Plastic Free July - anyone doing the challenge?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wannabe30

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:54 PM

Has anyone signed up for Plastic Free July? http://www.plasticfreejuly.org/

Would love to hear your thoughts and tips on how to break the plastic-habit and choose more sustainable alternatives.

#2 seemingly

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Hadn't heard of it, but will take a look and see what we can do to limit our plastic usage.

#3 ballogo

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

Just took their survey and had a look around their website. We already do much of it but now need to:

- think about microbeads in the products we use for cleaning and also the packaging of the milk we buy.  So I'm just looking at the website for the brand we use for cleaning products and personal care but I think we're ok in that department. We use vinegar for surface cleaning, as a fabric softener, and as the rinse Aid in the dishwasher. We also use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner;

- check out the packaging of our milk as it probably contains microbeads;

- follow through with my plans to start composting;

- change our bin lining habits.

Edited by ballogo, 01 July 2018 - 08:47 AM.

#4 wannabe30

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

I think I’m doing pretty well on the Big Four (single use shopping bags, coffee cups, straws, water bottles). I don’t buy bottled water and always use my Keep Cup.

I do occasionally end up with a plastic shopping bag when I stop at the shops on the way home and discover that I don’t have my reusable bag  with me. So this month and really going to concentrate on creating a new habit of making sure my reusable bag is always in my handbag.

I’m also going to work on getting into the habit of proactively saying “no straw please“ whenever I order a drink. I never actually ask for a straw, but so often places automatically give them to you or put them in your drink when you are dining in.  Even though I don’t want/use the straw, it’s now “dirty“ so gets thrown away.  I need to remember to proactively ask them not to give it to me in the first place – hopefully that means cafes will also start to question why they keep handing them out automatically.

(Edited to correct a typo)

Edited by wannabe30, 01 July 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#5 *Marty*

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

Edited by *Marty*, 05 July 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

where's the survey please ballogo?

#7 ~J_F~

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 01 July 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

where's the survey please ballogo?

Its under the getting started section on the website the link directs you too :)

#8 spr_maiden

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

Thank you! 😊

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.