Best first birthday present

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sparklearkle

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

What was the best first birthday present your child received?
Got a couple of 1sts coming up so interested to know! Usually I just stick with books!

#2 l-m-n-o-p

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

I usually get these crayons for first birthdays - they are something that they will 'grow into' in the year following that milestone.

#3 mandala

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

I like to get new bath toys. Bath toys are hard to keep clean and it's great to have new ones ready to go.

#4 eponee

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

How about a special cake knife that can be used to cut their first, and subsequent, birthday cakes (and maybe even their wedding cake)?

A lovely sentimental gift.

#5 JBH

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

I often buy a book for the child and a bottle of champagne for the parents (or chocolate, if i’m not sure whether they drink alcohol).

#6 joeyinthesky

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

The first birthday presents that were used the most here were: water play table (cheapie from Kmart) good quality stacking cups, a pack of big paper sheets/good crayons, and a collection of different size, texture, pattern balls. And books. Lots of books.

#7 Em Melb

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

Royal Dulton Bunnykins set (plate, bowl, cup) with matching fork and spoon

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

Duplo. They grow into it over the following year.

#9 Luci

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

A set of wooden building blocks.

#10 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

My sons favourite was a ride-on Thomas. Still gets plenty of use at age 3.

#11 *Melstar*

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

Our most used items over time would be:
*duplo
*wooden food / kitchen
*lovely hard cover books, think Enid Blyton classics
*kids music cds / stories on cd (I still like cds because cd players from kmart are cheap and you can teach kids how to use fairly easily)

The above list applies to girls and boys.

Edited by *Melstar*, 21 July 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#12 Silly Old Elf

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Duplo or bookstore great. Don’t buy large plastic toys unless the parents agree.
At that age the ‘lift the flap’ books are a massive hit!

#13 Hands Up

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

Duplo/ mega bloks

Bath crayons

Etch-a-sketch

Book

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

Duplo has been a massive hit with my boys.

They alternate between that & the vTech toot toot cars.

Olus the 2 year old spends hours 'reading' his books - the 'that's not my' series  is brilliant.

#15 harryhoo

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

My 6 year old still plays with his blocks that came with a trolley that he got for his first birthday. It was a really good quality one and is still in perfect condition! Depends how much you want to spend obviously!
The bamboo or melamine plate sets are great.
We love books/puzzles/wooden toys in our house too.

#16 jayskette

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:33 PM

Best first presents are always for the parents. A date night gift card!

#17 lizzzard

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

I adore Bunnykins bowls and cups- so classic and something I kept and used even as a teenager!!

#18 aluminium

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

My kids got far too many toys when they were one. I preferred the keepsake: moneybox, Bunnikins royal doulton stuff, jointed teddy bears etc.

I like books.

#19 4lilchicks

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

I love things they can keep. My DDs received beautiful snow globes from the jewellers and bracelets. My DSs received special diecast cars. I think books are fantastic too.

#20 EmmDasher

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:47 PM

Personally, we are not at all into keepsakes.

We love useful, practical gifts, things like:
- swimming togs/towel
- raincoat/gum boots/umbrella
- solid watering can, one good quality spade and a bucket.
- Tupperware stacking buckets are particularly great and double as beach toys.
- brush/hair clips
- tea set
- baby/good quality doll clothing
- Replay dinnerware (except the cutlery)
- metal cutlery set
- drink bottle
- dress up costumes
- kids size football/soccer ball/sports gear
- books - the Herve Tullet Press Here series is my current go to.

My girls both loved dolls, prams and books best from their first birthdays.

Edited by EmmDasher, 24 July 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#21 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

View Postaluminium, on 24 July 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

My kids got far too many toys when they were one. I preferred the keepsake: moneybox, Bunnikins royal doulton stuff, jointed teddy bears etc.

I like books.

What do you do with the keepsakes though? My boys have little silver trains, music boxes, my first tooth boxes and fancy picture frames. They’re all in a cupboard somewhere. I feel too guilty to throw them out, but we have nowhere to display them. So they’re taking up valuable cupboard space instead. The one train I did display is now in 5 pieces because the kids got to it and playe with it now I’m missing bits. Lost the top of a rosary box too. I’m all for more practical gifts.

At least toys can be given away or thrown away once the kids grow out of them.

#22 Crombek

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

I like giving a hardcover classic book with a small inscription that they can grow into. Even if they never read them they look gorgeous on a bookshelf.

#23 EmmDasher

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 25 July 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

What do you do with the keepsakes though? My boys have little silver trains, music boxes, my first tooth boxes and fancy picture frames. They’re all in a cupboard somewhere. I feel too guilty to throw them out, but we have nowhere to display them. So they’re taking up valuable cupboard space instead. The one train I did display is now in 5 pieces because the kids got to it and playe with it now I’m missing bits. Lost the top of a rosary box too. I’m all for more practical gifts.

I donate most of it. I’m grateful for the thought but we have no space and no use for that kind of stuff.

#24 aluminium

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 25 July 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

I guess both girls only received three or four keepsakes and they have them in their "special box of baby things". One is a pewter money box, the Bunnykins sets, and a musical snow globe with a horse in it. They take them out every so often. They're easy to store and if they want to throw them out when they are older they can - but for now, it is nice to talk about how Aunty E bought this because she likes x and thought you might like it. etc.

ETA/ We're a book-family, so we have a full couple of shelves of keepsake books too - they get read and re-read, over and over.

Edited by aluminium, 25 July 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#25 Moo point

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

My best friend bought DS a dinosaur pillow pet. Started his love of dinosaurs and 5 years later it is still a prized possession and bedtime companion :)

Other winners were the walker (got many years out of that, now handed down to our nephew), Duplo and a pull along wooden train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.