Wedding etiquette (fluffy)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

Ok so this question is a bit tongue in cheek, so please don’t bother commenting as if I’m treating this like a serious matter.

I’m looking for a dress to wear to SIL’s wedding, and I came across a dress I really like - but it’s white (all white, but knee length). I’d usually not even consider it, but SIL wore a full length white dress to my wedding. She asked, I said fine whatever as that sort of thing does not bother me, but I know many who it would be a serious faux pas.

So, wear white to her wedding? I think it would annoy her, so I won’t, but I’m tempted.

(SIL has a habit of interrogating me about stuff that she knows I struggle with, I sometimes feel like she’s trying to assert dominance which I find amusing, but doesn’t endear her to me. She lives far away so isn’t part of our day to day lives so I ignore it all)

#2 *Marty*

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

Haven't had a good Bridezilla thread for a while so I say..  send her two pics of white dresses and ask her which one should you wear to her wedding??

#3 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:13 PM

Yes but what fascinator will you wear?

#4 Sara.xoxo

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

I think it’s totally fine as long as you leave the veil at home 😂

No white at weddings imo is very old school. If you’re worried maybe team it wth a colourful silk scarf or jacket?

#5 BadCat

White to a wedding?  Yes

Any colour to anything as far as I'm concerned.  I don't hold with such frippery as letting other people dictate our clothing colour and rarely bow to it.

For this particular wedding?  Oh hell yes.  Poke the bear and then report back with juicy details.  Make them up if you have to.

#6 Dianalynch

I'd go passo on her...

I'd tell her I was tempted by a white dress for her wedding, but I didn't buy it because of my impeccable manners. I'd add it's okay that she wore white to my wedding, I fully understand not everyone has such a great sense of etiquette.

#7 Mmmcheese

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 18 August 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Oooh, yes. I think the fascinator is the key to stealing all the attention, which I imagine will drive her nuts.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 18 August 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Of course I need a fascinator! Why did I not think of that?

#9 Mooples

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

I’m team no, you know that she wore white to yours but not all the guests will and there will most definitely be someone judging you for doing it. With all the beautiful coloured and print dresses out there I’m sure you will find another dress.

#10 nup

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

It's a no from me. Plenty of other dresses. Keep looking.

#11 Inkogneatoh

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 18 August 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

I'd go passo on her...

I'd tell her I was tempted by a white dress for her wedding, but I didn't buy it because of my impeccable manners. I'd add it's okay that she wore white to my wedding, I fully understand not everyone has such a great sense of etiquette.

Or ask her in front of others. "You know how you wore a white dress to my wedding, and I was and still am cool with that. Well, I've been searching for a dress for yours, and guess what colour it is? Your cool about it as well, right?"

#12 Mrs Claus

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

A friends new SIL (deliberately) wore a dress the same color as the bridesmaids and a tiara...

You need a tiara

#13 deedee15

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

View PostInkogneatoh, on 18 August 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

Or ask her in front of others. "You know how you wore a white dress to my wedding, and I was and still am cool with that. Well, I've been searching for a dress for yours, and guess what colour it is? Your cool about it as well, right?"
^this, especially if it’s a dress you absolutely adore, the only exception would be if she has selected the same dress to be married in.

#14 eponee

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Splaydes as a gift, too!!!

#15 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

View Posteponee, on 18 August 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Splaydes as a gift, too!!!

Perfect!

#16 Lilith2112

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostMrs Claus, on 18 August 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

A friends new SIL (deliberately) wore a dress the same color as the bridesmaids and a tiara...

You need a tiara

NOooo... really?!   This gives me hope in the world for more laughs :)

but I am on team whatever makes YOU feel good.  I can't tell you when one of my friends wore actual white, so many lovely colours to chose from for your wedding dress.

Go white, fascinator and all, knee high boots, whatever xx

#17 BadCat

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:01 PM

View PostMooples, on 18 August 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

I’m team no, you know that she wore white to yours but not all the guests will and there will most definitely be someone judging you for doing it. With all the beautiful coloured and print dresses out there I’m sure you will find another dress.

Excellent.  OP will be doing a public service by giving the judgey types something to do.  It's a win for all concerned.

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

wear the white dress - if she b**ches about it i would present to her as defence exhibit A - picture of her at your wedding in a white dress...

#19 BadCat

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

Wear it.  Tell her it's not white, it's "soft eggshell blizzard polar bear blue" and enjoy the look of confusion on her face.

#20 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:34 PM

White dress, fascinator with veil attached, spaylds for a gift or complain about the wishing well being tacky.

#21 CCABW

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:38 PM

Wear what you want. I’m more interested in whether there will be a wishing well.

#22 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

Your SIL is odd. I probably wouldn’t care too much what people wore I didn’t really take any notice but if I was going to be offended by something I wouldn’t do it myself. You say she will be upset but she did it to you, that’s so odd. If I knew she would be p*ssed having it done to her but she did it to me I may play as low as her.

#23 dolcengabbana

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

View PostBadCat, on 18 August 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Wear it.  Tell her it's not white, it's "soft eggshell blizzard polar bear blue" and enjoy the look of confusion on her face.

Please.... please do this also get someone to record this and share the reaction with us

#24 ~J_F~

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostMooples, on 18 August 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

The randoms judging would just add to the fun :D

I second the tiara!

#25 Malkin Slinkhard

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

Do iiit. But I’m petty 🤷‍♀️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.