Kid's birthday cake ideas that don't include frosting...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 lonestranger

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

DS-about-to-be-4 won't tolerate frosting of any kind.
I'm wondering if anyone has any birthday cake ideas that don't include frosting? We don't want to go too elaborate, but would be nice if it was mildly exciting to look at.
Previous cakes have been cream and strawberry topping (1), Little digger trucks with chocolate rocks and a train track (i.e. Thomas train on top of chocolate covered finger things). As you can see, we are big fans of putting pre-made stuff on top of cakes - we are both terrible decorators!
I was thinking a rainbow of cut fruit on whipped cream as the 'topping' - he does love rainbows - but am really wanting some ideas!

#2 MakesMeHappy

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

Does he like chocolate? You could do a piñata chocolate cake, it’s not really a cake but looks cool

#3 eponee

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

https://www.google.c...5kc-BOYYigu1UM:

#4 StartledFlamingo

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

DS's favourite cake has been a freddo frog ice cream one, straight from the supermarket.

You could do a sea/ pond cake where you scoop out some of the top of the cake and thrown in jelly, a bit mushed. Blue or green jelly with lolly fish or chocolate frogs, or even a few small sea creature toys (or Octonauts if he's into them). It gets a bit soggy so do the jelly with a bit less water than the instructions and put it in at the very last minute.

Construction site - uniced chocolate a bit cut/ messed up on top. Or, I heard of someone using ice magic to stick things onto a chocolate cake recently.

Really, though, any cake they can just eat the cake part and ignore the icing.

#5 Grrrumbles

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Have you thought about an edible printed decal. You can buy ready made or have one printed at a cake shop. You need a bit of something to adhere it but it wouldn’t really feel like frosting. You can serve him a middle bit if you make an oblong shaped cake.

#6 lonestranger

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:00 PM

View Posteponee, on 29 July 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

Oh that is cool! Of course, he doesn't like smarties....!

#7 chicken_bits

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

Icecream cake.

#8 Mrs Claus

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Donuts?

#9 Prancer is coming

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

You don’t have to make an actual cake!  We have served up slice before.  Particularly ones like caramel slice, which has chocolate on top.  Does he like chocolate?  Chocolate ganache, or even straight melted chocolate would work.  Or what about some sort of marshmallow icing.  Or meringue?  Or just stick lollies on the cake.

ETA - just remembered Jelly!  You could do a swimming pool cake. Put chocolate sticks around cake that are a bit higher than a cake and then pour on almost set blue jelly.  The add some sort of figurine of a swimmer/surfer or whatever your kid likes doing in the water.  Or green jelly and add farm animals?

Edited by Prancer is coming, 29 July 2018 - 10:40 PM.

#10 laridae

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

For DD1's first birthday we did a pirate ship cake using the Nordicware pirate ship tin. Just plain cake, no icing. Decorated it with tiny teddies as pirates (used a little black food colouring to paint on eyepatches) and paper sails. We did use the gel icing pens to add some accents but it's not really necessary.
They have a whole range of shaped cake tins (castles etc) and they are quite detailed, so look nice plain (or with a few accents). Icing would hide the detail anyway.

This wasn't it, but it uses the same tin https://goo.gl/images/QSGejk

This is the castle one https://www.nordicwa...nd-castle-cake/

Edited by laridae, 29 July 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#11 just roses

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:01 PM

Sandcastle cakes are dead easy and look fantastic! You crush up biscuits to make 'sand' and spread them all over the cake. Add little umbrellas, a tiny beach ball and other props.

You could spread a thin layer of cream over the cake - or even jam? - just so the sand has something to stick to.

#12 ipsee

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

Coles has some shaped cake tins at the moment like spiderman and frozen. If the cake comes out nicely you could get away without icing. Or you could dust with icing sugar.

