Jump to content
Early experiences of allergy/intolerance
7 replies to this topic
Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:57 PM
Just wondering what other children's first experiences of allergy or intolerance were? Was it really dramatic anaphylaxis to start with, or did the reaction it start out mild?
My 10mth old DD had some vomiting after having peanut butter for the second time, but not sure if it was just coincidental. I plan to discuss with her GP before giving DD peanuts again, but just wondering what other people's early experiences were with allergy or intolerance?
Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:21 PM
Vomiting after a food should be seen by the GP ASAP in case it is a reaction.
Any further exposure to the allergen could result in anaphlyaxis.
DD had a rash around her mouth when she ate egg at 6 months, the specialist said any further exposure could result in an ana reaction.
I would take her to the GP and get skin prick testing to rule out any allergies.
Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:38 PM
DS’s first reaction to peanuts (I think he was around 2?) was coughing and facial swelling/hives. All reactions after that one have been hives (mostly facial, one whole body reaction) and vomiting.
Our personal experience is that vomiting alone wasn’t an allergic reaction, but definitely best to get checked out by your GP!
Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:49 PM
When DD first ate egg at 8mo she got hives around her mouth. When she was older I let her have a tiny piece of walnut, which she had eaten before, and her tongue got swollen (we went to ED).
The GP is certainly a good idea. If you want to see a public allergist, you will possibly be on a waiting list for years, even many of the private ones have quite a wait.
Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:55 PM
My son first had a reaction to egg when the white and yolk were not fully cooked would swell up and go bright red. He grew out of this when he was about 5.
As a result of this we were told not to give him peanuts unless in a controlled environment so avoided. Gave peanuts at 5, had a fast reaction hives and swelling, called childrens hospital and told to give him antishistamine and see a allergist.
He is now 15 and turns out was allergic to peanuts, with every reaction they are cumulative so get worse, he now carries and epipen and gets checked yearly with a skin prick test with a paediatric allergist. Some public hospitals have a waitlist for their allergy clinics so would suggest contacting them now, or get a referral for a private allergist, they often have a few months of waitlists as well. We also have had a food challenge in hospital to see how severe the reaction was once his testing came back as going down. This resulted in a retriggering of his allergy in our case.
Hope this helps
Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:00 PM
DS was a bit under 1 when he tried peanut butter toast, instant rash around the mouth, don’t think he vomited though, but he was too young to swallow much of it. A few weeks later I wiped a bit on his cheek, again, rash, so that was it. Family history of peanut allergy so I left it at that.
He was a bit older when he vomited badly after some pesto. Couldn’t work out why,(laterI realised that brand pesto had cashews in it)
Later I gave him some rocky road made with cashews and he got a rash around his mouth, so I figured he was allergic to cashews too.
Maybe 4 months later he had official allergy testing and was confirmed allergic to peanuts, cashews and pistachios.
Vomiting and a rash is a common allergic reaction. I wouldn’t feed your DD peanuts again, because it’s such a common and highly reactive allergy, but maybe smear a tiny bit on her skin and check for a reaction. And take a photo and consult your GP if anything happens.
Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:13 PM
My DS broke out in hives all over his body and his body was red (likee it was burnt) and super itchy after one mouthful of baby custard.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles