What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#51 ~river song~

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Currently reading Simplicity Parenting and Heaven on Earth - both are Waldorf Steiner inspired rather than novels as such.

#52 Lilith2112

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

hills mum bec, on 03 August 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

I love Karin Slaughter (she would has the best name for the type of books she writes).  Is it a Will Trent book?

Sadly not Will Trent.  Sigh, I love me some Will Trent.  It is her latest novel, a standalone. ummm just going to check name.  I am re-reading the one where Sara and Will meet for the first time :)

Pieces of her - released last week. :)

#53 hills mum bec

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

Lilith2112, on 03 August 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Sadly not Will Trent.  Sigh, I love me some Will Trent.  It is her latest novel, a standalone. ummm just going to check name.  I am re-reading the one where Sara and Will meet for the first time :)

Pieces of her - released last week. :)

Will have to put that one on my list.  I have Broken in my pile of books to read at the moment which is another Will Trent/Sara Linton crossover.

#54 seayork2002

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

sorry this is cheating as I have not read it yet but I have heard Scrublands by Chris Hammer is really good (Australian)

#55 Summer81

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

I'm going through Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series again- I started it years and years ago and never finished because the books weren't all out. Picked up the last 4 at a second hand sale- originally I liked the storyline, now I just want to finish it to say I'm done-up to book 10. I find the female characters so one dimensional- almost written as if he either didn't understand (or particularly like) women. It's slow going.

#56 ThreeBananas

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

Re Eleanor Oliphant- I was wary as I don't read depressing stuff but it was so well written and whilst very sad in places, I found it ultimately thought-provoking and uplifting. And Eleanor is just such a brilliant character.

Anyone have any recommendations (while I wait for Liane Moriarty)?!

I'm very narrow-minded when it comes to reading - absolutely nothing scary/ thrilling/depressing. If it's sad, it has to have comic relief. I've tried to get out of my rut but couldn't even do 'Girl on the train', 'Force of Nature' or "The Light Between Oceans'. But I also don't like the really fluffy chick-lit.

Favourite authors Liane Moriarty, Marian Keyes and Fiona Alliott. The violence in 'Big Little Lies' pushed me to my limits (couldn't watch the tv series). Hated 'This Charming Man'.

I know I'm way too specific. I have picked up/put down so many books but reading is my joy/passion/escape and I just won't read anything I don't enjoy!

#57 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:52 PM

You are tricky, three bananas. Would you try "You be Mother" by Meg Mason. I'd say borderline chick lit. I also wonder whether you'd like Monica McInerney, but the earlier stuff.. A taste for it, Upside down and another Ive forgotten.

Edited by Riotproof, 03 August 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#58 ThreeBananas

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

Riotproof, on 03 August 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

You are tricky, three bananas. Would you try "You be Mother" by Meg Mason. I'd say borderline chick lit. I also wonder whether you'd like Monica McInerney, but the earlier stuff.. A taste for it, Upside down and another Ive forgotten.

Ooh thankyou Riotproof! This sounds right up my alley! I read a synopsis and it reminded me of Maggie Alderson who I also have enjoyed (although couldn't finish her latest one).

Yes I liked one of Monica McInerney's - I think it was about sisters? But she does lean to the fluffy side of the fence, I have found...

Thankyou!

Edited by ThreeBananas, 03 August 2018 - 10:00 PM.

#59 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

It kind of sounds like you like family sagas.
Don't discount Monica McInerney, her first few are bit more foodie, and a bit more fun. I won't donate them because they are soo comfy to me.

#60 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:12 PM

Have you tried any Matthew Quick books?

#61 Numpty

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Re-reading the Patrick Melrose series, and just finished Jane Harper's Force of Nature, which was excellent.

#62 rollinginthepages

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#63 ThreeBananas

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:37 PM

Yes love a family saga but with an edge. I like strong, relatable female characters (ie not 20ish 30ish romance stuff). But also a story with issues but not too confronting.

