What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#326 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

View PostBreezaH, on 27 April 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

I love, love LOVE this group of friends. I'm so glad Jimmy got his own book. For me, Melina Marchetta can do no wrong in anything she does. I'd read her grocery list

She’s created something special with these friends. I’d love to hear more about Justine or Tara or Siobhan..

#327 cardamom

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

Has anyone read the William Wisting series? Norwegian crime fiction, I picked up The Katharina Code cheap on Kindle and wow, talk about a slow burn - not at all fast-paced but a real sense of.. I don't know, tautness or something. I liked the writing style and characters too. Off to start the series from the beginning - love discovering a new author!

#328 MooGuru

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:24 AM

Ooh! I'll have to look it up Cardamom. I love scandi crime fiction

#329 Riotproof

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

I do need something Scandinavian for the pop sugar challenge.

#330 seayork2002

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 01 May 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

Camilla Lackberg? I liked her first few

#331 Riotproof

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

Good idea. I’ll have a look around. Seems like some are at the library and even electronically which makes it easier.

#332 **Xena**

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

I found all the Nancy Drew books on the public domain so I'm having a nostalgia read :D

#333 Riotproof

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

What do you mean by public domain, xena?

#334 Lifesgood

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

I'm reading Lethal White, the latest Cormoran Strike story by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)

To be honest I'm getting a little tired of the formula.

#335 **Xena**

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

I don't know exactly. It's a website where some of the books are licensed as free for public domain or something.

http://www.goanwap.c...book-0-0-0.html

Edited by **Xena**, 01 May 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#336 FiveAus

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 01 May 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

What do you mean by public domain, xena?

Books where the copyright has expired. Usually 70 years after the death of the author. They are free electronically.

#337 Riotproof

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

iTunes seem to be still charging for them though. That’s what confused me.

#338 Caribou

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 01 May 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

iTunes seem to be still charging for them though. That’s what confused me.

Some publishing companies will charge for the book, which is why you’ll find them with a cost on book platforms even though technically they can be free. If you hunt around, you’ll find book like sense and sensibility free and paid. It just depends who published it. iTunes isn’t the publisher. They are just the platform that the publisher puts the books up on.

#339 cardamom

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 01 May 2019 - 12:24 AM, said:

Ooh! I'll have to look it up Cardamom. I love scandi crime fiction

Believe me when I say slow burn, though - if you're someone who likes a lot of action you might be disappointed! There's a lot of gentle, cruisy scene-setting/pottering around before it builds to tension, but I quite liked that. And it was much less gory/gratuitous violence-wise than most crime fiction I come across, which was an interesting change of pace.

Have you read Mari Jungstedt? I quite enjoy her books, I'm very impatiently waiting for the most recent ones to be translated.

View PostRiotproof, on 01 May 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

As above - you might like Mari Jungstedt. Or Viveca Sten. I do like Camilla Lackberg but there's something about the way she writes suspense/cliffhangers that makes me so irritable!

#340 MooGuru

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

I read one that might have been Camilla Lackberg now you mention it. I found I kept putting down because I just couldn't get into it. Then the last page was like WOW mind blown. What a twist! And I'm questioning whether I want to read another given I was all never reading another book by this author again until that moment but I can't remember ever being so caught out by the twist before.

#341 Hollycoddle

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

View PostNewdisplayname, on 02 January 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance. It’s a memoir about growing up in rural poverty in America. I’m really enjoying it.  I’m going to try Get up Mum next.

Have read both of these, I'm a big fan of memoir. The latter is awesome, Heazlewood (who went to my uni when I was there and was very active on campus) is a master at evoking exactly what it feels like to be a kid and captures it perfectly in his prose, it really took me back.

#342 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:31 PM

Just read Confederacy of Dunces over Easter. Funny but extremely unlikable characters.

#343 Riotproof

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

How to be second best by Jessica Dettman ❤️ I really, really liked this book. It was quick and easy to read, but very engaging, good ending. It kind of reminds me of Bridget Jones plus kids.. one disaster after another.

#344 Let-it-go

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 27 April 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

Just started and finished Melina Marchetta’s new one “the place on Dalhousie.”

Carries on a bit from saving Francesca and the pipers son.

It was just beautiful. I seriously love these characters.

Thank you BB!  I just read Saving Francesca, such a beautiful book.  So what do I read next?

I did have to chuckle......I tried to find it in the library but couldn’t.  Looked it up on the catalogue and it’s saying there’s 1 in stock.  I then realised I had to look in Teen Fiction :laugh:.

#345 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostIce Queen, on 05 May 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Thank you BB!  I just read Saving Francesca, such a beautiful book.  So what do I read next?

I did have to chuckle......I tried to find it in the library but couldn’t.  Looked it up on the catalogue and it’s saying there’s 1 in stock.  I then realised I had to look in Teen Fiction :laugh:.

So glad you loved it!!

The next book is the pipers son- this one is all about Thomas mackee.

Then read the place on Dalhousie all about jimmy.

It’s like she’s planned out these characters and their lives from the get go...

#346 rollinginthepages

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#347 **Xena**

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

I'm up to Book 15 and I nevr realised what a Mary Sue she is. As well as solving the mysteries she's won a golf tournament, a sailing race, got the best score in her skin diving course and had quite a few guys fall in love with her :lol:

Edited by **Xena**, 07 May 2019 - 10:05 PM.

#348 cardamom

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 04 May 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

How to be second best by Jessica Dettman ❤️ I really, really liked this book. It was quick and easy to read, but very engaging, good ending. It kind of reminds me of Bridget Jones plus kids.. one disaster after another.

I just finished my latest and saw that this was available on BorrowBox so have snapped it up. Perfect dreary reading-day weather here.

#349 Let-it-go

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

I just finished Melina Marchetta’s ‘Tell The Truth, Shame a The Devil’.  Was an v good read.  Not teen fiction but does revolve around teens if that makes sense.

Just starting ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ which a few of my friends have raved about.

#350 MooGuru

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

I bought a book that was recommended in a group I'm in. I didn't really do much looking into it just read the blurb and thought that sounds good and bought it for 99 cents.

So I was expecting a romantic comedy style novel of a standard length. It was a 9 page erotica that I started reading with my mum looking over my shoulder asking what I was reading :rofl:

Well that wasn't what I was expecting!
I got really distracted by the opening bit of the erotica (so page 2) where the woman puts her feet against the dining room table whilst the spin cycle of the washing machine and his amazing sexual mastery make her scream.

Does she have really long legs that stretch from the laundry to the dining room?  Is the washing machine in the dining room? Did she move the dining room table knowing this impromptu love fest would need some additional support?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.