What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#151 two_ones

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

So I've been on holiday for a month and ploughed through five books!

Eleanor Oliphant - loved this!

Little Fires Everywhere - mentioned earlier, loved this too.

Gracies Secret - it was okay but fine for holiday reading.

The Woman in the Window - it was okay. An 'unreliable narrator' type of book like Girl on the Train. Got a bit repetitive and i started to get annoyed with the main character. Movie being made with Amy Adams currently.

Anatomy of a Scandal - pretty good. Trigger warning for sexual assault if anyone plans to read. The politician guy is a slimy b*st*rd.

Just started on Nine Perfect Strangers, loving it so far.

#152 CrankyM

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

I discovered a new series that has been a great deal of fun to read. Vastly enjoyable.

It's called Montague and Strong Case Files. Urban fantasy but a really good combination or adventure, crazy antics, and humorous moments. I started them last Friday and am halfway through book 6 already, though they are not long books.

#153 Riotproof

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

I finished the whole bright year by Debra Osmand and it was really interesting. I liked pretty much every character and wanted them all to be happy.
Starting on the Book Ninja by Ali Berg and Michelle Kalus.

I am trying to read more Australian authors atm.

#154 MooGuru

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

I started reading the latest of the Sandhamm murders books by Viveca Sten today. I had preordered it but it didn't automatically download to my Kindle until I realised this afternoon. I love when I've preordered books! It's like a gift from my past self!

#155 cardamom

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

MooGuru, have I read properly that her next one comes out next month also? Two in such quick succession, surely not!

#156 MooGuru

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

They are out in other languages already just being translated. Maybe this one has been out a while and only available on Kindle recently?

October 16 according to amazon!  This last one was released Sept 4th from the looks of things. It must've been sitting waiting to be downloaded longer than I thought.

Edited by MooGuru, 27 September 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#157 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:17 PM

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (of Temeraire fame)

Re-written fairytale genre similar to some Mercedes Lackey but I feel NN's characters have a bit more depth to them

#158 CrankyM

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 27 September 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (of Temeraire fame)

Re-written fairytale genre similar to some Mercedes Lackey but I feel NN's characters have a bit more depth to them

I keep seeing this pop up when I'm on Amazon. I enjoyed here Temeraire series so I might pick it up next pay day. My favorite re-written fairy tales are some of Robin Mckinley's ones.

#159 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

I have just finished reading "The Storied Life of A J Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin

Delightful little book - wasn't too sure at first, and took a bit of getting into, but the characters grow (and grow on you) and unfurls a lovely tale with nicely tucked in loose ends and poignant endings.

#160 Riotproof

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

I'm starting the Book Ninja. Really lovely so far, I have huge plans to read in this rainy weather as well.

#161 seayork2002

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 05 October 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

I'm starting the Book Ninja. Really lovely so far, I have huge plans to read in this rainy weather as well.

Thanks for the reminder! I have this one on my Kindle for a while now but keep on forgetting it is there.

I am reading a crime one but also Scrummy Mummy which is a little fun

#162 rollinginthepages

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#163 Romeo Void

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

Just finished 'Boy Who Swallowed The Universe' by Trent Dalton,  I loved this sooo much...this one's going to the pool room!

#164 cardamom

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 05 October 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Just finished 'Boy Who Swallowed The Universe' by Trent Dalton,  I loved this sooo much...this one's going to the pool room!

Okay, so I had noticed this was $5 for Kindle the other day and was umming and ahhing, so after seeing your comment raced to Amazon - on my work computer - to buy it.

Apparently typing 'Boy Who Swallowed the Universe' into the search bar brings up not only Dalton's book but a whole host of other, totally suitable for work titles like "Kissed on the Weiner By My Own Weiner" and "Yes Please: 45 Book Erotica Bundle."

If I get sacked for misconduct I'm blaming you :p

#165 seayork2002

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

View Postcardamom, on 05 October 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

Okay, so I had noticed this was $5 for Kindle the other day and was umming and ahhing, so after seeing your comment raced to Amazon - on my work computer - to buy it.

Apparently typing 'Boy Who Swallowed the Universe' into the search bar brings up not only Dalton's book but a whole host of other, totally suitable for work titles like "Kissed on the Weiner By My Own Weiner" and "Yes Please: 45 Book Erotica Bundle."

