Doctors Sign Off Forms

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 150watson

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

Being winter out kids are forever snotty and coughing. When I drop my 9mth old at childcare, they are all the same.

Yet how does anyone hold down a job these days?

My daughter has run a high temperature a couple of times but other than her snotty nose, is completely fine and constantly happy.
Normally when I take her to the doctor the temp is gone and she will check all signs and tell me just to keep her hydrated and send me on my way.

But now my centre has introduced a sign off form meaning my daughter cant return to childcare until a doc signs it off. And now because there is document, my doc wont sign it off until she has been through urine tests and normally they wait until the following week to sign her back even when everything has cleared.

I work full time and dont have access to care elsewhere. I understand if she has a constant temperature and is screaming the place down and if there are signs of a viral infection. But to be called out of work 3 times for a high temperature I am sure my employer is getting fed up.
Last week I had to pick her up on a Tuesday arvo due to temperature and the doc wouldn't sign her form til the Saturday for Monday return.
And then yesterday, Thursday, I am called out of work again for a temperature.  And now I have to try and get a sign off over the weekend!

Does anyone else wonder how this can be possible for working parents to keep up? I have no sick leave left and its putting me off baby number 2. If I could be a stay at home mum I would be, but I cant.

I think Childcare centers should look into having carers on call and isolation rooms. It's not convenient to risk losing my job, pay childcare for when my child isn't there and pay for multiple visits to doctors continuously until they sign the form.

#mumlife #SoDifficult

#2 hills mum bec

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

View Post150watson, on 24 August 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

I think Childcare centers should look into having carers on call and isolation rooms. It's not convenient to risk losing my job, pay childcare for when my child isn't there and pay for multiple visits to doctors continuously until they sign the form.

I don't think it would be convenient for childcare centres to have to fund one on one care for sick children plus have the available space to do this.  How can that be sustainable?

I think haven't to get a doctor's clearance to return to care for every single sickness is a bit over the top.  Is your DH taking time off to care for sick kids too?

#3 José

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

i think your idea of an isolation room is completely impractical.  for many reasons.  how many rooms would they need to build? what if they get full? if a child really is ill they are better cared for at home or need a dr consult rather than being placed in an isolation room. not to mention the cost.

i also find your centres current need for a dr sign off to be pretty impractical. do other centres have that requirement?

#4 lozoodle

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

Its just part of daycare unfortunately - its within policy to be sent home due to fever and not return for at least 24 hours usually. Winter is tough, I feel for you - been there :(

As for isolation rooms - would never be practical. Sick kids are miserable and need one on one care, they'd have to have more staff, all sorts of insurances to cover having them in isolation while there and goodness knows what else. How will those costs be covered? With a massive hike in fees.

There needs to be some give and take, sick kids need to be kept at home unfortunately. BUT I do agree that the sign off forms for something like a random fever and cold like virus a bit steep. Is it for everyone? Or is it just for the repeat offenders?

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:27 AM

Our daycare is fine with kids who are bit snotty or have a bit of a cough (so a mild cold). Fever or a child who is obviously not feeling well means a pick up and stay home until no fever and feeling like playing again. No doctors forms luckily! I haven’t had to pick DS up yet, but he’s missed quite a few days from illness.

Your GP sounds a bit over the top. I can understand urine tests if there is no obvious cause of the fever, but if the child has a respiratory infection I wouldn’t expect urine tests. Does your daycare have guidelines on when to keep home?

#6 seayork2002

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

I presume you would be happy to pay extra for the staff for the isolation room?

Sick kids should not be at day care BUT if I could not send my son to day care with a runny nose (for example) he would have been off day care for a year when he first went.

There is a difference between 'sickness' and just a runny nose type illness

But if you want an isolation room then the parents will wear the costs (if practical at all anyway)

#7 laridae

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

We only need to get a doctor sign off if we want to return before the exclusion period.  Sign off for every illness is ridiculous.

If you want isolation, you may need to pay for a nanny. Childcare centres aren't going to cater for that.

#8 MGB

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Our centre will phone for kids to be picked up if they have a temperature. A cough and runny nose, they don’t. The place would be deserted otherwise. I’d ask to see their policy regarding exclusion periods and illness.

It’s hard,I know. Is your partner able to take time off?

#9 Bird1

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

I’m sorry your child is sick and you want someone else to care for them so that you can continue to work. Most sick children want to be with parents not with carers. Maybe you should look at getting a nanny so you don’t have to have anytime off for illness.

#10 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostBird1, on 24 August 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

I’m sorry your child is sick and you want someone else to care for them so that you can continue to work. Most sick children want to be with parents not with carers. Maybe you should look at getting a nanny so you don’t have to have anytime off for illness.

The OP doesn’t want someone else to care for them so she CAN work, she’s got not sick leave left so is running out of options. When you are working part time it’s often easier, as they are often over the illness before they get back to daycare (eg DS goes Monday and Tuesday, he came down with a fever Tuesday night, this morning the fever is gone and he’s happy and playing again, he’ll be right to go on Monday). Full time is hard.

Agree OP’s DH needs to be having equal time off caring for the baby.

#11 halcyondays

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

Needing a doctors form to sign off to return is ridiculous. Sure have an exclusion 24 hrs after fever or vomit, but every illness needing a doctor review?
If you can, find another doctor who will sign off earlier.
Fantastic use of government Medicare funding- daycare should pay for their own doctor to do reentry to daycare clearance, not the general public.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

That level of doctor sign off is extreme and impractical. I'd be looking for a new daycare.

