What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#376 gemgirl

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:19 PM

View PostSoontobe7, on 20 July 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

I am about to go on a four week holiday with basically no internet access and I am taking Eleanor Oliphant, Normal People by Sally Rooney Mother in law by Sally Hepworth Islands by Peggy Frew and 9 perfect strangers.
I hope they are all good and I have enough books.
Oh and I grabbed a Judy Nunn from Big w the other day. I have always enjoyed her books and the mix of fiction and n non-fiction

are there shops?
Do you have an e-reader?
Are you travelling w people who may have books you can swap with?
If not, take at least two more haha I read a lot on holidays

#377 Soontobe7

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

View Postgemgirl, on 20 July 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

are there shops?
Do you have an e-reader?
Are you travelling w people who may have books you can swap with?
If not, take at least two more haha I read a lot on holidays

It's the Cook Islands so I am not relying on there being any shops.
Don't have an e-reader
My kids will have books...
Yes I think I will end up buying a couple at the airport.

#378 Hands Up

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

I’ve just read three Jane Harper books back to back. Love her writing.

#379 Hands Up

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

Later than most, but I’ve just read “Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine”. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

#380 FiveAus

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

I just finished listening to Clare Mackintosh's After The End. It was completely different to her thrillers, which I'd really enjoyed, and when I got past the fact that it was really different, I was riveted.
It was about a couple with a young child who is diagnosed with a  terminal illness. They disagree on treatments and end up in court. The story then goes off in two directions. One is what would happen if the wife wins the case, and the other is what happens if the husband does.

I've also recently listened to Marco Pierre Whites Devil In the Kitchen, which was definitely worth the effort. I"m going to the UK in March and plan on a dinner in one of his restaurants so it was interesting to get to know where he came from and how he got where he is.

#381 FiveAus

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

Evvie Drake Starts Over.
Absolutely wonderful. Evvie is standing in her driveway, just about to walk out on her home, and her marriage when she gets a phone call to tell her that her husband has been in an accident. It's fatal.
Dean is a broken down pro baseball pitcher. Evvie rents part of her house to him.

Loved this story, it will stay with me for a long time.

#382 seayork2002

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Thanks to posts on here over the years I am currently reading the first in the ben aaronovitch rivers of london series.

Very good so far and not my usual crime ones

I rediscovered it on my kindle recently

#383 Crombek

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton. So good. So very very good.

#384 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

i just finished Robert Harris “the Second Sleep” - good - a page turner. the twist comes early on, which means the book you thought you were reading turns out to be a very different book all together.

#385 Riotproof

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and I really liked it. When I went to record it on goodreads, I was surprised to see that lots of people think it’s a bit racist.

#386 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

I picked up Danielle Steel's The Duchess for cheap to read while sick. I don't think I've read anything of hers before and I'm not going to bother reading another. Talk about a load of crap. It was predictable and unbelievable at the same time.

#387 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

i’ve just finished Richard Fidler”s “Ghost Empire” - it was such a fascinating read, very well written. i knew very little about the Eastern Roman Empire ...just fragments of stuff that it was once Constantinople and then it was Istanbul.....he brought it together really well, and i was equally lucky in that i had just finished Mary Beards tome on ancient Rome and the fall of the western roman empire....

#388 MGB

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

View PostCrombek, on 30 August 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

I’m ready this at the moment, it’s great.

#389 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

A prayer for travelers by Ruchika Tomar

After a string of less than impressive books, this is shaping up nicely.

Edited by Sancti-claws, 16 September 2019 - 06:47 AM.

#390 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostLet-it-go, on 20 July 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

I’ve just read The Hearts Invisible Furies.  Such a good book.  Best book I’ve read in ages.

View PostFearsomeFeralFreak, on 20 July 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Let-it-go- isn’t it wonderful! I was hooked from the first page. It really should have been a bigger success.
Oh wow! Thank you both. I have started this yesterday and cannot put it down. It is so well written in that it just grabs you from the start.

#391 MrsCee

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

View PostCrombek, on 30 August 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

Finished it yesterday, really good. Best I’ve read in a while.

#392 teaspoon

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

Posted Image

Winton does it again (for me)

#393 sunsaboveitreya

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo.

#394 Let-it-go

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai

#395 Lifesgood

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

Popped in here to get ideas because I am on my last book (Eleanor Oliphant).

Have added to my shopping cart: Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell, Boy Swallows Universe, The Hearts Invisible Furies.

#396 Riotproof

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

I finished listening to How to kill your husband (and other handy household hints) by Kathy Lette. Very, very funny. Also, read by Caroline Lee who I really like.

#397 Sancti-claws

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:24 PM

I am re-reading The Homecoming of Samuel Lake - Jenny Wingfield.

As good as I remember plus added blessings found the second time around.

#398 MooGuru

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

The latest Viveca Sten Sandhamm Murders book just arrived :)

#399 Ellie bean

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:52 PM

Bloodwitch! Great fantasy series

#400 Let-it-go

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

I’ve just read The House on Dalhousie which I’m fairly sure was a recommendation on here.  But it was ages ago and based upon reading Finding Francesca.  Which I did but ages ago, loved it, put THOD on hold at the library and only just received it.  By which time I had totally forgotten they were intertwined and I didn’t immediately click.

My question is, are there any other books about the same group of friends that I should have read?  

Anyone else read The Great Believers?  That was so interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.