Baby safety

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AbbyC

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

We are slowly childproofing the house so that ds can roam & play at will. We installed the baby locks on the cupboards & drawers in the kitchen, but I'm worried ds can still pinch or slam his fingers inside.

#2 EmmDasher

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

Doors and drawers shut. Guaranteed that at some point your kid will get their fingers pinched somewhere whether it’s a kitchen drawer or a sliding door, car door. You can’t remove them all from life. We have stoppers to prevent bedroom doors slamming. I’d rather they get a little pain and a shock with a kitchen drawer than be stuffing around with a bedroom door and sever a finger. Both of my kids have done it once or twice and have learned very quickly to watch their fingers!

Edited by EmmDasher, 06 August 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Caribou

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

Hmmm we didn’t lock any drawers withDD and the only kitchen cabinet we’ve locked is the pantry cos DS likes to take things off the shelf. Beyond that I am a bit more relaxed with baby safety. Only heavy items like furniture is secured to the wall and all posionous  items out of reach.

Otherwise he’s free to rattle around the Tupperware cabinet. Sure saves my sanity at times.

Wouldnt go too overboard OP. Just wait and see what your child does. They may never access cabinets or pinch their fingers, and if they do, it’s not really a issue, they will just learn to not do it again after a few goes.

Edited by Caribou, 06 August 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

I didn't baby proof, we lived in a small house with not much clutter at the time so just took things as they came along, turns out he was not very inquisitive so never really did anything different as he grew

#5 Akadia

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

We didn't baby proof all that much - but what we did do was:

- plugs in power outlets
- any chemicals / unsafe cleaning or other items we ensured were up high out of possible reach
- Secured anything big or heavy so they couldn't be pulled down
- Cords on blinds etc were all secured to the window frames
- Doors / windows locked

#6 Minka1313

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

I've used 3M velcro tape in my kitchen/bathroom cupboards. It is great because they can be opened with a bit of a pull, but my little son, 18 months, isn't strong enough yet to pull it open. My big boy is, at 3.5, but he understands what he should and shouldn't touch.

Chemicals/batteries etc are all either stored up high or with proper locks so they can't get into them.

#7 Luci

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

I have three children (all older now) and didn't do much baby proofing. I installed stair gates, and made sure dangerous items such as chemicals and sharp knives were not left in reach.  I also had a bookcase bolted to the wall.  

It can depend a bit of individual children as well. My three were not climbers or the "into everything" sort.

#8 kris napalm

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

For the doors we mainly used dorr wedges from kmart (https://www.bigw.com...-white/p/43248/) and door stopper from gummbabies (https://www.gummybab...ge-dog-doorstop)

we just persistently explained our DD to be careful when she opens something.. and usually its fine :)

#9 FeelingcLucky

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostAkadia, on 06 August 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

We didn't baby proof all that much - but what we did do was:

- plugs in power outlets
- any chemicals / unsafe cleaning or other items we ensured were up high out of possible reach
- Secured anything big or heavy so they couldn't be pulled down
- Cords on blinds etc were all secured to the window frames
- Doors / windows locked

This was us too, and once DS got a bit bigger we had to remove the knife block off the kitchen bench as I came out of the shower one morning to find him on top of the kitchen bench playing with the knifes. Aside from that with 2 inquisitive toddlers I think there's only so much you can do - they seem to learn quickly what they can and can't touch and what will slam or 'bite' / burn them.

#10 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

I think the main thing to worry about with babyproofing is removing the chance of anything killing or maiming them (and anything you really value being destroyed).

Pinching or slamming fingers they can experience and learn from.

#11 HolierThanCow

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

Stair gates, putting all cleaning products out of reach and a few plastic rounders on bench and table corners are about all we've done. I did put a drawer lock on one of our crockery drawers, but that was for the safety of the plates and bowls, not my 12 month old!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.