Party bags

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 abbyminnie

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Just interested.. at what age did you stop giving out party bags?

I’ve got DD2’s 8th birthday party coming up and am struggling to think of not-too-expensive bags that aren’t filled with plastic things that will only end up in the bin after a few hours!

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

Mine are always high quality sugar hits. No plastic junk.

Given out at 8/10yo parties.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 28 August 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#3 Grrrumbles

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

I did party bags this year for DS8 but really basic. KMart have printed paper party bags. I put something to eat (I think a wrapped choc biscuit), an animal nose, some stickers and a scented mechanical pencil. I also got together all the random leftover superhero favours from previous years and added them to the bags. I expect this will be the last year for such stuff and my youngest is a girly girl so I wanted to clear the stocks.

I spent under $20 for the lot and minimal plastic. The scented pencils were a pack from KMart and are quite unisex so I can use leftovers easily.

#4 just roses

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

I prefer a single 'thing' now that my kids are older (11 and 8). DD went to a pajama party last year and all the kids got a novelty pillow from Kmart. Those pillows are really cute! And only cost $7. DD still has it and still loves it.

#5 a letter to Elise.

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

My son had his 9th birthday last weekend. We gave out a set of Pokemon cards and a couple of lollies, and the kids were all thrilled.

#6 DM. 2012

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

I don’t think 8 is too young for a party bag. Kmart have packs that have about 5 each of a little note book, pencil, rubber and possibly something else. I’ve bought that to include in a party bag before. Some, but not too many, decent quality lollies.

#7 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:01 PM

We are doing bags for Halloween again this year. The 14 & 19yr olds are looking forward to it.

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

I've tried to make it a Thing plus like one lolly. DS everyone got colour change bouncy putty and a mentos tube. DD's was a pamper party so everyone got a dressing gown and like nail polish and a bath bomb. It's gotten easier as they got older in that the parties are smaller so we could spend more per gift. When they were littler and the parties were large, I once did a Mr Men book and a mentos tube. One year bubble want and mentos. For some reason we go through a lot of mentos I now realise! I think it's because the tube doesn't require a bag.

#9 CCABW

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

Lollies and chocolate are good at any age :)

#10 chicken_bits

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 28 August 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

Mine are always high quality sugar hits. No plastic junk.

Given out at 8/10yo parties.

Absolutely this. Back in the 90s when I was a kid... party bags were only lollies/chocolate. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were called lolly bags, not party bags.

I think the plastic crap started coming in when the healthy eating fun police came along.

ETA: I get that for younger children, lollies aren't great. But when they're younger it's things like bubble wands and playdoh etc that are great.

Bring back the lolly bags. Especially for 8 yos!

Edited by chicken_bits, 28 August 2018 - 10:30 PM.

#11 abbyminnie

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:25 PM

Ok, I think I’m leaning towards doing lolly bags now.  I really don’t like all the plastic stuff.  My house is full of little pens, robbers, notepads etc that my DDs have accumulated from the parties they’ve been to and I’m sick of finding them everywhere!!

But at what age can we stop giving out party/lolly bags? Dd1’s 11th Birthday is in a few months - will I look like a cheapskate if I don’t do them?

#12 Sweet.Pea

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:10 AM

View Postabbyminnie, on 28 August 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

Ok, I think I’m leaning towards doing lolly bags now.  I really don’t like all the plastic stuff.  My house is full of little pens, robbers, notepads etc that my DDs have accumulated from the parties they’ve been to and I’m sick of finding them everywhere!!

But at what age can we stop giving out party/lolly bags? Dd1’s 11th Birthday is in a few months - will I look like a cheapskate if I don’t do them?

It depends what type of party they have I guess. If it's more sophisticated then I wouldn't- like a pamper party, I wouldn't worry about lolly bags.

But then, I would only put lollies/chocolate in there....why put the rubbish that's going to go in the bin or should be part of the pass the parcel game?

#13 Babetty

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

For the kids parties this year (6 and 9) I did a cull of all the good condition little things in the house and reused for party bags. So every bag had one thing - joke sunglasses, novelty erasers etc - and some chocolates and lollies. And a sheet of stickers.

I usually do one mini chocolate bar, one lollipop, one mini packet of gummy lollies and a few small wrapped lollies.

