what days for childcare?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 fluffybun

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

Hi everyone Im hoping to hear your anecdotal experience please.

I am looking to send my son to childcare 2 days a week when he turns 2.

Work is happy for me to choose the 2 days a week I come back and I currently have choice to any of the days of the week for childcare. I was thinking two days in a row would be better for me for work (selfishly) but is that best for my son? Is it better to have a few days in between childcare days if he is only going 2 days a week?

I know I am probably overthinking it but sending him to childcare it is something I am feeling quite anxious about but thats a whole other topic :rofl:
thanks for your help

#2 seayork2002

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

If it was me i would pick tue and thur

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

When I worked in childcare the kids with consecutive days settled more easily, and the educators at our centre for DS and DD agree that they generally see kids settle better with consecutive days.

#4 fluffybun

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

MintyBiscuit, on 14 July 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

When I worked in childcare the kids with consecutive days settled more easily, and the educators at our centre for DS and DD agree that they generally see kids settle better with consecutive days.

Thanks MintyBiscuit makes me feel less guilty about taking the option that suits me better :laugh: I was thinking Tuesdays and Wednesdays :)

#5 Pocket...

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

I was recommended a day off between two days which has worked well.
What do the centre recommend?

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

I chose Mondays and Wednesdays as that way I got public holidays. My kids seemed to like the dat off in between.

#7 lou246

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

My daycare only offers 2 consecutive days as they find this is best for the child. I also find it better to get my work ‘over with’ in 2 days straight. I had a choice also and I chose consecutive.
Also - if you take things like bedding etc you can just leave it for the 2 days rather than taking home/bringing back.

Edited by lou246, 14 July 2018 - 07:24 PM.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

Tuesday is the most popular day at our daycare. If you are having difficulties getting Tuesday and Wednesday you might have more luck with Thursday and Friday.

#9 fluffybun

PocketGingerJingle, on 14 July 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

I was recommended a day off between two days which has worked well.
What do the centre recommend?

They left it up to us they just said they reccomend 2 days over 1 to help him settle in but the days chosen were up to us.

#10 Silly Old Elf

Definitely consecutive days would be my choice.
For work and for childcare

Edited by Silly Old Elf, 14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM.

#11 coolbreeze

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

I did Thursday/Friday for years with my two children. Ten years of childcare (4.5 years each)
That worked well with the two days together as you get into a bit of a routine...and so do they.
CB

#12 robhat

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Generally, 2 consecutive days are better for the child. Which two often doesn't matter much although some kids cope better if they are straight after the weekend or just before the weekend, but that may depend on your family's usual routine.

#13 Mands09

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

I did Wednesday and Fridays. Avoided mondays so wasn't paying for public holidays that I couldn't use care for.

#14 winterbabies

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

I would definitely use the days that maximize public holidays - as if if they fall on Monday’s mostly, then make sure you work Mondays. Less time at work is always a bonus and you’re being paid so shouldn’t have an income impact (presuming you are being paid for them). Extra time with the family is a really great bonus of doing it this way too.

#15 little lion

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

Depends what works for your job, too. When I returned two days a week to my office job, I did Tuesday and Friday. As I was the only person doing what I did, that spaced out my availability so colleagues and stakeholders weren’t waiting more than two full business days for a response.

At my centre Monday is the least popular day as parents dislike paying for care on public holidays when their kids can’t attend. Friday is next in line. Mid week days are the most sought after.

#16 Wolf87

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

I would prefer two days in a row for the reasons above. Also, they get sick a lot when they first start, so consecutive days work better in that if they pick something up on the Monday for example, they might not show symptoms until the Wednesday, which means you’d have to keep them home? That way the get a long break between sessions?
Sorry in my head I know what I’m trying to say but I’m having trouble articulating it :rofl:

#17 winterbabies

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Wolf87, on 14 July 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

I would prefer two days in a row for the reasons above. Also, they get sick a lot when they first start, so consecutive days work better in that if they pick something up on the Monday for example, they might not show symptoms until the Wednesday, which means you’d have to keep them home? That way the get a long break between sessions?
Sorry in my head I know what I’m trying to say but I’m having trouble articulating it :rofl:

Yes totally makes sense! I did this as well when you ge kids were little. Really does make it easier to be reliable!

#18 ~J_F~

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

I would also go 2 days in a row.

I would prefer to get it all out of the way and then enjoy a bulk lot of time at home.

#19 harryhoo

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

Two in a row has always worked for my kids. They started 1 day a week at 14 months, then 2 consecutive days from 2 years to school. Worked well for all of us.

#20 Prancer is coming

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

I work Monday and Tuesday and think that is best!  My work wanted me to work consecutive days.  Whilst the 2 days are hectic, it is then all over and done with and o have 5 days at home.  I can relax and son’t think about work.  I also get lots of public holidays, but I actually find it a pain as given I work only 2 days, 1 day in a week is not enough to do my work.  Our child care does not charge for public holidays, but even if they did, I get paid from work for public holidays so don’t mind paying.

I used to work Monday and Fridays (only time child care had days available).  I actually found it a pain as going back to work was always hanging over my head and did not feel like a proper break for me.  It was good in terms of getting on top of jobs that did not happen when at work Nd meal prep.  Though working 2 days in a row often means the house in a mess, but I have 5 days to sort it.

#21 Carmen_Sandiego

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Working consecutive days has always worked best for me when PT . Do work in the first half of  the week and then switch over to hone mode and don’t think of answering emails etc.
Both my kids have always done Mon and wed at childcare and then tues with grandparents. It’s worked fine having the day odd in between but I would  not do more than one day off in between.

Edited by Carmen_Sandiego, 14 July 2018 - 09:04 PM.

#22 Lou-bags

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

I’ve done Tues/Thurs and Thurs/Friday with mine at various times. Both worked ok.

I don’t like working Fridays when I’m part time as I find it’s generally the least productive day for the full timers and it’s harder to keep up a good work rate if others are gearing down for the weekend. And I wouldn’t want Monday to be a regular booked day at childcare and have to pay for days I can’t use (public holidays).

Our centre’s busiest days are Tues and Thursday.

You can nearly always book a Monday or Friday as a casual day in the nursery and pretty much guaranteed in the preschool room (they have a big capacity and the ratio of kids to carers is higher.

#23 StartledFlamingo

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

I work 3 or 4 days a week. I have found having a non-weekend break of more than one day hard at work. One day worth of emails etc isn't too hard to catch up on, but 2 or more days always makes me feel like I'm out of the loop and having to spend more time catching up.

Two work days together is quite doable - leftovers one night and something quick to cook the second night then you're through to a day off.

#24 melanieb530

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

I have always had a break too instead of consecutive  days as i find it’s easier to catch up on what’s happening if you have only missed one or two work days, reply to clients etc more promptlywhen people only need to wait a day or two till you’re back in the office instead of most of a week.

I’d suggest Tuesday and Thursday.

I find it easier if I need to get out of the house early and home late it’s easier to know I get a break (don’t need to rush to get up and dressed etc) the next day. I can also cook double portions of dinner on my non work day and have the leftovers on the following work day.

Also when the kids get sick for two days in row I’ve found it easier as I’ll only ever miss one work day instead of two.

Edited by melanieb530, 15 July 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#25 fluffybun

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies it’s given me a lot to think about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.