when do I stop chopping up food into tiny pieces?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

DD is 8m and eats things like oats with fruit, quinoa porridge, brown rice porridge, scrambled eggs, lentil soups, shredded chicken, salmon etc.
She has tried all fruits and vegetables.

The problem is that I am still chopping up foods into tiny tiny pieces and hand feeding them to her. When I say teeny tiny pieces, think of tic tac and then halve it.... I will often put several of these pieces of food in her mouth (unless its a spoon fed meal like a stew, or porridge )..and she will make chewing sounds and smack her lips and move her jaw.

DD also sometimes gets carried away eating and will burst out laughing or start blabbing or making sounds and I just worry that if there was a bigger piece in her mouth that it could cause her to choke.

The problem that I have is that I see people talk finger foods and they are all large pieces ..larger then what I am giving...and I can't seem to make myself offer something that big in fear of choking. How can I transition into giving her bigger pieces and when should I do that? How can I get over my fear of her choking?

Edited by PandoBox, 25 July 2018 - 07:44 PM.

#2 Hands Up

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Give her large, soft pieces (roast pumpkin etc) and she’ll bite off what she can handle. Keep close. Remember there’s a difference between gagging and choking.

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

Look up the difference between gagging and choking. All kids gag on their food at some point, not many actually choke. And do baby-specific first aid that includes choking. Knowledge is power.

#4 BBC

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

Try some soft things she can hold in her hand and suck bits off and "chew" with her tongue and gums.

Suggestions
Boiled potato
Soft cooked carrots
Banana
Peas
Kiwifruit
Ripe pear
Milk arrowroot biscuits or baby rusks

It's a while ago now, but I can't remember ever cutting things up that small. I'd either mash it and feed with a spoon, or do things the baby could hold.

#5 PandoBox

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

I've looked at the difference between gagging and choking. I know gagging is beneficial. I guess I am just struggling to get over the fear of giving her soft larger finger foods.

#6 Jenflea

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

She's only 8 months, there's no rush.
Maybe next time you cut an avocado or hard boil an egg, just give her some.
I think DD's first solid food was a pizza crust that she gummed on!

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Danger foods are things like round grapes, cherry tomatoes, big blueberries, sausage (cut into circles)... think, that smooth round size and shape that perfectly blocks a little windpipe. Soften foods by steaming and cut them into skinny sticks and your bub will be able to play around and figure it out with minimal risk.

#8 Soontobe7

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

I get it. I've had 5 babies and my DD is 12 months old.
I still feel the fear when she is gagging and turning red! I know she is not choking but it still scares me.
Milk arrowroot with lots of butter is a good one.
Also corn on the cob because they can't break off a huge chunk just corn kernels.
Also soft cooked veggies, broccoli and cauliflower are good ones.

#9 Bono25

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

Lamb chops are another one coz they can hold it and suck on it. Good for iron too

#10 RochelleRochelle

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Just gradually increase the size of the pieces you are giving and see how she goes. 9mo DS especially enjoys long, thin pieces of banana, slices of cheese (sliced thinly enough to break off when he gums on them), strawberries cut into 4 or 6 lengthwise, toast soldiers, chunks of soft pear, kiwi or roast sweet potato, and mandarin segments cut into thirds. If you are feeling very nervous about it, you can also try some of the baby snacks that essentially dissolve in their mouths (baby puffs and mum mums, I think). If she can cope with textured food like porridge, she might do a lot better with larger pieces than you might expect.

#11 Hands Up

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

My other piece of advice, for a baby that is used to purée, is to offer both. Stick a toast finger in her hand to suck on inbetween mouthfuls of porridge. I never subscribed to one way of feeding.

#12 Apageintime

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:24 PM

Its actually harder to choke on something big like a lamb chop than peices of something. When you can bite off an appropriate size for your own mouth you are less likely to try something too big and increase your chocking risk

Just let her go for it.

#13 Mooples

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

It’s important she starts to have the opportunity to feed herself too. Developing the skills needed to pick up the food and having the coordination to get it in her mouth is a big part of the learning to eat process. As others have said, strips of steamed fruit and veggies are a good start as they turn to mush in their mouth.

#14 AdelTwins

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Pumpkin - cut into 1cm cubes.
Zucchini/carrot - 1/4 then slice approx 1/2cm wide.

Steam until very mushy. Let it cool and then add to their tray.
At that age you could also try individual peas and corn kernels. Over cooked pasta spirals go down a treat too.

Edited by AdelTwins, 26 July 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#15 Holly298

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:17 PM

Stop putting food into her mouth, she needs to learn to bite off appropriate size pieces for her mouth , I know it’s hard but she has to teach herself how to bite, chew and swallow the older she gets the harder it will be - we did BLW from the beginning but if she’s not used to bigger pieces yet as pp said give her lamb cutlets, she will learn to gum and nibble off bits, corn on the cob, she will learn to gum off the kernels, a whole apple - never give it in pieces as her little mouth will gnaw/gum/bite off tiny bites of apple appropriately sized for her mouth, a whole plain rice cake (they suck/gum off little bits) whole banana, a whole watermelon slice, a big wedge of avocado, pasta of any size ect and I always showed DS how to eat it , it sounds silly but they do copy you!

#16 Babetty

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

It's much easier to give them a big piece and let them gum / gnaw now, when they have few teeth and can't take big bites, than later when they have more teeth. So hand over rusks, toast fingers, lamb cutlets, slices of fruit etc and your DD will figure it out.

And in terms of what you cut up for her - try increasing to tic tac size and slowly go up, as much for your peace of mind than her!

#17 PandoBox

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:40 PM

thanks all

We've moved on to bigger pieces (bigger then a tactic LOL)... still not doing finger foods.  Ive tried but. she just plays with it...squeezes it between her fingers and then it ends up someplace else. I guess ill keep trying.

#18 *molly*

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

That’s good if she plays with it. It’s a good sensory activity and great for fine motor skills.

Read up on baby led weaning. It’s very encouraging for explaining how and why babies need to learn to feed themselves.

I gave my babies soft finger foods to play with at each meal and then spooned in a bit of purée if they wanted it. Was easy to just phase out the purée and both quickly preferred to feed themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.