies and intolerances. It’s pretty important.

#17 *Spikey*

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:39 PM

Use the sausages to make meatballs for a spaghetti sauce?

#18 chicken_bits

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

You can make bolognaise with other types of meat...

#19 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

Spag bog is way better with pork mince.

Proper Shepard’s pie is done with lamb, so you can use lamb mince.

So there isn’t really any reason you can’t have those dishes!!

#20 Riotproof

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

I don’t get why you aren’t asking your boyfriend?

#21 Wonderstruck

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

Allergy might be the wrong word here which might be causing the confusion.

The hard part is it’s a catch all word and people interpret it differently based on own experience or knowledge and worse still are the people who use it to avoid something they don’t like (not saying OP but just in general).

I always thought of allergy to food to be anaphylaxis or environmental allergies (to pollen and the like) - I’m learning about it more now through the experience with my daughter. That said I still get confused.

My daughter is cows milk and soy protein intolerant - a lot of doctors call it an allergy - but it’s non-IgE so it causes things like gut upset, reflux, colitis etc.

Intolerances in my experience for some have a tolerance level so perhaps OP that’s why sausages can be consumed as it’s less than 100% beef and heavily processed.

We have been told the processing and cooking of proteins can make them easier to tolerate hence why when we reintroduce dairy it will be a processed biscuit, followed by baked dairy etc.

I would seek clarity from your boyfriend so you can best feed the child and your family safely.

Pork and chicken minces should be able to be used with no issue

#22 Neeps

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

I'm just lurking as I'm curious about the nature of the allergy/intolerance.  

Come back OP and update us.

#23 qak

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

I don't think that a child who is allergic to beef would not be allergic to beef in sausages, that doesn't seem plausible.

I'm puzzled why anyone would give a child beef sausages after being told they are allergic to beef? Or were you specifically told they are allergic to beef and not allergic to beef sausages?

Maybe they are no longer allergic to beef at all?

#24 ali-song

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

My guess would be that ‘allergy’ is being used in an imprecise way, as it’s a word that makes people pay attention and not question too much. My DS happily eats sausages/mince, but there’s no way he’d eat a steak - he has ASD and there are texture issues. Now, I wouldn’t tell people he was allergic, but I can understand the temptation.

In your situation, OP, I’d just work around it - use pork or lamb mince. There’s nothing to be gained from questioning.

#25 Jingleflea

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

Pork and veal mince makes great spag bol or meatballs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.