What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#101 ceeshell

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

View PostIce Queen, on 15 August 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

I’m still battlescarred.  A friend said I HAD to read it, I have since almost wept to her ‘why did you do that to me?’  It is just so so so so disturbing and intense and looooooooooong and beyond anything I’ve ever read.  I feel proud of myself that I got through it but I’m mentally scarred forever.

I’m reading The Break at the moment.  Set in Canada.  Heavy going.  Depressing.  But very good.

Why do I do it to myself?

I still think of Jude and Willem and Malcolm and JB almost daily. I’ve come close to tears remembering them months after finishing the book. I’ve found myself concerned for how JB is coping. It is really an extraordinary book.

I’ve just made a note to buy The Break. Apparently I like books that cause me harm.

#102 Let-it-go

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:11 PM

Oh well, in that case read The Scandal too.  I seem to enjoy tormenting myself so much I can’t sleep and want to wage war on the a*s*holes of the universe.  I still rant in my brain about The Scandal but can’t find someone who’ll read it so I can’t share my rants.  I have decided I’m going to make the friend who made me read This Little Life read it as payback.

See, only Jude impacted on me.  I wouldn’t have even been able to remember JB’s name.  I probably think about Harold more.

Edited by Ice Queen, 15 August 2018 - 08:11 PM.

#103 ceeshell

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostIce Queen, on 15 August 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

Oh well, in that case read The Scandal too.  I seem to enjoy tormenting myself so much I can’t sleep and want to wage war on the a*s*holes of the universe.  I still rant in my brain about The Scandal but can’t find someone who’ll read it so I can’t share my rants.  I have decided I’m going to make the friend who made me read This Little Life read it as payback.

See, only Jude impacted on me.  I wouldn’t have even been able to remember JB’s name.  I probably think about Harold more.

Oh, HAROLD.

#104 SarahBelle48

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

I read 'Mummy Bloggers" last week, I was quite frustrated and unsatisfied by the end of it. Two of the three main characters became more and more insufferable. The ending seemed really abrupt too. I will probably still read the sequel though lol, just to see where it goes from there. It did have potential but there were things that weren't really followed through on and things that didn't really make sense at all.

I also just finished reading a book about the Lindt Cafe siege. It wasn't particularly groundbreaking, a lot of the content had already been revealed in news articles and interviews etc but it was interesting to read the complete story together and a lot of the background to what happened that day. It never really occurred to me that there were other people in the same building that had to be somehow evacuated. They revealed that there had actually been a 10-week-old baby trapped with a group in a legal library just across the lobby from the cafe and they were stuck there for hours because no one knew how to get them out safely.

#105 FiveAus

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:47 AM

I tried to listen to the audio version of A Little Life, and sent it back for a refund because I couldn't get into it.

#106 Let-it-go

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostFiveAus, on 16 August 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

I tried to listen to the audio version of A Little Life, and sent it back for a refund because I couldn't get into it.

It’s very, very, very long and takes quite a while before you even realise what the book is about.  I only persisted because this friend was so adamant I should read it and I was on holidays (kid free plane flights) so had the time.  If I had randomly grabbed it from the library, I probably would have given up very quickly.

#107 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

I've just started A Little Life. Only 2 chapters in and haven't got to the serious stuff yet. But there's something pretentious about the writing style. Is it just me?

#108 Let-it-go

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 16 August 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

I've just started A Little Life. Only 2 chapters in and haven't got to the serious stuff yet. But there's something pretentious about the writing style. Is it just me?
Definitely not just you.  I didn’t love the writing style either.  I did learn how to skim read the irrelevant tangents that she goes off on.  The book needed a bloody good edit!

#109 seayork2002

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

I read so many police drama novels I give up listing them but this one is standing out as a little better than most

Lola is missing by Alison James - a start of a series and pretty good

Oh and I am not predicting where the story is heading where I usually do so I am very pleased!

Edited by seayork2002, 20 August 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#110 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

I’m reading the Kingsfountain series by Jeff Wheeler. They are pretty good, fantasy, but what I would consider fantasy-lite in that while their is a small amount of magic it isn’t much and it’s a made up world. Based on historical events though he changes those events (first books is sort of based on Richard III living and the consequences of that). Lots of political manipulation and twisty plot lines. Not necessarily happy ever after for all the characters as well, which kinda makes a bit sad for some characters.

#111 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostIce Queen, on 16 August 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Definitely not just you.  I didn’t love the writing style either.  I did learn how to skim read the irrelevant tangents that she goes off on.  The book needed a bloody good edit!
That's exactly what I've been thinking! Also, has the author actually made up words? Crammedness? Tumoric? Neither of those are recognised by dictionary.com!

#112 Riotproof

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

Why aren't there any books called "the man on the platform" and "the hairdressers son".

#113 IHeartBooks

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

I love these posts, I always end up with a list.

I’m reading Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon which is a cute/funny book about two little old ladies embroiled in a drama at their nursing home.

But, I paused to read my son’s year 7 English text “A Monster Calls” by Patrick Ness because he asked me to. Holy [insert colourful word] it is THE saddest book I’ve ever read. I sobbed and sobbed and was trapped in the bathroom for an hour while my face returned from tomato to pasty.  When I emerged he was waiting to ask me what I thought and I lost it all over again. Poor kid, last time he asks me to read a book.

#114 EmmDasher

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

I’m reading The Chronicles of Prydain at the moment. I’m two in. I know they’re kids books but I never read them as a child. I’m loving them. They’re a simple, quick read but funny and well done. 12 or 13 year old me would have adored them.

I just got Stormglass by Jeff Wheeler on a $2 Kindle deal too. I enjoyed his Kingfountain series so I’m happy to try his new series at that price.

Rounding it out, I’ve also picked up Meg Cowley’s Caledan Trilogy for 99c. Sounds interesting and gets ok reviews... how bad can it be!

#115 Let-it-go

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

I’m reading The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.  Has anyone else read it?  I don’t mind it but not loving it.

#116 rollinginthepages

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#117 FiveAus

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:14 AM

View PostIce Queen, on 20 August 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

I’m reading The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.  Has anyone else read it?  I don’t mind it but not loving it.

I listened to the audio book. I got through it so it must have been OK, but I don't remember a whole lot about it.

#118 hills mum bec

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

View PostLettyRaines, on 20 August 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Almost halfway through book one of The Passage, by Justin Cronin. It’s rather good so far; I haven’t wanted to put it down, but I guess sleep is important...

I loved The Passage trilogy, couldn't put those books down!

#119 rollinginthepages

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#120 hills mum bec

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostLettyRaines, on 31 August 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

Finished The Passage Trilogy a few days ago, wow it was brilliant. Bummed I finished it. Will be revisiting one day, for sure.

It's being made into a TV show on Foxtel.

#121 FiveAus

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

View Posthills mum bec, on 03 September 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

It's being made into a TV show on Foxtel.

Is it fantasy? I can't get into vampires and the undead etc.

#122 hills mum bec

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostFiveAus, on 03 September 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Is it fantasy? I can't get into vampires and the undead etc.

Vampire apocolypse - end of the world as we know it type stuff.

#123 steppy

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

Just finished The Outsider by Stephen King. It was a well polished book but I miss the Stephen King of old sometimes.

#124 **Xena**

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

Wrong thread

Edited by **Xena**, 03 September 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#125 two_ones

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:04 AM

I just finished 'Little Fires Everywhere'. It was great, couldn't put it down!

It's now being made into a miniseries by Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.