Seeking a poet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zonnewigham

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

It’s my daughters first birthday 13th of September and first of October we are moving from Perth to Sydney for 1 year for hubby’s work.
On her party invite I want to say something along the lines of ‘give her clothes or stuff that packs up light and easy’
So far I have ‘gifts are not necessary but if you insist, it’s the ones that travel that we can’t resist’
I want to add something along the lines of ‘toys are fun but they’ll wind up in storage’ maybe a little joke about the toy story movies and how we don’t want her toys to be sad while they’re stuck in a box? Also something about how handy clothes in size one will be, I expect she’ll be out of her size zeros by then as she fits them perfectly right now.
Any help appreciated, even if it’s just one line, or a few suggested rhyming words.

Her name is Emily if anyone wants to rhyme her name in there.

Edited by Chelli, 21 June 2018 - 07:47 PM.
removed surname

#2 Maree83

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

Sorry, but I am not a poet, lol. How about just being honest with your guests? Instead of a little poem for them to read between the lines (which,trust me, people don't always do), honesty is sometimes the simplest way. No need to read between the lines, or second guess anything. I find that people usually appreciate the help when it comes to gifts anyway as you don't know what others already have etc.
Sorry if I am not much help.

#3 Mooples

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

For ds1’s first birthday people asked and given so many of our friends and family didn’t have little children of their own they genuinely wanted to know what to buy him as they didn’t know what was appropriate. I was up front and gave pretty specific ideas. I’d just pop a little note being honest - no gifts, we’re moving, please don’t give toys, if you must please give clothes in size 1 or 2.

#4 Carmen_Sandiego

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Poems don;t make messages about gifts "lovely" they are just naff and don't get a point across anyway.

Your family and friends know that you're moving. If people don;t know you're moving across the country, then I assume they're not invited to your daighters birthday party.

If they go crazy - which most people won't anyway - then deal with it at the time. List it on Gumtree the same weekend if by chance you get given bikes or cubby houses or trampolines.

Also people know that 1 year old are in size 1 clothes.They know she's One.  No-one will buy her smaller sizes, you really are over thinking this :)

#5 zonnewigham

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Maybe I’ll just stick to the first 2 lines I had and leave it at that. I like poems in cards, that’s why I don’t just want to write ‘give us clothes and no toys’ haha

Definitely not always true Carmen. I have a friend with a nearly 2 year old who only just left size zero and my niece is 6months old and already in size 1.

#6 Carmen_Sandiego

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

View Postzonnewigham, on 21 June 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Definitely not always true Carmen. I have a friend with a nearly 2 year old who only just left size zero and my niece is 6months old and already in size 1.
Obviously I don't mean that every child ever born moves into size one on their first birthday. I meant that people aren't tracking the percentile charts of your child like you are and will not routinely go and buy O or OO size clothes for a child turning 1. They will apply the law of averages and buy bigger clothes by default.

#7 alchetta

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:38 PM

Don't stress about gifts, there's no room in my case, but if you insist, new clothes won't go to waste!

I don't need gifts cos I'm so busy packing
And anyway I only play with the wrapping! But I'll gladly wear any second hand clothes in size one or two if you have some of those!

No gifts are needed, I've so much to pack,
I'll only need some new clothes on my back. But please don't plan to go out of your way, I just really hope to see you on the day!

Disclaimer, I hate these kinds of poems.

#8 zonnewigham

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

For someone who hates them you’re quite good alchetta 🤣 Thankyou, I love the 2nd one asking for second hand clothes

#9 Sancti-claws

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

13th of September and first of October we are moving from Perth to Sydney for 1 year

Time has flown

Our girl will be one

Come and join us in some fun...

But a fortnight later

We are flying too

And so for presents

we ask you to:

Think light, think small

(Even think none at all?)

Emily birthday is a day for joy

We don't want to store incredible toys

So all that we need is a promise (and you)

To have fun on the day - save presents until she's two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.