Birthday party food?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oldone

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

We have two kids coming to DD's 9th birthday party who are anaphalactic to nuts, eggs and dairy. I'm just trying to think of party food that will be ok for them to eat without making a big fuss of them having different stuff.

We were planning on getting pizza (20 kids coming) and having an assortment of chips, lollies and some token fruit/veggies but am now unsure.

I'll make some fruit platters, cut up veggies etc, but are there any specific lollies or chips that are safe to eat?

Also, we have all of those allergens in full swing in our house. Is the fruit etc ok to eat if we cut it with knives/chopping boards that have been in the dishwasher, but may have come into contact with the allergens at some point in their lives?
TIA

ETA is there any kind of cake substitute I can take for them? I've already made the birthday cake, so I can't really redo that, but maybe cupcakes or special cookies from somewhere?

Edited by oldone, 24 July 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

Talk to the children's parents. They might prefer to supply food for their child.

#3 A NEW HOPE

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

Fairy bread with nuttelex

#4 aluminium

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

Clean your knives, boards and prep surfaces with a scrubbing brush and hot water before doing any party prep.

Speak with the parents - ask about preferred safe foods and brands.

Read all labels to double check. Allergens should be in bold print.

My DD is ANA to tree nuts and peanuts. She's OK with having a separate plate of snacks - and she appreciates it (as do I) when friends make the effort to provide for her.

We generally find (in regards to nuts) that the Natural Company lollies and Smiths chips are OK.

Instead of pizza, can you switch to nachos? That way they can leave the cheese off their own serving, and generally corn chips are nut-free. I guess you can now order dairy-free vegan pizzas at Dominos, can't you?

We serve ice-cream to gluten-free and nut-free kids in lieu of cake. Not sure if there are any egg components in ice cream? This could be a possibility.

You should also check with parents that the ANA kids have their EpiPens at drop off.

ETA/ We've been at parties where nuts have been served, and had a close call with a chocolate bar plonked on a dessert (that was handed to DD as her special treat instead of the cake) but it  turned out to be a Snickers bar ! Close call there!

If you can avoid serving the allergens that would be good - if not, just make it really clear to the kids what foods are safe and what aren't, and have a label by the plate.

Edited by aluminium, 24 July 2018 - 08:57 PM.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

Air popped popcorn is great.

But as per pp's talk to the parents, we have a couple of kinds at kindy with serious allergies & their parents just bring their kids food to parties (birthday cupcake included for one child).

There are chip brands out there which are allergy friendly - individually sealed packets are good to reduce cross contamination.

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Definitely speak to parents re brands they eat etc. Separate plate is a great idea and label it clearly so other children don't eat some/cross-contaminate. If you can make a cute little separate section  on the table with their special brand treats, I would do that.
We know a child with those allergies and find vegan donuts (from a fancy pants bakery) are usually a good option.

The parents will probably be happy to have a chat, it's nice to know people make the effort to include.

#7 kpingitquiet

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

We had a nut/egg free party recently and we served lollies, chips, jelly cups, meat/veg wraps from woolworths (just ask for no cheese or mayo), then the cake which is easy to make egg-free and fondant icing has none of those. That said, I agree that parents of anaphylactic kids often have freezers stocked with birthday cupcakes. You could even make a small personal pizza with vegan cheese, cooked separately from the other kids'.

#8 Girlo

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

My local woolies does sushi platters that we order for every party we have. Is something like that an option?

#9 FeelingcLucky

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:25 PM

As others have said, I would go directly to the parents and ask them - they will either bring their own food or have suggestions and confirm how to prepare safely.

Home made Hummus with carrots / celery / cucumber and capsicum was a thought for food you could offer but run past the parents

#10 EmmDasher

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

I did egg/dairy free but I wasn’t looking out for nuts for our party. I did popcorn, honeyjoys and fairy bread subbing butter for nuttelex, meatballs, fruit, veg sticks and home made guacamole and plain chips. I don’t think any of those things had nuts but I didn’t checked. I did chat with the parents and check that what I was doing was ok (no anaphylaxis).

#11 kpingitquiet

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Girlo, on 24 July 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

My local woolies does sushi platters that we order for every party we have. Is something like that an option?

Beware! Aussie sushi platters tend to be caked in mayo, in and outside the rolls. Mayo is an egg product.

#12 anatomicalheart

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

IME the easiest way to make sure there isn't any fuss over them having "different stuff" is to make all of the stuff safe- or, as safe as you can.

I realise you've already done the cake but otherwise could the party food just be dairy, nut and egg free?

And TBH, I'd probably skip the pizza if there's a child anaphylactic to cheese attending.

You'll still have to read labels, but you could have foods like:

Corn chips (plain salted), with dip of choice- salsa or hommus

Plain salted chips/crisps

Rice crackers

Gummy lollies/ lollipops/jellybeans

Mini packets of things where kids could choose their own (like multi pack chips- that way the parents aren't worried about cross contamination)

Mini hot dogs or meatballs in bread rolls spread with Nuttalex

Marinated chicken wings

Some brands of puff pastry are vegan- with those, you could make sausage rolls.

I've once pulled out an assortment of icypoles where every choice was safe for the child with the allergy, and that they could choose anything they liked was really appreciated by child and parent.

#13 ipsee

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:28 PM

Vegan chocolate cake is good and easy to make. But you may find the families are keen to avoid sugar also...

Plain smiths chips have pretty safe ingredients.

#14 CuriousMe

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:15 AM

My DD is allergic to those foods (and others) and tends to eat plain popcorn and fruit at parties. However, I also always bring food for her.

Are the kids being dropped off or parents attending too?  I would speak to them about whether they will be providing food and what they would like you to do.

Read all ingredients for preprepared food - eg Mayo has egg in it, egg glaze on baked goods, egg in store bought meatballs, sausage rolls etc, butter on sandwiches.

#15 oldone

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

Thanks everyone. I went shopping and did lots of label reading. We ended up with lots of fruit, cut up veggies and lollies (that were everything-free) plain chips, plain corn-chip + salsa and some other stuff. In the end I decided against pizza or any kind of 'meal' just loaded up on fruit and veggies and figured the parents could do dinner afterwards.  

I didn't want them to have different food, so aside from the cake, I tried to get it so everything was possible if they wanted to eat it. I was mostly concerned about traces from my house full of gluten, eggs, dairy being on knives and chopping boards. I had a chat with their mums before they left (both DH and I both have annual epi-pen training and the mums were both pretty relaxed) and it all went well.

Thanks again. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.