What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#351 seayork2002

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

Sticking to my usual theme of British crime/police series - the Jessica Daniel series by Kerry Wilkinson.

I am up to 3 one after the other and I never do that! so very good so far

#352 Sancti-claws

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

Reading Eggshell Skull at the moment - not a light read, but one that has been alluded to in a few articles that I have read of late so reserved it at the library.

#353 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

"The Farm" by Joanne Ramos.  

It is the most brilliant novel I've read since "The Natural Way of Things" by Charlotte Wood a couple of years ago.
I read a lot of non-fiction, which seems to make me very picky about novels.

The Farm should be a high school text.  It's incredible.

#354 rollinginthepages

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#355 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

On the go at the moment is "Mary Queen of Scots" - because I forgot to take anything read-worthy when I went away for training and it was a colleague's spare read and we discovered we have some similar tastes.

Very dry and fact based - but feel compelled to read to the end, despite the prolugue being the ending, so to speak...

#356 ipsee

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes - good, but sad.

I like that her books are not all the same.

#357 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Currently reading Boys Swallows Universe.

In the last couple of months, I have read The Lost Man (Jane Harper) and The Shepherds' Hut (Tim Winton). Enjoyed both of them.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 20 June 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#358 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

I just finished Magic and the Shinigami Detective. It was really good. Sort of urban fantasy set in a parallel world that is basically in a late Victorian era, but with magic. But not magic can do everything type thing. Really well written, with a good bit of humor and a believable plot.

Otherwise I am reading the Tanya Huff Sci-fi series of confederation novels about space marines. Good solid books. I'm not absolutely loving them but I am enjoying them.

Oh and I just finished Sword of Mars by Glynn Stewart. Great Sci-fi reads. Series is Starship's Mage and this is book 6. I love that his books are not predictable and they are well written and the characters are well fleshed out and believable. I did go on a binge read and read all 5 books that come before this one just to review everything that happened in the series.

#359 Sancti-claws

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

I am reading Mary Queen of Scots (still!!!  we've just killed Darnley) and The Orchid and The Dandelion (not sold on it yet) and for some light relief just stared a book called The Three Story House.

#360 purplekitty

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:37 PM

Good Omens among other things.

Very hard going.
It reaffirms that I have never been a Terry Pratchett fan (flamesuit on).

#361 Riotproof

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

I’m still reading the ghost stories of Edith Warton.

I’ve decided I probably don’t mind ghost stories but because the prose is so old fashioned, it takes a lot more concentration than  I have when I get time to read. But I do like the stories..

#362 Molondy

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

I'm reading the new Stephen Donaldson novel (The War Within) but recently finished Daisy Jones and the Six - what fun that was!!!

#363 seayork2002

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

East of Hounslow by Khurrum Rahman - very good so far

Then next I think back to Lin Anderson McLeod series

#364 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

i’ve just finished Mary Beard’s SPQR - on ancient rome - which was fantastic. long! but very good. i now have Richard Fidler’s Ghost Empire - about the rise of Constantinople - which should be a good follow on from that - however i promised DS that i will read the Hobbit with him - he has to do it for English and he’s struggling. so am i tbh - not a fan of Tolkien ...

#365 seayork2002

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

Lucrezia Borgia, on 24 June 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

i’ve just finished Mary Beard’s SPQR - on ancient rome - which was fantastic. long! but very good. i now have Richard Fidler’s Ghost Empire - about the rise of Constantinople - which should be a good follow on from that - however i promised DS that i will read the Hobbit with him - he has to do it for English and he’s struggling. so am i tbh - not a fan of Tolkien ...

I couldn't read it for school, I tried but not for me - weirdly though I do want to see the Tolkien movie about him.

Would an Audio version help?

On another note
I have not read her books (not even sure how many or the details) but Dr Janina Ramirez I love her tv shows

#366 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

Tolkien over describes things. I could get through the Hobbit ok, though my version was missing the first 12 pages which made absolutely no impact whatsoever. I have never ever managed to finish the lord of the rings though. Seriously 3 chapters where he is seemingly describing every rock and tree and everything. I managed to slog through the first book and 3/4 of the second but never managed it any further then that.

I just finished the first book in the Changeling Blood trilogy by Glynn Stewart and am about to start the next. Enjoyed it, his character building is good. It’s an Urban Fantasy, though he usually writes space opera.

#367 purplekitty

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Everyone read LOTR at school and I couldn't persevere.
I read it later and enjoyed it.

#368 Lady Gray

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

I’m ready 99% by Sally Thorne.  It’s pretty good and I’ve had such a bad run of books recently I don’t want to finish it.  

#369 Sancti-claws

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

I am reading a book at the moment that I can't even remember the title of - something to do with Chocolate - but it is annoying me, and its annoying me more that I don't have a stash to choose from that I haven't either already read, started reading but hated or are too worthy and therefore scaring me before I start...

I am back - the Desire for Chocolate - currently its on a side story whose characters are slightly more likeable (at the moment) than what appears to be the main characters...

Edited by Sancti-claws, 29 June 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#370 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

I just finished Burial Rites by Hannah Kent.  Picked it up Tuesday at a book swap shelf at a council swimming pool.  A great read.

#371 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Reading ‘the yellow house’ by Emily O’Grady fabulous so far- about 20% in.

Not sure what I’ll read after this and I think I’ll have knocked this over by tomorrow.
Any recommendation oh well read ones?

As a guide (recent reads)
Hated: the dry (hated with a passion), scrublands (hated with a passion- couldn’t finish it), moriarty sisters, our House
Loved: Boy swallows universe, lanny, pachinko, educated, hearts invisible furies, tin man, olive kitteridge, little fires everywhere, Eleanor oliphant

#372 Soontobe7

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

I am about to go on a four week holiday with basically no internet access and I am taking Eleanor Oliphant, Normal People by Sally Rooney Mother in law by Sally Hepworth Islands by Peggy Frew and 9 perfect strangers.
I hope they are all good and I have enough books.
Oh and I grabbed a Judy Nunn from Big w the other day. I have always enjoyed her books and the mix of fiction and n non-fiction

#373 ipsee

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:29 PM

The Land Girls by

Victoria Purman

It is about city girls going to work on farms during WW11 = it is really good. Sad in parts, but not depressing. I loved it.

#374 Let-it-go

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:00 PM

I’ve just read The Hearts Invisible Furies.  Such a good book.  Best book I’ve read in ages.

#375 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:40 PM

Let-it-go- isn’t it wonderful! I was hooked from the first page. It really should have been a bigger success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.