Earlier Caesarean for Mums Health

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Crombek

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

View PostRubyEmerald, on 24 June 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Hi Crombek,

Endone mostly. I've finished my panadeine forte, Buscopan and Panadol that I was also suggested don't do a thing. I'm running out of endone but I can't bear the thought of going to the GP for another script, I have my toddler with me and my husband is away for work. Endone helps me to sleep for an hour or so but it makes me feel really sick, but ondansetron doesn't help. I can't feel my stones anymore it's the stents. Every time baby moves it hurts, I get painful bladder spasms and aches and urinating is a nightmare, I have to bite down on my hand or a towel. I am crying and vocalising alot. Way too TMI but I'm at the end of my tolerance almost.

Thanks for understanding 😘

Just saw this. Ring them now. Like, right now. You don’t have to suffer through this. I know it’s hard to arrange care, my first lot happened while DH was away & I had to ring FIL to do the hour round trip to get me to hospital & take care of our older boys. But you are putting your baby under so much stress with the pain too, preterm labour is a risk at this point again.

#27 HolierThanCow

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Hi Crombek,

Endone mostly. I've finished my panadeine forte, Buscopan and Panadol that I was also suggested don't do a thing. I'm running out of endone but I can't bear the thought of going to the GP for another script, I have my toddler with me and my husband is away for work. Endone helps me to sleep for an hour or so but it makes me feel really sick, but ondansetron doesn't help. I can't feel my stones anymore it's the stents. Every time baby moves it hurts, I get painful bladder spasms and aches and urinating is a nightmare, I have to bite down on my hand or a towel. I am crying and vocalising alot. Way too TMI but I'm at the end of my tolerance almost.

Thanks for understanding

This is terrible. You must tell them ASAP. It's a crisis if you can't urinate without screaming and are living on endone and panadeine forte. There are also limits to the time you are supposed to be on those continuously, surely? Especially in late pregnancy? Call them and tell them what is happening, even if it's only to get ideas for better pain management.

#28 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

Oh gosh you poor thing! I also think you need top call the hospital - pain like you are describing is enough of a reason to at least have you plan reviewed. I cant imagine :( I dont know if they will change your c-sect but id imagine they'd at least consider it and look at your pain management. Its clearly not working.

Id be making some big noises - you are going through something incredibly painful even without pregnancy and another child in your care in the mix.

#29 rubyskye

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Crombek and HolierthanCow. I've contacted my husband to see if he can come home tonight at all, will call Labour ward and see what they say.

HolierthanCow, Endone was the only suggestion of the urologist I saw, he never said time limits, just to see my GP if I needed more. I get the feeling urologists perform these stent procedures but don't realise how painful and debilitating they are (even though the urologist I saw seemed understanding).

Will update later today xx

#30 Krampus

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

View PostHolierThanCow, on 24 June 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

This is terrible. You must tell them ASAP. It's a crisis if you can't urinate without screaming and are living on endone and panadeine forte. There are also limits to the time you are supposed to be on those continuously, surely? Especially in late pregnancy? Call them and tell them what is happening, even if it's only to get ideas for better pain management.

What I was told when I was living on endone is that it is not considered a big issue even in late pregnancy, some will pass to the baby, and it is also carried through the breastmilk, which can help deal with potential withdrawal.

It has risks, but it is not something that Drs seem to consider on the higher end of risky in my experience. Although experiences vary, I was on max dose of endone up till 8 hours before my c-section, and DD did not have any issues from it. I also went straight back on it, it is regularly given for post c-section pain.

I hope you can get some relief Ruby, late pregnancy is hard enough without all the extra issues.

#31 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

I know you felt the lower strength pain relievers were not working but together it should work as a layering. I had a serious injury and had pins and plates inserted. It was explained that by taking different painrelievers together they layer and should work better. I too scoffed that paracetamol would help at all but they were right. Morphine plus paracetamol  plus nurofen taken regularly according to their directions did help. Just make sure you keep ontop of the fruit and fibre as endone will constipate.

#32 Soontobegran

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hi Crombek,

Thanks for understanding

In light of this post RubyEmerald I would present to the emergency department asap.
It is not acceptable to be in this level of pain where Endone is the only thing that gives you any relief.
In this case I would imagine that it may be considered better to deliver you earlier than in 4 weeks time as your little one may be better off delivered........and you too of course.
Please do not worry about your baby as he/she will be fine but there is a risk of some opiate withdrawal after delivery that might be avoided if delivered a week or so earlier.

#33 AdelTwins

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

I'm sorry you are in so much discomfort and pain.

I had twins at 35w due to reduced flow in twin B's cord. They were both around the 2kg mark. Lots of steroids, so lungs were fine. No NICU needed but were in SCBU for 20 days - putting on weight and learning to suck. I was only able to BF twin 1 occasionally and eventually it got too hard, so expressed for both.

They are healthy 6yos now. And caught up height wise to their potential. No ongoing health issues.

My DS3 was born at 37+5. He was showing big, and I had extra fluid again. Due to a previous loss at 19w I was very nervous and had reduced fetal movements due to placental position and too much amniotic fluid. My OB brought my section forward by a week.

DS3 was able to BF from birth. He didn't need any special care and went home with me after only 4 days. Due to food intolerances he lost a lot of weight and I had to eventually stop BF. But other than that he is a healthy 10m old.

I wish you all the best. If you can hold on for a few more weeks that would be great, but don't feel bad if you can no longer take the pain. You are at a healthy gestation. Be aware that there may be some flow on effects of you do deliver early. It's a balancing act between mother and babies health. Your baby is big enough now that the focus will start to shift to your health and wellbeing.

