Sydneysiders - Quick Q please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aluminium

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not super familiar with Sydney and I'm not trying to be offensive - just to gain some insider info.

I need to get to the Seymour Centre for a lecture.

I'm catching the train down from Newcastle. My question is this, on Google maps, the Seymour Centre is 850m walk from Redfern station -

Is this a do-able walk? Are there footpaths? Is it safe?  

(I'll be getting off the train around 9am on a weekday morning.)

Or am I better off riding to Central and catching a bus over to the Seymour Centre? Or walking back from Central?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 Bereckii

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:16 PM

9am on a weekday? I'd train to Redfern and then walk. No problems.

ETA Heaps of uni students and uni staff will be doing exactly the same thing.

Edited by Bereckii, 20 June 2018 - 10:19 PM.

#3 aluminium

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:29 PM

View PostBereckii, on 20 June 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

9am on a weekday? I'd train to Redfern and then walk. No problems.

ETA Heaps of uni students and uni staff will be doing exactly the same thing.

OK. Good to know.

I feel silly for asking but I am so unfamiliar with the area that I need some kind of reassurance.

#4 dadwasathome

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:31 PM

Yes, doable and safe. Lawson St, Abercrombie St then along Shepherd St will get you to the back of the Seymour Centre easiest.

#5 kusanagi

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

Newcastle express trains don't stop at Redfern, you'd be quicker to get off at Central and bus, walk or bikeshare to Seymour Centre (or taxi if it's raining). Take the bus from railway square.

#6 aluminium

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

Oh good tip, thank you. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Kusanagi.

#7 dadwasathome

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

View Postaluminium, on 21 June 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Oh good tip, thank you. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Kusanagi.

It is a good tip, although I'm never sure which bus stand at railway square - 422, 423, 426 and 428 all stop right near the Seymour Centre.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

I would walk personally but after careful planning of a map route though

#9 sarahec

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

I used to live in Redfern, the area has stigma but is fine. The walk you describe will be packed with city workers and uni students etc

#10 Moo-me

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

Totally fine. It’s actually a nice area

#11 IamOzgirl

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

Worth considering changing at Strathfield (if newcastle train stops there) for a redfern train. maybe easier that the bus interchange if pressed for time and may get flustered.

#12 aluminium

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful replies  -I appreciate them.

I'll look into changing at Strathfield. I think I've planned it out well enough, so I hope it goes to plan (it's happening next week).

:)

#13 aluminium

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Our trip to the Seymour Centre was problem free, and Redfern station was a breeze. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.