Trampoline

7 replies to this topic

#1 angek2

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

I have no clue because I still picture the old school trampolines.
Looking at getting one for Christmas so after recommendations and warnings etc
Thanks

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

Trampolines can be very dangerous, I think everyone knows that, just be aware that injuries can and do happen.

Having said that, we bought one a couple of months ago! and we love it.  We have a round Vuly Lift 2. its about 14 foot diameter (trampolines are generally measured in feet for some reason). It has a good net all around it.  And an optional sun shade. It has a large enough weight rating that DH or I can jump with out kids. Our kids are 3 and 4 now.

I was totally against it at first. its an eye sore in our smallish backyard, and i didnt think we would use it much. But its been great so far. I enjoy it as much as the kids! And guys at work say their kids still use theirs regularly at the age of 12-14.

First week we got it, DS2, 2 years old, walked around the OUTSIDE of the net, along the narrow edge, and fell off. Hit his head badly on our shed. Poor kid.  DS2 is one of those kids that will just find the most unconventional way to hurt himself, on anything. So be aware that even nets and things dont make them safe. And getting on and off the trampoline is one of the trickiest things they have to do. The ladder isn't huge. Use under supervision though, and they can be great fun, and a great way to get outside and exercise.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:05 PM

Oh,  and another thing: the assembly took a while and needed some strength. lots and lots of springs to pull into position. I couldn't have done it without strong DH. Keep that in mind, you may need to pay someone for assembly.

#4 GabrielleA

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

We have one indoors (we live in Saudi) and it has been brilliant. It’s a great way for the kids to bounce off some extra energy, particularly when they’re getting ratty. Friends love it as well. We’re particularly vigilant about no playing underneath it and zipping it up. Enjoy!

#5 cvbn

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

We have had one for 15 years, old school rectangle, no net.
I have replaced the spring covers once.

6 children have/are used/using it, no injuries to speak off.

Strictly one child bouncing at a time but they often lie on it and read, chat with mates or have a picnic away from the ants.

One thing I did that was handy was buy a water proof timer to time bounces and make taking turns less of a hassle. It hangs outside permanently.

They are great to fix bald spots in the lawn and awesome to dry stuff on, car seats and woollen jumpers spring to mind.

#6 A NEW HOPE

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

I am totally against trampolines in kids under 10.Too much risk. When I was 10 I shattered my jaw on one.

#7 ms mel

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

We bought a Vuly a few years ago. So far very happy and my children have not had any injuries. I choose the Vuly as the entrance did not require them to do the zip up themselves, so no chance of leaving it open. Also the friends who have a Springfree, the zipper doesn’t close at all after a few years.
All the best.

#8 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

When I worked in Paediatric ED one of the highest causes of injury was trampolines - obviously kids can hurt themselves on them.

But they are so much fun, and so versatile, as others have said.  Kids also use them for quite a long time - even as teenagers.  Not many other backyard things with that longevity.

My other justification was that the injuries were generally fairly minor..... fractures and sprains, in the main.  I did myself a lot more life-threatening damage with horses when I was young, and the head injuries, fractures and gravel rash that bikes can cause outweighs the severity for me...... but we don't tend to hesitate buying bikes for our kids.

When you look at the myriad of ways kids can hurt themselves just being kids..... I say go for it.

Disclaimer - there are always going to be horror stories.  I am generalising

Edited by Ruf~Feral~es, 31 July 2018 - 03:33 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.