Tips for DD on how to become an Air Hostess

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Whitters

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

DD is just about to turn 17 and would like to become an air hostess. I understand she must wait until she is 18 or older.
She has spoken to the career's adviser at school who has suggested she undertake a TAFE course in Hospitality and additionally gain some experience by working in a cafe or similar.
Are there any air hostesses out there who could offer some tips as to how she could best prepare herself for this career path?
I know that presentation is everything and she is incredible to say the least at doing her makeup and hair.
What else could she do to make herself stand out from the crowd of applications when the time comes?
Are there any tips that others could give?

#2 QuirkyMum

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Learn more languages?

#3 MooGuru

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

It's been a long time so things may have changed but airlines used to have very strict criteria and also information re the role description available either on request or I imagine it might even just be online.
I remember looking into it (I get motion sick so I don't know what I was thinking) about 15yrs ago and several airlines had strict height restrictions  (tall enough to reach everything, short enough that you wouldn't hit your head on overhead lockers in the event of an emergency etc).
I ended up in a related job and several people moved from there to flight attendant as the competition for those jobs wasn't as high and internal applications or industry experience allegedly were considered a good boost.

Definitely anything demonstrating experience with customer service/hospitality is a good thing.

Eta words so I make sense.

Re the languages - to be officially able to be classed as multilingual you need to be able to pass university quality language tests I believe. So learning languages is a great idea but I know people who grew up bilingual and have easy conversational language skills who weren't able to pass the airline language test (again 15ish years ago) so learning languages is great but be realistic about what she hopes to gain from it i.e. being able to do basic conversation vs being regarded as bilingual. I only say that as I know of people who were incredibly disappointed to discover their child having blitzed yr 10 Japanese was not the amazingly impressive "we have to have you!" CV feature they had expected.

The people I know who went on to be flight attendants were all confident and well presented and for the most part loved the work.
Good luck!

Edited by MooGuru, 02 August 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

Advanced first aid course would also be handy.

Being totally morbid, they are front & centre if things go wrong.

#5 lizzzard

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

Does she speak a second language? I've heard it is very desirable. A bit hard to do at this stage though!

Other than that, it's really a customer service job so any experience in that field is probably desirable, especially jobs requiring a bit of food prep like being a barista or cafe staff.

Personally, I can't imagine anything worse than being a FA. I would recommend she really look into it closely. It's nowhere near as glamorous as many people think.

#6 Lifesgood

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

I think the role is now called flight attendant not air hostess.

Try checking some of the big airline careers pages on their websites.

#7 Whitters

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes, we've had a look online and there is one course through TAFE but only offered in Northern NSW no where near us. There is a course through Australia Aviation in Sydney but it is $5,500.

#8 Sara.xoxo

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

I was a flight attendant for a few years in the 00’s
Back then you needed your
-RSA certificate
-Level 2 first aid certificate
-Full drivers licence
-Mobile phone
Lots of prep courses around but imo you just need to go to a few interview days to get the hand of the process. Tell your DD not to be disappointed if she doesn’t get in first try, just keep trying. Any customer service role will give her some good experience, if she is multi lingual it’s a great bonus.
All airlines had height/weight requirements and once you passed the interview you had to pass a medical.
My tips to your DD, be friendly and professional on the day. Be kind to everyone you meet on the day and if asked why you want the job don’t say you love to travel (everyone says that). Try to dress like a flight attendant, nails done and wear pantyhose and high heels.
It’s a wonderful job but imo it’s not a forever job. The shift work is hard and it’s quite physical too. The travel perks are amazing and it’s a great way to see the world. Good luck to your DD.

#9 Whitters

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

Thank you so so much Sara that is really helpful information!

#10 rob^2

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

I work for a smaller airline (but not as a Flight Attendant FA), where it would be easier to get a first job as a Flight Attendant.
See the info on the company's website.
http://www.rex.com.a...tail.aspx?jid=4

#11 Caribou

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:02 PM

If she’s not ready for doing FA she could apply for Sydney airport front desk check in. They’re seperate to airline, but you don’t need as much expirence. Bonus is you get to wear different airline uniforms and feet on ground while she gets the expirence she needs to be a flight attendant. Downside hours are werid. But like shift work.

Sorry for spelling!

Edited by Caribou, 02 August 2018 - 06:04 PM.

#12 IamOzgirl

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

I have quiet a few friends at one of the major airlines one of the males really wanted to be a flight attendant, he was well groomed and fit BUT he was a bit of a bogan. Sorry but he was!

One in our group was on the hiring/interview panel and he would put her on the spot for tips, it was awkward all around.

He eventually got hired, and I believe deportment and voice classes were required. So something to consider.

He worked for the airline in another capacity and so if she doesn’t get in on the first try, apply in another department whilst you wait. It will help show how much she wants it.

#13 Whitters

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

Thank you all  that's such amazing advice!

#14 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

I wouldn’t pay to do the course. The flight attendants I know are actually bilingual but also extremely well groomed and very charismatic. Maybe check on the airline pages to find out when their open days are and get her to go along. I know Emirates had one a little while ago.

http://www.emiratesg...com/cabin-crew/

Edited by No Drama Please, 02 August 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#15 Claudia Jean

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

Edited by Claudia Jean, 18 June 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#16 sammyv

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

I applied to be a flight attendant in the 00 for Air NZ.  You had to be a certain height and weight.  Had to be able to reach to a certain height.

The application process was a application letter with photo.  If you had any customer service experience this was great.  So perhaps your dd could get a retail or hospitality job now.

The interview process was a series a group interview and phycological testing over two days.

Out of the 250 applicants only 20 got an interview and only about 5 got a job offer.

#17 Illiterati

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Be a nurse?  I know a couple of people who have transitioned from nursing to flight attendants easily doing international flights for top airlines.

One did  nurse to mid 20’s  - flight att. mid 20 to mid 30’s - nurse mid 30’s - late 40’s (while kids were small)- flight att. late 40’s on  (now kids are in high school).

#18 Daffy2016

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

The airlines do their own training, I think. So I would have a look at their websites and see what info they have about careers. Don’t discount regional airlines like Rex too, or charter companies.

First aid and languages, I would think. What attracts your DD to the work? Think about how she might be able to get some experience in those areas.

Also they’re called flight attendants now...

#19 just roses

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

The one person I knew who was a FA (international for Emirates) had a degree and a second language.

I wouldn't do a course at a private college. But I'd check with the airlines themselves re requirements and then start training in another field while she keeps trying.

#20 just roses

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Also, the airline jobs that are really needed right now are pilots! Qantas has a huge shortage. And there's a push to get more women into flying too.

#21 Nrsnat

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

I think there is a requirement about being able to swim if I remember correctly, although that may have been international only?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.