What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

I wonder whether a thread like this might be useful. I know we sometimes discuss the book briefly in the challenge thread, but some people seem to post a lot of books at once.

What do you think?

#2 **Xena**

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

I think this would be good. The other thread feels more like a list so it'd be good to have one that is more discussion.

I'm not reading anything at the moment. My Astrid Lindgren books should be here soon so I'm awaiting them :D

#3 seayork2002

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

One of my usual predictable police procedural series sent in London.

I try and branch out then get annoyed with them then come back to these and then get annoyed all over again

#4 71Cath

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

I'm reading Michael Robotham "The Night Ferry".  Really enjoying it.  I read another of his a couple of weeks ago (The Other Wife), and loved it so much I read it in one day.

#5 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Ooh, yes, I’ve bought a lot of books off the back of EB recommendations over the years!

I’m reading Matt Haig’s How to Stop Time at the moment, enjoying it so far - about a man who ages very slowly so he is hundreds of years old but passes for 40.

#6 hills mum bec

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

View Post71Cath, on 01 August 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm reading Michael Robotham "The Night Ferry".  Really enjoying it.  I read another of his a couple of weeks ago (The Other Wife), and loved it so much I read it in one day.

The Other Wife is on my To Read list.

Just finished reading Jo Jo Moyes "Still Me".  I loved it.  I enjoyed "Me Before You" but hated the ending.  Wasn't a huge fan of the second book "After You" but found "Still Me" to be the best of the trilogy.

Next book on the list is The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society which has recently been made into a movie.

#7 mayahlb

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

I just finished a very light and fluffy romantic comedy book called Huntress by Susan Copperfield. I bought it for 99c to see if I'd like the author before trying her other ones. It wasn't bad actually, good for a light hearted read and a bit different from others I've read.

Glynn Stewart and Terry Mixon are both decent reads if you are looking for Sci-fi/space opera. The bones of the empire series by Terry Mixon was great, well except for the last book (no 8), I didn't enjoy that one. Space battles, strategy, good solid believable characters who are flawed but learn from their mistakes. Glynn Stewart's Hand of Mars series is good, about a young adult who goes out as a "jump mage" (basically use their "magic" to jump ships light years, but things go wrong and it turns into a bit of a space opera type book. They also write a series together.

I've found some great series to read off EB (Nalani Sighn's Guild hunter series for example), though I tend towards reading Urban fantasy/General fantasy/Sci-fi/Paranormal romance and the odd contemporary romance/romantic thriller/historical romance and some crime books here and there.

#8 Nobody Cool

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

I can't believe I am saying this but a friend bought me a copy of Eat Pray Love the other day and insisted I read it.

Strangely enough I am not hating it like I thought I would.

Elizabeth Gilbert is an incredible writer, and I enjoyed Big Magic, which is her non fiction book about creativity. Eat Pray Love has been an unexpected page turner, but I definitely struggled with the middle section in India about her spiritual journey. I skimmed through a lot as it was a bit self-indulgent and naff.

Loving the sections that are based in Rome and Bali though.

Edited by Nobody Cool, 01 August 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

Oh good. I'm glad people are interested.

I'm reading A not quite perfect family by Claire Sandy which is a bit ho hum, but I think I'll try a bit longer.
Next on my agenda is Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. I have read it before and loved it.  Last time I had a reading funk and asked for eb inspiration, so I thought I'd read it again. She does have some other series someone suggested, but I'll have to go find thread.

I also have a Michael Robotham book on my bedside table.. Bomb Proof. I liked the sound of The Other wife too, is it part of a series or standalone?

#10 monet

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

I'm reading The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society.  I thought the letter style writing would put me off but I am enjoying it.

Edited by monet, 01 August 2018 - 06:21 PM.

#11 LettyRaines

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

I’ve just started reading Catherine Steadman’s ‘Something in the Water’. Not bad so far, although I’m only 30 or so pages in; hoping to get more stuck into it tonight before bed. It’s one of those books that suck you in quite quickly.

[blurb on the back says] It’s a physiological thriller about a newlywed couple who, while on their honeymoon, decide to keep a suitcase full of cash they find while scuba diving. It then apparently triggers a chain of devastating events which will endanger them, etc etc.

View PostNasty Bunsen, on 01 August 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

I’m reading Matt Haig’s How to Stop Time at the moment, enjoying it so far - about a man who ages very slowly so he is hundreds of years old but passes for 40.

Oh I loved that one!

#12 Mrs Claus

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 01 August 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Oh good. I'm glad people are interested.