#13 Hollycoddle

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

I wonder if they might accept a sign-off from a chemist, since they can issue medical certificates now?  I know that giving someone the all-clear is different to being able to certify that they are sick but it may be worth looking into.

Agree it's extreme, children can have high fevers for numerous reasons ie. teething, tiredness etc.  Mine would often be a bit off colour returning to daycare on a Monday after the excitement of a trip away over a weekend.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 24 August 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#14 red_squirrel

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

Why does she have so many fevers?

There must be something up. You don’t get a fever unless it is a symptom of an illness or there is an infection somewhere.

#15 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostBird1, on 24 August 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

Harsh. The OP said her child is not sick and most people can’t afford to have a nanny. I’m sure her child would like to be with her parents. I’m also sure she’d like to have food to eat and a roof over her head.

OP, I’m sorry your childcare centre is making it so difficult. Are there any other childcare places nearby that might work better for you? I’d start looking around.

#16 Lou-bags

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

A couple of fevers isn’t much for a baby in childcare. My DS2 (nearly 2) often gets a fever with a mild to moderate respiratory infection.

OP your daycare and your GP are both being over the top and unreasonable. I’d be seeking to replace both, personally.

In the meantime I’d query the policy with management. At our childcare on occasion the carers have incorrectly applied policies, and it may be that individual carers are being overzealous

#17 RochelleRochelle

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

The centre is making the sign-off process overly onerous. In 2.5 years if childcare I’ve only been asked to provide a medical clearance twice, once for suspected HFM and once for suspected chicken pox. On both occasions it turned out to be a non-specific viral rash and she was fine to return once the spots cleared - my dr gave us a letter to that effect. My childcare’s policy seems to be pretty common sense; they require medical clearance for things that would always prompt a drs visit in any case. I’d be asking for a copy of your centre’s policy in writing, possibly with a view to discussing it further with your doctor.

#18 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

Their policy sounds a bit extreme, but i think it might have come around because people have been dropping off obviously sick kids without a second glance.

As for how people hold down a job - I have no idea, our solution was to budget like crazy so I could stay home, but I know that doesn't work for a lot of people.

In saying that we would have had to make it work last year, our youngest was literally sick for 5 months straight with one virus after another (all respiratory), if I'd had him in daycare he probably would have made it only a handful of days in that time.

#19 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

View Post150watson, on 24 August 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

Being winter out kids are forever snotty and coughing. When I drop my 9mth old at childcare, they are all the same.

. But to be called out of work 3 times for a high temperature I am sure my employer is getting fed up.
Last week I had to pick her up on a Tuesday arvo due to temperature and the doc wouldn't sign her form til the Saturday for Monday return.

#mumlife #SoDifficult

I am sure you are finding the care difficult but you have a baby frequently running a high fever , what else do you expect staff to do,

Your child is in care, not in a hospital.
Staff are trained to educate not as medics.
Fevers in babies can be very serious and when staff are looking after your baby then who is looking after the other children.

I know it is frustrating having to leave work.
You're right children aren't convenient.
But consider for a moment the view of your child who just wants to be home safe with someone who loves her when she's ill.
I think it a bit sad you want to outsource that actually. You say she is genuinely ill and yet you still don't want to come and pick her up..
For what it is worth i think the form is over the top. But if I had a child in may care frequently running fevers and returning to care and getting sick I would want a doctor to confirm there wasn't an underlying problem.

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

IME centres only ask for these things or make these policies when they have parents who keep sending kids with temps and/or sick.

Last year we got a note sent home that if a child got a temp and was sent home that day and returned the next day and a temp arose again they would need a clearance and not be allowed to return for 24 hours

#21 FeelingcLucky

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:15 PM

OP I would speak directly with the centre about this policy and clarify it. It does sound extreme. Have you looked into FD or a nanny as other care options?

Also, is your DDs father not able to take time off to get her so your not always the one missing work?

As a side note, the mum guilt in this thread is gross.

Edited by FeelingcLucky, 24 August 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#22 Twinkie12

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

I second the idea of finding new daycare that isn’t so precious.

As an employer, it becomes old fast when your employees have daycare making over the top demands which affect your business.

#23 Prancer is coming

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

I work part time and always feel guilty when I have time off work for sick kids.  But I get a med cert so I cover off HR requirements and my workplace know it is legitimate.  Whilst your workplace might be annoyed you are not there, they can’t really complain when you have evidence and your agreement allows time off for caring.  If I feel I have had a fair bit of time off, or I have something important on, DH will take the day off.

My childcare does not worry too much about snot and coughs, but would send a child with a fever home.  I agree it can be serious, And viral issues can easily be picked up by the other children.  I think sick needs do need more attention and a slower pace, which childcare cannot provide.

#24 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

DD gets fevers with every virus, even minor ones. When she was a baby in daycare that meant a lot of missed days. The underlying thing seems to be that her immune system responds to infection with high temperatures - 39 is pretty normal for her. At 4yo she rarely gets sick now, but fevers still feature. She also gets them from vaccinations.

In my experience frequent fevers with respiratory infections is not that concerning.

#25 Boticelli

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:37 PM

New day care and new doctor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.