ETA for environmental reasons I will no longer buy plastic crap for party bags but will reuse what we have and when that runs out will buy pencils, fun erasers and other non-plastic things.

Edited by Babetty, 29 August 2018 - 06:46 AM.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

We do lolly bags, because like PPs I hate the little toys that get played with once then binned.

My family do lolly bags no matter what age. As you get older the lollies just become more adult. So a few Lindt balls and some roses chocolates in a classy bag instead of musk sticks and lolly snakes in a lolly bag wig balloons on it.

#15 Nasty Butterfly

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

Around that age we would always try and go for stuff they would use like lip balm, hair ties, little bath bombs etc. There is a great section at Kmart for it. We would then chuck a chocolate and and a chuppa chip in.

Now they are teens we do the same but it's face mask, body lotion etc still with a chocolate and a chuppa chup.

#16 klr75

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:24 AM

Rubber hand balls - were a huge hit with both boys and girls, otherwise lollies!

#17 ~J_F~

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

We either do something to fit with the theme.

So if a pamper party, it might be a face mask or lip balm or an eye mask. Something that will get used.

Last year we did an adopt a puppy (toy) party and everyone got to take the puppy, the collar and lead  and the kennel they made home with them.

For a bowling party we found a bowling rubber set.

I really like the PPs pillow idea.

Or just chocolate or lollies, its always a hit and it can be shared out

I dont put an age on party bags, my eldest is about to turn 15 and she still brings home party bags.

#18 SummerStar

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

We stopped giving party bags when they stopped having parties which is by the end of primary school. The things they do with friends from high school on are different so we havent done party bags for those.

#19 Fourteenyears

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

We didn't do party bags for our oldest' eleventh birthday (which was last year of primary school).  He said not to.

And maybe we set the trend, but he hasn't seen one since.   His cohort seem to see it as something that goes with little kids' parties and were fine with moving past it.

I still did them this year for my daughter's nineth but probably won't for her next party.

Edited by Twelveyears, 29 August 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#20 just roses

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:21 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 29 August 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

Last year we did an adopt a puppy (toy) party and everyone got to take the puppy, the collar and lead  and the kennel they made home with them.
I absolutely LOVE this idea! Definitely stealing it for DD's next birthday.

#21 seayork2002

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

I would stop when DS wanted me too

#22 AllyK81

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

We give an 'item'. We gave puzzles for DD birthday and dinosaur tails for DS last birthday.

I generally throw lolly bags in the bin as soon as we get home.

#23 Luci

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

View Postchicken_bits, on 28 August 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

Absolutely this. Back in the 90s when I was a kid... party bags were only lollies/chocolate. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were called lolly bags, not party bags.

I think the plastic crap started coming in when the healthy eating fun police came along.

ETA: I get that for younger children, lollies aren't great. But when they're younger it's things like bubble wands and playdoh etc that are great.

Bring back the lolly bags. Especially for 8 yos!

My eldest is now 13 and at the parties she attends they don't have lolly bags.  For my younger two kids I still make lolly bags which only contain lollies. My personal preference is no more "stuff" especially little plastic trinkets.  I usually make clear cellophane bags with a few unwrapped lollies inside, and maybe a lollipop. Tie with a bright ribbon. For really young children I make the bags fairly small.

#24 Elly_Bells

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

I have been to a few Under-5 parties where party bags haven't been given at all. It seems the more expensive the activity, the less likely they are to also give lolly bags (I'm fine with that!) So I don't think it's a given.

#25 Pearson

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

we gave out bags to DD's 8yo bday party just the other week.
small party, know all the kids well.
1 bouncy ball (they all play handball')
1 small water gun (we are in Brisbane, so it will be used!)
2 mentos (they all like mentos) individually wrapped
1 small smarties box
1 pencil with cute eraser attached
1 cute shaped postit notes.

All these things will be used or eaten, even if it is by mum and dad!

The pencils I got at the reject store, 12 for $7, they were the most expensive purchase of it all, but per item, was cheaper.
My kid hates jelly lollies, so they are wasted on her, same with lollipops, she gives them to her big brother.

I will probs give them at the next one(10), and that is it. And even then, it will probably be a "do" party, like build a bear, or something like that - and there will be the thing you do to take home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.