If I get sacked for misconduct I'm blaming you :p

Its Friday, i get to have wine tonight I will also be sat with my kindle - I promise I am not wondering what titles I have on there now to post about.....(the fact we probably won't be at work DOES NOT MATTER) :smile:

#166 Romeo Void

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:41 PM

Kissed on the weiner by my own weiner....I'm curious but terrified to ask what that means? I have to confess to being slightly biased about Daltons book.  I grew up in the area he's writing about so it's hard for me to distinguish between loving the writing or being swayed by the familiarity of the locations.  Love to hear what you think.

#167 Riotproof

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

I’m finally reading Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. Pretty sure it’s been on my bedside table for at least 5 years.

Also The Book Thief, which I am enjoying but I’m not finding it unputdownable.

I have a Christmas cozy on my list, plus a couple of library books that looked good.

#168 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

I started Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver - didn't like any of the characters so put it down for 10 days while I ploughed through (or put down because I didn't like - I am getting so cut-throat in my old age) another half dozen.

Read and loved Ginny Moon.

Read and loved Eleanor Oliphant (but don't read both very close together as there are some similar themes).

Then picked up Flight Behaviour again last night - read two chapters that I loved (and kept reading out pertinent bits of) so I will continue...

#169 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

I've just started The Joy Luck Club.  So far I don't mind it.  
I've recently finished Small Great Things by Jodie Picoult.  I liked it, though I didn't love the ending which wound up a little too nicely and they all lived happily ever after singing kum-by-yah.

#170 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

just finished Red Notice by Bill Browder. About Browder’s feud with Putin and the russian oligarchs and the murder of the lawyer Sergei Magnitsky - a very compelling story, might have been done better in the hands of a different author (although no doubt Browder had a ghost writer).

#171 amdirel

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

I just started reading Eleanor Oliphant. Not loving it at all so far...

#172 Mel1609

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostLettyRaines, on 20 August 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Almost halfway through book one of The Passage, by Justin Cronin. It’s rather good so far; I haven’t wanted to put it down, but I guess sleep is important...
Ive read all three,  quite seriously some of the most incredible story telling ever.

#173 Lifesgood

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Just finished Eleanor & Hick by Susan Quinn. It is the story of Eleanor Roosevelt and her affair with Lorena Hickock, a journalist. Great read, fascinating look at US politics during a more progressive era.

Have just started Prisoner of Heaven, the third book in the Shadow of the Wind series by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It is already a completely sumptuous delight that I look forward to each night.

#174 Mel1609

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 24 September 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Audiobooks  - Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
Absolutely fascinating look at the rise of home sapiens, will get the next one ASAP
And Joyful by Ingrid Lee, only a chapter or so in, still seems fluffy so far

David Weber ACall to Arms (Manticore series an old favourite) love my space opera

Fear by Bob Woodward but I keep getting cross with Trump and have to put it down
Unbelievable contrast with Winston Churchill whose 6 volume history I have started. The man could write (amongst many talents)

The Becky Chambers novel a PP mentioned was great, definitely a top pick for the year.

Im also reading Sapiens - so fascinating ! Wouldn't you just love to chat to this guy over dinner!!!

#175 Passionate Folly

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:10 PM

ThreeBananas, how about something by JoJo Moyes? I adored her ‘Me Before You’ series. A little bit of drama in each, but similar to Marian Keyes & Liane Moriarty.

Maybe something by Sally Hepworth as well? The Family Next Door was a good read.

Back in May I read ‘The Mummy Bloggers’ by Holly Wainwright, while it was definitely not the kind of story I’m ‘in to’, it was such an easy read and it wasn’t so bad. She has another one coming out next month; follows on from Mummy Bloggers.

Other suggestions... maybe ‘The Museum of Modern Love’ by Heather Rose, or ‘The Signature of All Things’ by Elizabeth Gilbert?
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
ThreeBananas, thanks for posting re your reading preferences, I don't feel quite so alone now. No gory stuff for me. Thanks to all posters who made suggestions  to ThreeBanas as well.  

Currently I am very safely reading books from old Eng Lit study lists that I should've read back then.

Virginia Woolf's "Mrs Dalloway"- I am still reading the 'intro' and it feels like reading  a 'To The Lighthouse' review. To The Lighthouse is a 'standard' for me. Anything else would only be less. I had Mrs Dalloway on the bookshelf for years -maybe it just looked 'paler' because I bought it at a 2nd hand bookshop. So I hope I can stick it out even as an exercise in application.
​Really enjoying the thread and have have listed many recommendations.

Edited by Passionate Folly, 04 November 2018 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.