What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#126 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:38 AM

I just finished Faithful by Alice Hoffman - not too bad.

Next beside my bed is a choice inspired by a Conversations I heard with the author - I don't as a rule read thrillers, so still not sure how I will go.  Its Hades by Candice Fox.

#127 Riotproof

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

I stayed up far too late trying to finish Enchanter. I think it's only a chapter or two to go.

#128 hills mum bec

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

Almost finished The Four Legendary Kingdoms by Matthew Reilly.  I'm really enjoying it and didn't want to put it down to go to work this morning.

#129 rollinginthepages

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#130 hills mum bec

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostLettyRaines, on 05 September 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

Audiobook: Frogkisser by Garth Nix

How are you enjoying Frogkisser?  My DD started it but couldn't get into it.

#131 71Cath

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

The Other Woman by Sandie Jones

This book is scaring me - pyscho MIL who reminds me of my exMIL...

#132 rollinginthepages

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:42 PM.

#133 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostLettyRaines, on 05 September 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

Audiobook: Frogkisser by Garth Nix

We listened to Frogkisser over a few long car trips during August - got quite into it!

My current Audiobook is "The Last Woman Hanged" - non-fiction about a woman who was hung for poisoning her second husband (and possibly the first)

I was yelling at it today, as the judge in her FOURTH trial (she had hung juries in each of the first three - the crown was going to keep on going until it had its guilty verdict) was absolutely OUT OF HAND in his summation.

#134 rollinginthepages

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

#135 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:39 PM

I ended up not finishing The Last Woman Hanged - have star

View PostLettyRaines, on 11 September 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

I started on The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas yesterday, and am not far off finishing it.
It’s quite good, I’m enjoying it. Sci-fi, but not full on sci-fi.
Basically is about what the title says, and set between 1967 and 2018. Four women invent a time travel machine in 1967 and on the cusp of fame when one has a breakdown, and it goes from there.
It also has a gorgeous cover.

I’m also reading on ebook Lost Boy by Christina Henry, Peter Pan but told from Captain Hook’s perspective. Makes Peter out to be a right little turd...
In saying that, I have heard that the original Peter Pan story does put him in a bit of dark light, so I’ll be reading that one day.

Audiobook this week has been The Queen of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen. This has been really good. Fantasy, but with a touch of modern day topics.
We listened to the original Peter Pan as an audiobook - Peter is not a hero!!

#136 rollinginthepages

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

#137 **Xena**

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:35 AM

I've read the original. Peter Pan is pretty awful and Tinkerbell is even worse. I still enjoyed the book though :)

#138 seayork2002

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

It is a bit expensive but I felt like a change so I bought

The lost letters of william woolf by helen cullen

so not read yet but looks like fun

Edited by seayork2002, 12 September 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#139 CrankyM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

All this talk of Peter Pan is going to make me pull out the one the kids got given when they were little and see what version it is. I never liked Peter Pan as a kid so even thought it's a lovely handbound copy I've err never actually read it to the kids. Then again most books I read the kids had to be short and sharp because they had the attention span of gnats.

#140 71Cath

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

I'm reading "Something in the Water" by Catherine Steadman.  About half way through and enjoying it.

#141 magic_marker

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A ....

AUTHOR - MARK MANSON.

ONLY STARTED READING IT.

#142 FiveAus

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

I am listening to Anne Of Green Gables, which was on sale in Audible. I had forgotten what a wonderful story it was, I am enjoying every single word.

#143 Jingleflea

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:12 PM

I was reading Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton but I've put it down for a bit.

I'm a bit sad she died before she could finish off Z(and she had in her Will no ghostwriters, ever, so no one can finish it off, ever) and that i'll never get an ending to the series, but it's also not her best work and I'm having trouble getting into it.

So I went and bought the latest JD Robb In Death paper back.
I know I'm guaranteed a good read with those.

I'll go back to the Grafton book in a few days and finish it off.

Before that I was reading all the Syd Moore books I can find. She writes about the witch trials of Essex in the 1600s, and has put a rather feminist spin on it all, with most of the books set in current day England and referring back to the history of the witch trials.

It's been fascinating to learn more about the whole thing.

#144 petal71

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

The Peripheral by William Gibson.
Sci-fi - dystopian novel with two different timelines in the future. I found it a slog for the first few chapters as it uses a lot of undefined vocab - I actually had to look up an online glossary to figure out what half the terms meant. But once you "crack the code" (or cheat in my case) it is a fascinating book. I just have to read a bit more of it every night as I have renewed it twice from the library and I think that's the limit...

#145 rollinginthepages

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:53 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#146 amdirel

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

I just finished reading A Little Life after it was mentioned in this thread. What a great read.

Time to pick a new book. My reading interests have changed though, I don't even know what I like to read any more!

#147 hills mum bec

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:45 AM

Currently reading Broken by Karin Slaughter, loving it.

#148 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:55 PM

I am reading two at the moment, one for study and one for pleasure. My study book is The Merchant of Prato by Iris Arigo. It was recommended reading for a recent trip to Italy ( book is taking longer than the holiday). Pleasure book is The Concert Ticket by Olga Grushin, intriguing story about a mysterious kiosk that opens in a small Russian town but never seems to be selling anything. So far the locals have all been speculating as to what will be for sale. I'm guessing it has something to do with music.

#149 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

Audiobooks  - Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
Absolutely fascinating look at the rise of home sapiens, will get the next one ASAP
And Joyful by Ingrid Lee, only a chapter or so in, still seems fluffy so far

David Weber ACall to Arms (Manticore series an old favourite) love my space opera

Fear by Bob Woodward but I keep getting cross with Trump and have to put it down
Unbelievable contrast with Winston Churchill whose 6 volume history I have started. The man could write (amongst many talents)

The Becky Chambers novel a PP mentioned was great, definitely a top pick for the year.

#150 rollinginthepages

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.