#13 lonestranger

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:42 PM

All good ideas, thank you so much! He isn't a big fan of chocolate (NO idea where he gets that from), but we might try him on jelly to see if that works. His only instruction for the cake was 'vanilla', so I think he will be impressed with whatever we produce...

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

I know this is not what you're after, but I have two kids who won't eat icing but still like impressive cakes - we just cut the top (icing) off their pieces...

#15 BECZ

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

I made one of my kids a rainbow cake once.  It's decorated with sugar coloured by food colouring.  From memory it had a small amount of icing to cover the sides and underneath to help hold the sugar crystals in place, but you could probably use a small amount of cream for this.

I'm sure it's in one of my birthday cake books, let me know if you want me to have a look.  It was very simple.

#16 QuirkyMum

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:12 AM

I'd make a simple "zebra cake" then ( Make butter cake batter, divide into two parts and add a bit of cocoa powder to the second half, it won't taste very chocolaty, just the colour. Pour white half into cake tin, then pour dark batter into the middle of the tin. I also like to swirl without mixing). It will look fun without any decorations and really is like a zebra.
I'm not a fan of jelly but I have seen really cool birthday jelly creations with all sorts of gummy bears/snakes/animals trapped in pools of multicoloured jelly!

#17 overlytired

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:14 AM

If he likes jelly and vanilla, he may enjoy a jelly roll?

https://www.tasteofh...ing-jelly-roll/
https://www.cookingl...ll-jelly-roll-5

ETA: If by jelly you mean gelatin, then disregard :-)

Edited by overlytired, 30 July 2018 - 02:16 AM.

#18 eponee

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

View Postlonestranger, on 29 July 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

Oh :no2:   Use any other lolly

#19 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

View Postlonestranger, on 29 July 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

You don’t have to use smarties.. your lolly choice is only limited by your imagination!

Can’t the kid scrap the icing off, plenty of people do that or you could even cut it off when you are serving.

Or you could use ganache.

Edited by ~J_F~, 30 July 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#20 Riotproof

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

You could use skittles in lieu of smarties?

Does he like pavlova? Top with cream and rainbow fruit

#21 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:44 AM

Hi OP. My son doesn't really like cake, or icing, or... anything really. If you simply scrape the icing off, he spits it out anyway!

So we're considering getting him one of those Mrs Fields giant cookies, with no icing or decoration. Or maybe just a stack of their normal-sized plain cookies.

Or we may make him some doughnuts - but they would have to be yeast-based (like the Canadian "beaver tails" my husband recently made), not cake-like.

Good luck with coming up with a cake your son will like!

#22 lonestranger

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound rude by saying he doesn’t like smarties. He is kind of fussy when it comes to sweet things - he does like marshmallows though (not a fan of lollies or chocolate either - crazy kid!).
I probably should just cut the icing off, but often if I have to ‘remove’ something from food he shuns the whole thing. First birthday party ever, just want him to not turn his nose up at the cake!
Thanks all for your suggestions, they are all great!

#23 Mollyksy

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

If he likes cream, you can tint it different shades and use like frosting? Otherwise, excellent ideas here! Age 12, the jelly swimming pool cake was my specialty!

#24 CrankyM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

If he likes marshmallows what about a marshmallow frosting? (People make fondant out of marshmallows). I’d be tempted to just go very simple like a Victorian sponge cake, which is basically just sponge cake with cream and strawberries in the center and dusted with icing sugar on top. You can get fancy with the icing sugar dusting if you make a template and lay it on the cake then dust sugar over the top to make whatever image you want.

Another option might be a meringue icing. I often do an Italian meringue icing for cupcakes because where I live buttercream melts as soon as you take it out of the fridge. (Italian meringue is easy as it’s just egg whites whipped up and then boiling sugar syrup added which “cooks” it. It’s sticky and gooey and sweet but easy to pipe as well).

Edited by mayahlb, 30 July 2018 - 09:48 AM.

#25 livelifelovehappy

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

What about a sponge with the dusted icing sugar and berries?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.