2nd birthday food

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbaubles

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

Just wondering whether i'd be a terrible parent if I served fairy bread at my 2 year olds party..

She's never had it before (but i'm sure would love it) and it fits really well with the theme of her party.

I'm also going to have plenty of fruit and other healthy stuff..

Any other suggestions for rainbow foods for a morning tea?

#2 Serinitynow

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

Why would you be a terrible parent? Cause it doesn’t have a 5 star health rating? It’s a party. Go for food they will love.

#3 walkingFish

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

I don’t see any sue with fairy bread at a party. I think at the 2 year old parties we had last year, it was at about half.

At that age, parents are usually picking what goes on a kids plate anyway.

That said, I don’t really u derstand the hand wringing about these types of things - perhaps we just don’t have enough friends!

Other rainbow stuff..... jelly cups, vegetable flat bread pizza (arrange toppings in colour bands), fruit rainbows, biscuits or cakes

#4 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

According to my 4yo, the essential party foods are fairy bread, watermelon, and cake. I don’t think it would be an issue, you could use wholemeal multigrain bread to offset the sugar ;)

#5 Bigbaubles

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Ok thanks guys.

I just didn't want parents complaining that i'm sugaring up their small children.

Little rainbow jelly cups actually sound really awesome too!

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Don't worry OP, it will be the adults secretly polishing it off before the kiddies even see it anyway...

#7 Daffy2016

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

You could do fruit skewers - piece of watermelon, piece of rockmelon, piece of honeydew, piece of pineapple etc so you have rainbow colours.

And go with white bread for fairy bread, I reckon. Some things can only properly be enjoyed in their purest form!

#8 opethmum

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

Just have some fruit there on the table with the fairy bread, I would not complain about fairy bread, you go to a party knowing that there is going to be party food. If some parent wants to have a bee in their bonnet then that is their problem.

Perhaps trial fairy bread with your DD beforehand no point serving it if she does not like it.

I hope she has a wonderful day.

#9 eponee

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 15 July 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

You could do fruit skewers - piece of watermelon, piece of rockmelon, piece of honeydew, piece of pineapple etc so you have rainbow colours.

And go with white bread for fairy bread, I reckon. Some things can only properly be enjoyed in their purest form!

this 100%  Dont poison fairy bread by using wholegrain bread

#10 Mooples

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 15 July 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

Don't worry OP, it will be the adults secretly polishing it off before the kiddies even see it anyway...

Most of the fairy bread at my son’s second birthday party was consumed by guests over 25. They are the ones that requested it, I’m sure the kids loved it too.

#11 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

We did rainbow jelly slice for my Dd's rainbow party- easy but you need to start a couple of days before. Kids loved it.

ETA - this is a better recipe

https://playandgo.co...elights-recipe/

Edited by MarigoldMadge, 15 July 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Umm is it even a party if there isn't fairy bread???

#13 Holly298

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

I do sushi fairy bread! Just flatten out the bread (crusts off) and roll up once the sprinkles are on and cut into little bite size fairy bread pieces!

Edited by Holly298, 15 July 2018 - 04:56 PM.

#14 Bigbaubles

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 15 July 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I legit haven't ever had fairy bread for any party ever...

*ducks*

#15 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostDrat, on 15 July 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

I legit haven't ever had fairy bread for any party ever...

*ducks*

Geez.. how depressing those parties must be ;)

#16 Bigbaubles

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 15 July 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

Geez.. how depressing those parties must be Posted Image

I meant my own parties as a kid or any that i've thrown myself.

It's ok but not something i'm super into.
Actually come to think of it I don't think i've ever even bought the white bread that it typically is made with!! haha. Well at least i'm giving my daughter the experience.

#17 Chelli

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:30 PM

I went to a 2 year old party today and it was the teenagers who asked for the fairy bread! It's definitely a hit and it's a party, so no harm in having some treats.

#18 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

Fairy bread made with nuttelex is egg free and dairy free and nut free. Perfect party food for a bunch of kiddies with allergies. We always have it at parties.

Fairy bread, lolly bags, cake, you name it, just serve it up. Parents can monitor their own kids. It's a party after all.

#19 Jingleflea

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

I go to kids parties for the fairy bread!

And someone who shall remain nameless served it made on grainy bread, it was horrible. Please don't try to make it 'better' by putting it on wholegrain bread.

I love it so much I'll be buying an Erstwilder brooch this week that is fairy bread.

#20 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Ha ha DD insists on it being on whole meal multigrain, as she doesn’t like white bread. For her party I did half white half wmmg.

#21 Lou-bags

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 15 July 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Right? I don’t know if I’ve ever even attended a kids party where there was no fairy bread?!?

#22 Ellie bean

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

A friend of mine (no kids) had to go to a 3yo birthday a few weeks ago that was an entirely sugar free party, she said it was bloody awful- do the fairy bread!!

#23 newmumandexcited

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Um you’d be a terrible parent not to. Sugar free parties are the worst.

#24 babybug15

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

It's a kids birthday party. Not lunch everyday.

Fairy bread is great!

As are rainbow mini cupcakes & biscuits.

A couple of "healthier" rainbow options:

Rainbow fruit slices/skewers.
Vegetables (strips of red capsicum, yellow capsicum, carrot, cumber) and dip.
Mini quiches which are topped with different types of bright coloured vegetables.

#25 Bigbaubles

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

View Post~LM~, on 15 July 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Fairy bread made with nuttelex is egg free and dairy free and nut free. Perfect party food for a bunch of kiddies with allergies. We always have it at parties.

Fairy bread, lolly bags, cake, you name it, just serve it up. Parents can monitor their own kids. It's a party after all.

Thanks for that tip with nuttelex! I have a friends kid who has egg and dairy allergies and I always try to do something that she can have so this will be awesome.
Actually pretty much everything i'm making will be nut/egg/dairy free except the cake which will only be dairy free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.