#34 lazycritter

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

My friend had her elective c-section brought forward to 37 weeks. She was in agony because her pelvis had taken apart and could only walk using a  walking frame.

This was 12.5yrs ago though (Victoria, public hospital)

#35 Crombek

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

Just checking back in to say I hope you’re well on your way to getting some pain relief & a rest OP.

#36 rubyskye

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Thanks ladies. I called maternity ward who said just to go to the ED or my GP. Last time I was at ED I sat for 14 hours and didn't see an obstetrician, get a kidney scan or anything. Honestly my hospital are so useless. I'm going to wait until my obstetrician appointment and just ride it out at home. Obviously if things get a ton worse I'll head into the ED. Thanks for all your advice xx

#37 rubyskye

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

Actually I'm taking myself to my GP this afternoon, my SIL is insisting!

#38 born.a.girl

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

Can your SIL come with you? Sometimes it's easier for someone else to advocate on your behalf.

#39 rubyskye

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 June 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

Can your SIL come with you? Sometimes it's easier for someone else to advocate on your behalf.

No it's ok, my GP is amazing. Plus she's got her baby and my toddler to care for.

#40 Crombek

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Gosh I’m so mad on your behalf! It was labour ward at my hospital who told me to come straight in & bypass the ED both times.

Are you able to get yourself to the gp? There’s no way I could drive while I was going through it, all I could do was rock & vomit.

#41 rubyskye

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

View PostCrombek, on 25 June 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

Gosh I’m so mad on your behalf! It was labour ward at my hospital who told me to come straight in & bypass the ED both times.

Are you able to get yourself to the gp? There’s no way I could drive while I was going through it, all I could do was rock & vomit.

I should be ok, it's a short drive. If I'm not feeling up to it I'll catch a taxi.

#42 Hollycoddle

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

View PostHolierThanCow, on 24 June 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Agree. Endone and the like are opiates, if it's in your bloodstream it will be going into the baby. Shocked that you're even being prescribed it.

#43 Crombek

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:43 PM

I was on morphine, endone, buscopan & panadol. It’s not ideal certainly but like my OB said, the risk of stress and preterm labour to the baby of being in that kind of unmanageable pain is high too. I cannot emphasise the indescribable pain of it. And that cocktail reduced the pain from about a 12 to a 7. But I could doze through it. I would go through a birth every day of my life in preference to passing a kidney stone ever again.  BUT I was kept on maternity ward & baby was monitored every couple of hours for 2-3 days each time.

Edited by Crombek, 25 June 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#44 rubyskye

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

Saw my GP yesterday who has run some blood and urine tests. I have scripts for Tramadol and Endone too. Only 6 days til my Obstetrician appointment - can't come soon enough!

Mollycoddle I hate taking this pain relief. My first pregnancy I even gave up caffeine, never took Panadol etc. Not even a sip of alcohol. I feel such guilt and worry over the pain relief I've been taking the past 3 weeks. Given I went into preterm labour when they placed the stents I don't want to risk it again and I'm not coping without it, I feel like I have no choice 😢

Crombek - yep I agree I'd go through birth over kidney stones. And I feel I'd rather stones than stents. They are most debilitating things I've ever experienced.

#45 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 25 June 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

Agree. Endone and the like are opiates, if it's in your bloodstream it will be going into the baby. Shocked that you're even being prescribed it.

Please don't  make the Op feel any more guilty.  I had another cycling accident (different to the one I mentioned above) when 25 weeks pregnant. Was admitted into RMWH with bad road rash, a broken shoulder and cracked rib. They happily prescribed Endone to me. If the docs at Melbourne Women's  pregnancy unit say it's  fine, it should be.

#46 Hollycoddle

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 26 June 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

Please don't  make the Op feel any more guilty.  I had another cycling accident (different to the one I mentioned above) when 25 weeks pregnant. Was admitted into RMWH with bad road rash, a broken shoulder and cracked rib. They happily prescribed Endone to me. If the docs at Melbourne Women's  pregnancy unit say it's  fine, it should be.

That wasn't my intention, why should she feel guilty for following what her health care providers recommend? I do find it shocking though and hope this is enough for the OP to get her c-section as soon as it's safely possible.

#47 HolierThanCow

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 26 June 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

No, no... I didn't mean there was anything wrong with taking endone in late pregnancy, and I know several people who have taken it longer-term because of unbearable pain (not while pregnant, although I believe it would be preferable to take it longer term in pregnancy if the alternative were unbearable suffering). It isn't shocking to me that it was prescribed; it is shocking to me that the OP is suffering like this and think there must be something better.

My angle was more that surely this would be grounds to move the surgery forward.

#48 rubyskye

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

Thanks HolierthanCow 😊 I understand what you mean xx

I'll update this thread after my obstetrician appointment on Monday, fingers crossed he moves my CS forward. Til then I'm holding tight at home unless my urine/bloods come back with something wacky (my GP is calling me this week with results)

#49 rubyskye

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

Hi ladies I thought I'd come back and update and thank you so much for all of your posts and advice. Saw my obstetrician who is bringing my caesarean forward (I didn't even ask, he took one look at me and decided!) So I have 12 days til then. Then one week after that my kidney stone and stent surgery has all been booked. So it's all going to be over in 3 weeks or so thank goodness. Hopefully everything goes well.
I'm still housebound in pain relief but the end is in sight.
Thanks again 😊

#50 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

That’s a relief! I hope you survive those 3 weeks ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.