what days for childcare?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 JomoMum

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:50 AM

If you were doing 3-4 days, I would recommend a day off in between.

But for 2 days, it’s really not necessary.

Most childcare educators would recommend 2 consecutive days, for continuity for the child. Going on a Monday, and then say a Wednesday or Thursday is like his first day every time.

For us, DS has always coped better with consecutive days. He knows he’s there for however many days (3-4 historically) and then home. Even now at 4.5 if he has a day off (we had a special holiday day last week where we did some fun things together) he struggled going back the next day as he’d been home the day before.

Obviously only you know your child best and what will suit him.

#27 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

My first child went Monday and Thursday. My second child went Thursday and then friday. They both go to my mums on Tuesday. They also now go mon, thurs and Friday. I tend to work Monday and Friday from home but not always for the same business that employed me on tues and thurs. the weeks when I don’t get a chance to work Friday my emails come Tuesday are redonk. Obviously is depends on the job but I couldn’t do two consecutive days in the office as the first day would be spent going through a weeks worth of emails.

My youngest started day care young he was fine at the start but by the time he was the same age as DS1 when DS1 started he got hard to drop off. I actually find the friday hardest to drop him off as he on Monday his had us home for the weekend, and on Thursday he has had one of us home on the Wednesday but Friday he hasn’t had the attention he wants on Thursday from us. I have found it the same for settling in with consecutive days and with days in between. Maturity is the only thing that has helped with the tears for mine. (My oldest now pushes me out the door!)

#28 Orangecake

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

I'm with the consecutive days :)

Some advice I had was when you have Monday off, you actually make the most of your Sunday rather than getting ready for work!

Personally I find it a pain to have public holidays when working part-time. In a professional role, the work needs to get done regardless and it generally results in bringing work home and/or working longer days to catch up.

#29 Illiterati

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:01 PM

If it is hard to get childcare in your area or at your preferred centre then asking for a Monday can be a good way to get your foot in the door because so many don’t like Mondays.

#30 Agnetha

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

We preferred the days split ( plus suits my type of work ). If dd got  sick , she had days between to get over it ( particularly Illnesses that have an exclusion time ie gastro , conjunctivitis)
When she was 4 , we went to three days , 2 consecutive , then break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.