Sitting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 arayofsunshine

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

My second turned 9 months today.

She has always been ahead of my first in reaching all the milestones. I was so positive she’d be sitting by herself unsupported by 8 months at the latest.

Alas she’s now 9 months and not close to sitting unsupported.

She crawls up to a meter and half now. Whereas my first didn’t crawl until she was 14 months.

But I’m worried. My first hit every development point after 12 weeks onwards on the dot (very latest). But my second isn’t sitting.

I know the developmental recommendations say 9 months is the very latest they can start sitting unsupported so I’m very worried.

Has anyone experienced this? What were the reasons your baby’s physio/paed gave for this?

I’m planning to take her to the GP to get referral to relevant person to get help. I’m just so anxious. :’(

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

My 3rd hit 9m and wasn’t sitting. I just made sure I spent lots of time on the floor with her sitting between my legs giving a bit of support, but teaching her to sit.

She is now an 8yo and I look back and laugh at all my worry (also didn’t walk until 17.5m - but brohers were 16.5 and 19.5).

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

My DD sat very very late. She didn’t seem to see any point in staying still long enough to figure it out! She was ahead in every other milestone, she walked at 11mo. She’s 4 and still doesn’t sit much.

DS started sitting early, I think because it gave him a better view of his sister. He was motivated to sit, DD was not.

#4 Renovators delight

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

My two older sons did not sit unassisted until quite late. Eldest around 10-11 months and eldest about 12 months. Both could crawl, in fact, eldest was creeping along furniture way before he could sit.

My theory was that both had very large heads - middle child's head was about 115th percentile. He was under care of a paed and nobody was ever concerned about inability to sit.

Please try not to be anxious. You are doing the right thing by checking with the GP and following up on any referrals.

#5 Palm tree

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

My first son didn't sit unsupported until 10 1/2 months. The physio wasn't really sure on why he couldn't sit. We where on a waiting list for the developmental  paed when all of a sudden he went from just army crawling around the floor using only one leg and one arm to sitting, crawling and cruising around furniture all in one month.
He's now 17 months and scary at the play ground keeping up with the big kids, he definitely not behind anymore.

#6 DJandJ

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

My DS was late to sit, at about 10.5 months. I used to envy the other neat little babies in Mother’s group who would sit in a nice circle. DS was like a wobbly clown toy. He’s now 12 and plays rugby. Try not to worry.

#7 TheGreenSheep

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

If in doubt check it out.

#8 MooGuru

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

DS could walk before he could sit. He just never stayed still long enough to learn I think.
If you are worried it's worth checking out for peace of mind if nothing else but I think sitting might have a smidge of personality element to it as I know a few kids who just didn't "get"sitting because why sit when you can move.

#9 QuirkyMum

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

If your local early childhood center (or childhood centre at your closest major hospital that you are in area for) has OT and speech therapists and pead clinic, then I'd go to your early childhood nurse and she will refer you to their OT clinic. In our area this kind of referrals and checks take up to a week, if it is the same where you are your baby will be checked very soon by one of the OTs and they will suggest some ideas how to help your baby to sit unassisted and will advise if they see something isn't right with baby's gross motor skills. Occasionally they organize group workshops on " how to encourage your baby to crawl/sit".
I wouldn't worry. You bub is probably more interested in crawling and exploring than sitting still!

#10 gettin my fance on

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:03 PM

DD couldn't sit up by herself - we would surround her with cushions for the inevitable fall backwards - until she was around 10 months old.  She didn't roll over until 10 months (hated time on her tummy), didn't crawl until 11 months, started walking at 13 months.

#11 arayofsunshine

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the reassurance.

I took my baby to the GP today and she gave me a referral to see her paed.

Unfortunately the paed does not have an appointment until October :(

They put us on the cancellation list. I hope we come up in next week or two!

We were joking that she'd probably be sitting by then...

#12 Kattikat

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

11 month old DD here can't sit... But can commando crawl at lightning speed, stand up against furniture, kneel and cruise. She's just got too many other things to do..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.