Might revisit Monica McInerney. No never give them up- I feel the same way about Marian Keyes. Such comfort food! Even the ones I didn't like I still had to read because she wrote them. And whenever I have nothing to read I will re-read hers.

Sancti-claws - haven't tried Matthew Quick. This is how selective I am - I've never really enjoyed a book by a male author until 'The Rosie Project'. I'm not proud of this! I think I could try 'The Silver Linings Playbook' though, thankyou! Unless it goes into a fantasy world - should have added 'no fantasy' to the restrictions :yes:

#64 Riotproof

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:44 PM

I'm going to look on my shelf for you, Threebananas. If I've kept it, there was a reason.

#65 ThreeBananas

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:55 PM

LettyRaines, on 03 August 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

ThreeBananas, how about something by JoJo Moyes? I adored her ‘Me Before You’ series. A little bit of drama in each, but similar to Marian Keyes & Liane Moriarty.

Maybe something by Sally Hepworth as well? The Family Next Door was a good read.

Back in May I read ‘The Mummy Bloggers’ by Holly Wainwright, while it was definitely not the kind of story I’m ‘in to’, it was such an easy read and it wasn’t so bad. She has another one coming out next month; follows on from Mummy Bloggers.

Other suggestions... maybe ‘The Museum of Modern Love’ by Heather Rose, or ‘The Signature of All Things’ by Elizabeth Gilbert?

Thankyou Letty Raines! I read 'Me Before You' and enjoyed it but didn't love the characters and didn't feel compelled to continue.

I tried Sally Hepworth's 'The Secrets of Midwives' and couldn't get into it but 'The Family Next Door' sounds good as does her new one 'The Mother In Law'!

Got halfway through The Mummy Bloggers - didn't like the characters.

'The Museum of Modern Love' sounds like a go-er!

Couldn't get through 'Eat Pray Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert and 'historical' is another no-go.

Thankyou so much for all the ideas!

#66 rollinginthepages

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:17 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#67 Sancti-claws

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

ThreeBananas, on 03 August 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Sancti-claws - haven't tried Matthew Quick. This is how selective I am - I've never really enjoyed a book by a male author until 'The Rosie Project'. I'm not proud of this! I think I could try 'The Silver Linings Playbook' though, thankyou! Unless it goes into a fantasy world - should have added 'no fantasy' to the restrictions :yes:
My favourite (and the first I read - actually, I had the audio before I reread the word version) is "The Good Luck of Right Now".

You will never regard Richard Gere in quite the same way...

#68 rollinginthepages

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#69 Tinsilitis

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

While I was looking for Liane Moriarty books on Overdrive I found Sinead Moriarty. She is an Irish writer of fairly light fare.

I really enjoyed her books. I'd put her in the same type of author as Liane Moriarty, Marian Keyes, Sophie Kinsella.

#70 petal71

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

The last book I read was Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies, which I really enjoyed. I enjoyed the contemporary suburban lives with the darker undertones, but agree the DV in BLL was a bit hard to read.

Have just moved onto "Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki" by Haruki Murakami. I really love his stuff - it is just so out there and surreal, and explores the dream world and psyche so well.

#71 DM. 2012

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

The most recent book I finished was The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I loved it but it was also so sad that this happened.

Next book I want to read is Boy Swallows Universe.

#72 MooGuru

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

Three Bananas - have you read The Book Of Love by Phillipa Fioretti?
That might meet your criteria.

#73 lozoodle

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

My sister passed on a Marian keys book ive been meaning to start. I struggle to get I the mindset to read. but then once I start I can't put it down.

#74 **Xena**

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

What about Life Swap by Jane Green? It's a light read and not really romancey if I remember correctly. About a Mum/housewife and a single career woman swapping lives for a month.

#75 cardamom

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:56 PM

Halfway through The Secret Life of Bees and enjoying it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.