I'm reading A not quite perfect family by Claire Sandy which is a bit ho hum, but I think I'll try a bit longer.
Next on my agenda is Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. I have read it before and loved it.  Last time I had a reading funk and asked for eb inspiration, so I thought I'd read it again. She does have some other series someone suggested, but I'll have to go find thread.

I also have a Michael Robotham book on my bedside table.. Bomb Proof. I liked the sound of The Other wife too, is it part of a series or standalone?

Ooh loved Battleaxe. I’m currently rereading the Elenium by David Eddings

#13 Let-it-go

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

I just finished The Eye of the Sheep.  V good although a tear jerker.

One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline is sitting right next to begging to be opened.  Reading the first page is always the hardest!

#14 Sancti-claws

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

I do love these threads - they do inspire my reserve lists at the library (rather than my usual "have I wandered along this shelf and seen what jumps out at me" challenge which isn't always the most successful).

My current audio book is "The Book of Colours" - I inadvertently lost it for a few days, as once an audiobook goes overdue on Borrowbox it gets sucked back!!

I was reading CJ Cheryh's "Betrayer" but it has been too long since I read the other books in the series and my head is really not in the right space for inter-species politics so have instead picked up "Crampton Hodnet" by Barbara Pym - see instead how some repressive English writing will go.

I seem to have picked up a plethora of WW2 era literature in my latest library foray - will see what strikes.

#15 **Xena**

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostMrs Claus, on 01 August 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Ooh loved Battleaxe. I’m currently rereading the Elenium by David Eddings

I picked up books two and three at a second hand store so I have ordered number one :D

#16 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

The Huguenots - Their Settlements, Churches and Industries in England and Ireland.

Not sure it would make it onto a lot of 'must read' lists. :p

#17 maryanneK

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
took me a while to get into but really enjoying it now
its quite 'worthy' and won all sorts of awards but its not too much like hard work

#18 kidwrangler

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

Yay, a book chat thread. Great idea :)

I've got three on the go at the moment:

Lyrebird Hill by Anna Roma (historical / suspense fiction). It's strange as it jumps between the past and current characters storylines, I'm over halfway and the two are only just starting to overlap beyond being in the same setting, and yet it I'm finding it incredibly compelling reading.

The Girl Before by JP Delaney: although I feel like I want to avoid another in the long line of current 'girl' title books, this is another compelling storyline. I'm only in the opening chapters of this one but loving it.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: I saw the movie and quite liked it, then my daughter read the book and said I should read it too. The storyline has a number of obvious differences to the movie, but I'm really enjoying this dose of sci fi.

#19 teaspoon

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image
So far so good!

#20 Riotproof

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostIce Queen, on 01 August 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

I just finished The Eye of the Sheep.  V good although a tear jerker.

I read that over a weekend and bawled my eyes out.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 01 August 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

I picked up books two and three at a second hand store so I have ordered number one Posted Image

I think it's up your alley. Big world building fantasy, with some great characters.

I'm tempted to buy them too.

#22 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

View Postteaspoon, on 01 August 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

Posted Image
So far so good!

Loved this one - one of those books I foist on anyone who’ll listen!

#23 mayahlb

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

I personally think battleaxe was the best of that series. I couldn’t make it through all the books as I developed an absolute loathing for the main character by about halfway through the third book. I hated the way he behaved and I just couldn’t take it anymore. I put it away for a while and tried to come back to it but as I still wanted to stab the main character half the time and ended up feeling angry after reading the book I had to stop and discard it.

I’m about to start “the long way to a small angry planet” by Becky Chambers. I’ve heard it’s very good and the sample I tried read well.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:10 PM

Maya, I'll let you know what I think on the second read. I don't remember finding him annoying, but weirder things have happened.

It might have been the Troy Game that was also recommended? or Darkglass Mountains

#25 ThreeBananas

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

I was a bit late to the party but just finished 'The Rosie Project'. I'd tried to read it ages ago and couldn't get into it but picked it up again and found it quite gripping. There were aspects I didn't enjoy - apparently he wrote it in 6 weeks or something and I think that showed towards the end but overall, a good read with a very likable main character.

Before that was 'Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine'. Sad, shocking, poignant and funny. Love Eleanor!

Now revisiting my favourite author, Marian Keyes 'The Woman who stole my life' (I always reread Marian when I have nothing else to read- she's like an old friend) and eagerly awaiting Liane Moriarty's new book - Nine Perfect Strangers out September 18.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.