Chocolate causing sore throat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowenas necklace

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:58 PM

Recently DD has said a few times that chocolate gives her a sore throat. She doesn't appear to have any other reaction to it.

I'll mention it to the GP (and obviously will be avoiding chocolate from now on), but does anyone have experience with this? Could it be a sign of allergy or intolerance?

#2 thebabysitter

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:06 AM

No idea if this is an allergy and definitely get it checked out but I wanted to say this happens to me. Especially with Easter egg chocolate for some reason. Always just been one of those things and I still can’t keep away from the chocolate. If you get an answer would love to know

#3 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:18 AM

I find sometimes chocolate feels like it sticks to my throat which can make me cough and is uncomfortable, so I tend to only eat it if I have a drink to help wash it down.  It’s not something that happens every time, and is generally only an issue if I eat chocolate when I am also thirsty, but not always.   It may not be relevant but perhaps this is what is happening to your DD?

#4 opethmum

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:18 AM

Chocolate can can reflux issues she may have a mild reaction to the cocoa bean or an additive to the chocolate in the manufacturing process. Have a word to the gp definitely to have her tested to those food groups. Ask her if you can if other foods cause her to have the same reaction in her throat and make her feel the same way.

Good luck.

#5 Banana Pancakes

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:27 AM

I get mouth ulcers every year at Easter after eating Easter eggs.
My grandmother gets migraines from chocolate.

I think its a definite possibility that your dd could have an intolerance.

#6 got my tinsel on

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:35 AM

Chocolate makes me sneeze within minutes of eating it.  Not one sneeze, but many (up to about 10) over the next 30 minutes or so.

Only chocolate, not chocolate flavouring (such as chocolate milk, ice-cream topping etc).

There is no eating a chocolate on the sly for me.  My family know exactly what I've been up to.

#7 Rowenas necklace

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:25 AM

View Postfancie shmancie, on 28 August 2018 - 12:35 AM, said:

Chocolate makes me sneeze within minutes of eating it.  Not one sneeze, but many (up to about 10) over the next 30 minutes or so.

Only chocolate, not chocolate flavouring (such as chocolate milk, ice-cream topping etc).

There is no eating a chocolate on the sly for me.  My family know exactly what I've been up to.

This made me chuckle! Interesting too, because she's been having babyccinos and the occasional milkshake with no issues.

The reaction is enough now that she's actively avoiding chocolate things, which makes me wonder if it's getting worse.

Thanks for all the feedback - you've helped me clarify my thoughts

#8 Crap Napper

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

I get a sore throat from chocolate too. Usually not from one piece, but more like 3+ pieces. I've  had this for at least 5 years,  maybe more.  I've never been able to find out why, but it's definitely a "thing" for me.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.