What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#26 ~J_F~

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

I have 3 half read on my bedside table.

Dan Brown - Origin. I have a thing for Robert Langdon and I like the conspiracy stuff.

Monica McInerney - the Faraday girls. It’s ok, not a page turner but an easy read.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Second time but noticing some things I missed first read.

#27 mayahlb

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

RP battleaxe was fine. I enjoyed that one. It was about halfway through the next book that he started deteriorating into a chauvinistic prig whose actions seem to go against everything he stood for in the first book. I was not impressed, but that might have just been my take on it. I remember being vastly p*ssed that a woman writer would devolve her character like that. Her other books are decent. If you like battleaxe you might like the curse of chalion by Lois Bujold McMaster. Or Rhapsody by elizabeth Hayden. Sheep farmers daughter by Elizabeth Moon was good too (first book in the series The deed of parksenarrion triology which I’ve read at least 5 times).

#28 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

The Merchant of Prato by Iris Origo. The daily life of a 14th century Florentine merchant based on a huge (150 000 +) collection of original letters and documents. The letters were written between he and his wife and he and his business partner. The story is fascinating and not just a collection of letters (although I DID enjoy the Guernsey Literary Society).

#29 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 01 August 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

The Merchant of Prato by Iris Origo. The daily life of a 14th century Florentine merchant based on a huge (150 000 +) collection of original letters and documents. The letters were written between he and his wife and he and his business partner. The story is fascinating and not just a collection of letters (although I DID enjoy the Guernsey Literary Society).

This sounds like my sort of book FGM. Thanks for the tip.

#30 Mrs Claus

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 01 August 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

I think it's up your alley. Big world building fantasy, with some great characters.

I'm tempted to buy them too.

To be honest I preferred his belgaraid series but the elenium was the first fantasy series I ever read so felt I needed to revisit it first

#31 hills mum bec

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostThreeBananas, on 01 August 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

Before that was 'Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine'. Sad, shocking, poignant and funny. Love Eleanor!

Now revisiting my favourite author, Marian Keyes 'The Woman who stole my life' (I always reread Marian when I have nothing else to read- she's like an old friend) and eagerly awaiting Liane Moriarty's new book - Nine Perfect Strangers out September 18.

Eleanor Oliphant is on my library hold list.

I love Marian Keyes, her characters are always so funny.  The last book I read of hers was The Break which was really good.

#32 Let-it-go

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

I read Eleanor Oliphant through my book club, it is the one book we all unanimously loved.  We all cried, we all put our lives on hold while we read it, gosh it’s a good book.

#33 SusanStoHelit

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

I’m a big Sara Douglas fan, but the battle axe series isn’t her best series IMHO. Her historical fantasies (Troy game and the crucible) are mind blowing.

I’m currently reading the 2nd book in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Traditional fantasy tropes, but great story telling.

The best books I’ve read so far this year is “never night” and “godsgrave” by Jay Kristoff. Maybe not to everyone’s taste as they’re more dark fantasy / horror, but I loved gam and can’t wait for the third and final book.

#34 mayahlb

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

Ooh SusanStoHelit - I just downloaded Nevernight, good to hear it's a good read.

#35 wallofdodo

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

I am reading a collection of short stories by Lucia Berlin, called A Manual for Cleaning Ladies.

It's freaking awesome.

It's also all my frazzled brain can manage at the moment.

I was a bit way through Transit by Rachel Cusk, when things went south and I can't really concentrate. Will have to pick it up again soon.

#36 Laurie03

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:18 PM

My favourite books at the moment are by Milly Johnson.  They appear light hearted but deal with very serious issues and they usually have a happy ending.  I love her style of writing.  her books that I have read are

The perfectly imperfect woman
The tea shop on the corner
The yorkshire pudding club
The queen of wishful thinking
A spring affair
Here come the girls.

They are all stand alone stories but I have loved all of them.  Can't wait to read the rest.

#37 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:31 PM

View PostmaryanneK, on 01 August 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
took me a while to get into but really enjoying it now
its quite 'worthy' and won all sorts of awards but its not too much like hard work
This what I am currently reading too. Or trying to. About 40 pages in so far and it hasn't grabbed me yet. It's got another 60 pages to snag my attention ...

Recently finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Absolutely loved it. It had a slow start but was well and truly worth it. A beautiful novel about loneliness and friendships.

I also finished the two Sarah Maas fantasy series - "Throne Of Glass" series and "Court" series. I really enjoyed both series, but had higher preference for the Court series.

#38 kimasa

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:28 PM

If I Was Your Girl by Meridith Russo.

It's a YA book about a transgirl who moves to her father's place in a small US town to restart her life/high school as a girl. It's interesting so far.

#39 maryanneK

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 02 August 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

This what I am currently reading too. Or trying to. About 40 pages in so far and it hasn't grabbed me yet. It's got another 60 pages to snag my attention ...

Recently finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Absolutely loved it. It had a slow start but was well and truly worth it. A beautiful novel about loneliness and friendships.

I also finished the two Sarah Maas fantasy series - "Throne Of Glass" series and "Court" series. I really enjoyed both series, but had higher preference for the Court series.

yep - took me ages to get into but now I'm hooked. A slow burner but worth it!

#40 Sancti-claws

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 02 August 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Eleanor Oliphant is on my library hold list.
lol - I just went to do that - I am hold number 6 - it is currently awaiting the next person who reserved it...

#41 rollinginthepages

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:31 PM.

#42 Riotproof

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

You should bump up Eleanor. I've heard good things about Nowhere Child too.

#43 Let-it-go

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 02 August 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

You should bump up Eleanor.
Totally agree.  It won’t take you long to read it.

#44 seayork2002

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 02 August 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

You should bump up Eleanor. I've heard good things about Nowhere Child too.

I have it on my kindle (Eleanor i mean) but keep on forgetting to read it, can I please ask does it at least have a happy ending?

#45 hills mum bec

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

View PostSancti-claws, on 02 August 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

lol - I just went to do that - I am hold number 6 - it is currently awaiting the next person who reserved it...

Our library doesn't show you where you are in the queue.  I have had it on hold request since mid May.  The way the libraries work in SA is that you can borrow a book from any library in the state and they will send it to your nominated library to collect.  So if you put a hold request on a book it isn't for a specific book at a specific library.  I'm in the same queue as everybody else in SA who has put a hold request for that book and the actual book I might end up getting when I'm at the top of the queue might come from a library that is 800km away.

View PostLettyRaines, on 02 August 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

I’m also currently listening to The Nowhere Child by Christian White, on audiobook, and it has me intrigued.

This is also on my hold list.

#46 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 03 August 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

I have it on my kindle (Eleanor i mean) but keep on forgetting to read it, can I please ask does it at least have a happy ending?

Yes. I don’t think you'll be disappointed in the end.

#47 Lilith2112

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Love these threads - keeps me happy while waiting for my next order to come in...

I am reading Poe's The Raven at the moment, love it.  A kind of go to in this stormy weather.

In between, my niece is reading Geronimo Stilton so I am going on that adventure :p

Waiting on the new Karin Slaughter book to come via said delivery.

#48 hills mum bec

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

View PostLilith2112, on 03 August 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

Waiting on the new Karin Slaughter book to come via said delivery.

I love Karin Slaughter (she would has the best name for the type of books she writes).  Is it a Will Trent book?

#49 cardamom

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

I haven't started it yet but I just snapped up a Kindle Daily Deal for 99c that sounds interesting - All the Little Lights.

#50 rollinginthepages

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.