What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#76 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

I put down Crampton Hodnet as I have a large new pile from the library and started reading "How to be Happy" - loving it so far (although trigger warning on dementia, cancer, infidelity, abandonment, infertility and death of a child so far)

#77 hills mum bec

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostDM. 2012, on 04 August 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

The most recent book I finished was The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I loved it but it was also so sad that this happened.

Next book I want to read is Boy Swallows Universe.

I enjoyed The Tatooist of Auschwitz, I loved the story but I felt it was written quite poorly and could have been so much more.  The author is a script writer and it showed.  She desrcribed what happened well but left out the descriptions of how the characters felt.

Boy Swallows Universe is on my library hold list.

#78 ThreeBananas

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

View PostSancti-claws, on 04 August 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

My favourite (and the first I read - actually, I had the audio before I reread the word version) is "The Good Luck of Right Now".

You will never regard Richard Gere in quite the same way...

I love the sound of this one! Love a quirky main character. Thankyou!

Sorry not sure how to quote again but thankyou for everyone's suggestions - so helpful! I have quite a list to tide me over now.

I've read a couple of Jane Green and Sinead Moriarty - enjoyable but didn't absolutely love the writing. The 'Book of Love' sounds interesting too.

Thanks again, I wish I could return the favour but my list of books I didn't love is probably longer than the list of the ones I did :blush:

#79 rollinginthepages

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#80 Hollycoddle

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

I'm about to start The Erratics, I think it's by Vicki Laveau Harvie.

ETA Finished it in a few days, loved it. It's a memoir, not fiction.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 20 August 2018 - 11:23 PM.

#81 Lilith2112

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:48 PM

I received a book today from my online delivery - The Yellow Wallpaper, can't wait to get into it tonight.

#82 rollinginthepages

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#83 hills mum bec

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

I finished The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society.  It was really good.  Took a bit to get into it but couldn't put it down towards the end.  I have never read a book in that letter type format so took a bit of getting used to.

#84 MooGuru

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 04 August 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Three Bananas - have you read The Book Of Love by Phillipa Fioretti?
That might meet your criteria.

I just finished reading her latest book "For one night only". I really, really enjoyed the Book of Love so was stoked to see she had a new one but struggled with what felt like romanticising a dysfunctional relationship/behaviour. Very disappointing

#85 Riotproof

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

I am midway through battleaxe by Sara Douglass and it is sooo good. Just as good as I remember.

I had a look online and realized they are so old, they’re hard to buy now, especially with the 1995 artwork, so I bought all 3 from Booktopia.
Where are people buying books online now? I’m finding Booktopia is actually efficient and does give you free shipping if you get there via booko.

#86 FiveAus

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 15 August 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

I am midway through battleaxe by Sara Douglass and it is sooo good. Just as good as I remember.

I had a look online and realized they are so old, they’re hard to buy now, especially with the 1995 artwork, so I bought all 3 from Booktopia.
Where are people buying books online now? I’m finding Booktopia is actually efficient and does give you free shipping if you get there via booko.

Sara was a friend of mine, she died of cancer when she was in her 50's. She was a lovely person.
The Battleaxe trilogy were her first published books and they launched her career as an author. One of the biggest delights of her life was that they were very, very popular amongst the Aussie troops serving in the Middle East.
My favourite book of hers was Threshold. It's a standalone novel.

#87 hills mum bec

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

I'm currently reading the final book in the Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer, This was A Man.  I've really enjoyed the series, very easy to read.

#88 rollinginthepages

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

#89 Riotproof

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Fiveaus, wow. That sounds like a good story. Apparently a prequel to the darkglass mountain series, which I also hear is good. She’s such a wonderful world builder.

Lettyraines, I loved the lost flowers of Alice Hart. I am keeping it and not just for the stunning cover. I can feel I will want to read it again.

#90 rollinginthepages

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

#91 Riotproof

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

The botanists daughter is tantalizing me on my Facebook feed too. I’ve avoided clicking on the links because I know I will want it immediately.

#92 **Xena**

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

I've read all the Bullerby Children books I ordered and the first Pippi Longstocking book :D

My husband just bought the other two books in the Battleaxe series off ebay. They arrived today :)

Edited by **Xena**, 15 August 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#93 ceeshell

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

I read A Little Life and it tried to kill me. My god.

So I followed up, 8 weeks later (I seriously needed that time to decompress) with Less by Andrew Sean Greer.

EVERYONE MUST READ IT IMMEDIATELY. It is a wonderful gem of a book that is an antidote to the sh*tstorm that is the world at the moment.

ETA: I'm Currently ready My Heart is My Own by John Guy about Mary Queen of Scots. It isn't my usual thing but I am enjoying it.

Edited by ceeshell, 15 August 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#94 Ellie bean

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

^^i just read Less recently and loved it too

#95 lizzzard

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

The Bible (NIV). Highly recommended :p

#96 MooGuru

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 15 August 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

I've read all the Bullerby Children books I ordered and the first Pippi Longstocking book :D

My husband just bought the other two books in the Battleaxe series off ebay. They arrived today :)
They were my favourite books as a kid. I never knew you could get them in English!
My baby name list included Lasse, Kalle and Bosse which DH ruled out on the basis they don't work here :(

#97 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 15 August 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

The Bible (NIV). Highly recommended :p

wasnt a fan of the main character....

Im reading SPQR by Mary Beard - I started it a while back and it seemed like it was going to beat me but Im getting into it now. shes a great author and her love of all things ancient rome is evident on every page

#98 lizzzard

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 15 August 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

wasnt a fan of the main character....

Fair enough. He does have a bit of a God complex :lol:

#99 **Xena**

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 15 August 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

They were my favourite books as a kid. I never knew you could get them in English!
My baby name list included Lasse, Kalle and Bosse which DH ruled out on the basis they don't work here :(

Yes, except they call them the Noisy Village Children which is why it took me awhile to find them. Boo DH :lol: I love them. They are so simple and yet a wonderful glimpse into a Swedish childhood for the time :)

#100 Let-it-go

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

View Postceeshell, on 15 August 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

I read A Little Life and it tried to kill me. My god.

I’m still battlescarred.  A friend said I HAD to read it, I have since almost wept to her ‘why did you do that to me?’  It is just so so so so disturbing and intense and looooooooooong and beyond anything I’ve ever read.  I feel proud of myself that I got through it but I’m mentally scarred forever.

I’m reading The Break at the moment.  Set in Canada.  Heavy going.  Depressing.  But very good.

Why do I do it to myself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.