One week in Adelaide

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 cvbn

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

Do you sew? The Drapery is a gorgeous little fabric shop on Glen Osmond road.

#27 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

I forgot Birdwood. :gasp: I thought it and then forgot to include it! I love that place but I grew up there and spent a large part of my formative years in that museum - loved it. As a resident we could go in for free any time. Went more recently with my kid and it was still interesting although some things have changed.

You could do that in my itinerary on a Morialta/Lofty day - and you drive past the Big Rocking Horse to get to it so could stop in there for half an hour and climb it.

I love Beerenberg too, but the best part is the strawberry patch which won't open until November.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 22 August 2018 - 08:49 PM.

#28 hills mum bec

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:52 PM

Oh yes!  The motor museum at Birdwood is really good & they have a Bugatti Veyron on display ATM.  It is local to us and DS17 is trying to spend as much of his spare time there as he can drooling over the Bugatti.

#29 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The oval climb and victor harbor look like go'ers.

Hahndorf is on our way home anyway, hence why we'll do a stop through on the way home instead of dedicating a day to go out there and back.  DH just wants a giant beer.

I've nixed the toy factory.  Question marked Mt Lofty.  Neither of us are super keen bush walkers to be honest.  As for the beaches, I just know Glenelg is the one that everyone raves about and it has the tram and stuff.  I've no idea what there is to actually do there or at any of the other beaches.

#30 Let-it-go

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

At that time of year, you’d be going to the beach for coffee, lunch and a long walk soaking in the scenery.  The beaches are quite wide at low tide and great for walking.  Glenelg has a few shops to wander.  But it’s too cold for swimming at that time of year.  If it’s really windy, it’s not as pleasant.  

As for ‘raving’ about Glenelg, I just thinks it’s the beach people know about as it’s a busy shopping spot and that’s where the tram goes.

#31 JinksNewton

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

Re Victor Harbour, it's a pity you can't be down that way on a weekend....as much of a tourist thing as it is, the Cockle Train (which is a restored steam engine with original carriages) has some gorgeous views as it goes from Victor and Goolwa and back... last time we went on it we saw a pod of dolphins surfing in the breakers on Boomer Beach as we passed.
The walk to and from Granite Island is really nice, if you are going to have lunch down that way I'd say go to the Flying Fish Cafe which is right on Horseshoe Bay in Port Elliot. Port Elliot generally is really lovely and amazing beaches, it's maybe 7km from Victor, takes no time to get there.
FWIW during summer holidays the train runs multiple times a day, just not at that time of year.
I also second the PPs who mentioned the Motor Museum in Birdwood.

ETA the Bay to Birdwood run is on Sept 30 if you are there then, it's one of the biggest vintage car runs in Australia and people line the roads to watch the cars/bikes etc go by. Pretty amazing seeing hundreds of cars older than your parents (or grandparents) in action

Edited by JinksNewton, 23 August 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#32 KMGP

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:31 PM

If you’re heading to Victor Harbour you might like to make a side trip to Myponga.
There’s a brewery there called Smiling Samoyed and they do delicious food and beer tasting. I’m not sure if they’re open every day but worth a visit if they’re open while you’re down that way.

#33 born.a.girl

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostGreen Gummy Bear, on 23 August 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The oval climb and victor harbor look like go'ers.

Hahndorf is on our way home anyway, hence why we'll do a stop through on the way home instead of dedicating a day to go out there and back.  DH just wants a giant beer.

I've nixed the toy factory.  Question marked Mt Lofty.  Neither of us are super keen bush walkers to be honest.  As for the beaches, I just know Glenelg is the one that everyone raves about and it has the tram and stuff.  I've no idea what there is to actually do there or at any of the other beaches.

Recently we went to Paris (me for the first time), and towards the top of my list was the Eiffel tower. I can't tell you how many people told me 'oh you get better views ....', or 'the real travellers put Eiffel at the bottom of their list...'.   To that I responded 'and I'll bet they've all been there'.

There's nothing jaw dropping about going on the tram to Glenelg beach, but it's just lovely.  Having the tram terminate in the middle of a little strip of shops, and the beach at the end, is just ... lovely.   If you're not from Melbourne (where I am) it will be particularly enjoyable to just go through the suburbs on the way there.

#34 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

Not bush walkers? Drive up to Mt Lofty summit instead https://www.tripadvi..._Australia.html

Morialta Falls is not too strenuous a bushwalk especially to first falls. https://www.tripadvi...South_Aust.html

If you want a nice trip to the beach and shops to potter in Glenelg is fine. It's probably fine for what you want. :)

#35 Lees75

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:16 AM

If you like beaches and cafes, I would be tempted to have a beach day:
1. Semaphore for breakfast
2. Grange for morning tea
3. Glenelg for lunch and shopping
4. Brighton for afternoon tea
5. If you have time - dinner at sunset in Moana at the Deep Blue Cafe.

My ideal day - lol!

#36 Let-it-go

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostLees75, on 24 August 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

2. Grange for morning tea

Add in 2.5 Go to The Little Boutique in Grange to shop.  Most beautiful boutique in Adelaide.

I love our beaches, I love that I can drive 20mins in one direction and be in Grange (my favourite beach) or 20mins in the other direction and be bushwalking in Morialta.  Probably my 2 favourite things to do in our fair city.  Well, other than in March when the Fringe and Womad are on :laugh:.

#37 Sentient Puddle

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

You are all making me homesick for Adelaide :-(

#38 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

I FORGOT MORE THINGS.

Driving home from Arbury Park today I went past Mt Lofty summit, Crafers, Cleland - which has a fantastic view of Adelaide when you drive down Greenhill road - and then I remembered Gorge WIldlife Park.

If you like animals, OP, those are good places to visit (probably just one, not both, if you do a Mt Lofty drive.

#39 JinksNewton

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

The Mount Lofty Botanical Gardens are also quite lovely <3

#40 hills mum bec

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Gorge wildlife park is excellent, heaps better than Cleland.

OP, might not be your thing but we have been on a few ghost tours and they are really interesting and fun.  Didn’t see any ghosts but the tours are great with interesting, well told stories.  
https://adelaidehauntedhorizons.com.au

#41 kitykat_35

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Another recommendation for Morialta as well- nearly always koalas there & go do the easy walk into 1st waterfall, all other walks range from moderate to difficult.
Checkout woodside cheese factory
Port Adelaide has lots of self guided history / ghost walks & a great range of pubs all with good food- lots recently renovated & with great atmosphere. Could also do a dolphin boat cruise- yes you will see dolphins!
Nearby semaphore is lovely

Edited by kitykat_35, 26 August 2018 - 11:59 AM.

#42 RPM

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

View PostGreen Gummy Bear, on 22 August 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Day 2: Drive out to visit the toy factory and whispering wall (are these worth the visit - especially as we won't have kids with us?)

Day 4: Museum

Neither of us are wine drinkers so aren't heading toward the Barossa.  

Is there something spectacular we should see or do that I've not thought of?  Or better way to spend the time we have got?

I would give the toy factory and whispering wall a miss.  Toy factory is OK with kids, but not worth it for adults.  I found the whispering wall to be a waste of time - I lived in Adelaide for 20 years and only ever went there once for about 5 minutes.

The zoo is good (nice and compact), but the museum depends on where you are coming from.  The museums in Sydney and Melbourne are much more impressive so it could be a let down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.