Party bags

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Chapvane

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

DS2  has just had 3 parties in a week!! One of those parties was his own 12th bday party. All 3 parties had lolly bags. The other 2 parties were 12th bdays as well.
I let my son choose the lollies/chocolates that went into the bags - usually I choose. I figured it would be his last year of lolly bags at a party he had.
I liked the idea of a useful cheap small gift in PP instead.

#27 paddington_

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

I would think party bags up to grade 5 or 6. Not high school.

I hate cheap plastic useless crap (looking at you Coles), so prefer them to be lollies/ chocolate, or no bag at all.

#28 Shapir0

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

I stopped doing party bags  couple of years ago- I hate the rubbish plastic landfill which is a 7 second treasure and then left lying around

My kids are now 7 and 12 and I'll put a few Freddos and other choccies in a platter that they can take on their way out.

The older kids don't care and are happy with the chocolates. The little ones will ask me if there are any lolly bags and I just say nope but there are chocolates to take home

#29 ~J_F~

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

View Postjust roses, on 29 August 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

I absolutely LOVE this idea! Definitely stealing it for DD's next birthday.

It was one of the best parties we have done..

Hit me up if you want any ideas :)

#30 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

View Postklr75, on 29 August 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Rubber hand balls - were a huge hit with both boys and girls, otherwise lollies!

Moving house I donated over 30 bouncy balls which had been received over the years (and this is after I had turffed heaps in my pre move culling).

#31 Nasty Butterfly

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

View Postklr75, on 29 August 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Rubber hand balls - were a huge hit with both boys and girls, otherwise lollies!

I read this as rubber band balls and was thinking "wow, you know weird kids that would be excited by rubber bands..." :rofl:

#32 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 29 August 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

Moving house I donated over 30 bouncy balls which had been received over the years (and this is after I had turffed heaps in my pre move culling).
We donated quite a few to the girls school when they were in primary. DD had organised and held a handball comp(with permission) and the kids got them as prizes.

#33 BeAwesome

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:49 PM

I was just about to post a similar question.

My daughter is turning 10, and having a bowling/karaoke party (inviting 8 girls and 2 boys).  I love the bath bomb/lip gloss idea, but not sure what to do for the boys.

#34 Ellie bean

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

View PostBeAwesome, on 29 August 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I was just about to post a similar question.

My daughter is turning 10, and having a bowling/karaoke party (inviting 8 girls and 2 boys).  I love the bath bomb/lip gloss idea, but not sure what to do for the boys.
I bet the boys would use a bath bomb

#35 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

i refused for the 21st!
probably about 16.

For the older ones I tried to minimise lollies.
I would put in a pencil or a glitter pen, lip balm or bath bomb.
Once woolworths were throwing out Jamie Oliver soup cups for 50c so I got a lot of those,
I agree girls are easier but pens, rubbers etc. Little cheap glider planes were good

#36 Babetty

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 29 August 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

I bet the boys would use a bath bomb

My DS loves bath bombs. Santa puts some in his stocking every year :)

You know, if we all stopped buying plastic party bag trinkets (so companies stop making them) and we kept re-using ones lurking around our houses in a perpetual party bag cycle, would the world ever run out?

#37 zeldazonk

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

I'm another who prefers a "thing" to a party bag. My kids are younger but I gave out wands for one party and puzzles for another.

My daughter went to a party that gave out those beanie toys - they were a big hit!

#38 Holly298

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

I usually theme our party bags ,5th was avengers so they all got a cape and mask ,  6th was Star Wars so they got a lightsaber, 7th emoji they got an emoji fidget spinner, For his 8 th we had a go karting party so our party bags had go kart LEGO pack and just a Mario kart Pez (for the adults (all my friends and family ) I do traditional party bags full of red skins, bananas, mini choccys , teeth and milkos !)

#39 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 29 August 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

We do lolly bags, because like PPs I hate the little toys that get played with once then binned.

My family do lolly bags no matter what age. As you get older the lollies just become more adult. So a few Lindt balls and some roses chocolates in a classy bag instead of musk sticks and lolly snakes in a lolly bag wig balloons on it.

Mmmm...musk sticks.

#40 sahmie

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:39 AM

Team Lolly bags here. It’s not your guests birthday, so you don’t need to send them home with a present.

#41 ~J_F~

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

View Postsahmie, on 30 August 2018 - 12:39 AM, said:

Team Lolly bags here. It’s not your guests birthday, so you don’t need to send them home with a present.

Which is not the reasoning behind party favours but anyway...

#42 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 30 August 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

Which is not the reasoning behind party favours but anyway...

What is the reasoning? i have never understood it. Even lolly bags, I like lolly bags, but don’t know why we do them.

#43 ~J_F~

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

It’s a small gift given in thanks of ones attendance and often as a memento of the occasion.

I personally think it’s a nice gesture. I never get why people get so irrated by them.

#44 laridae

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

Sometimes it is a present though. Especially if you are giving one larger item. Eg give everyone a beanie boo or a book - that could easily be a present to the birthday child from one guest. I think it's a bit odd to give something present sized for coming, and could be a bit awekward for a guest if they gave something similar.
We normally do a few lollies in a bag and a couple of novelties like a small pot of bubbles, hair clips and a sheet of stickers.

#45 seayork2002

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 30 August 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

It’s a small gift given in thanks of ones attendance and often as a memento of the occasion.

I personally think it’s a nice gesture. I never get why people get so irrated by them.

I have to admit I am not that intensely passionate about lolly/party bags. I would either have them or not and if my son goes to a party he either gets them or not, brings them home forgets about them then they disappear after a while.

do the system need to me so complicated?

#46 Chelara

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 30 August 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

What is the reasoning? i have never understood it. Even lolly bags, I like lolly bags, but don’t know why we do them.

It’s a great bribe for little ones who don’t want to leave the party otherwise!

#47 Babetty

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

View Postlaridae, on 30 August 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Sometimes it is a present though. Especially if you are giving one larger item. Eg give everyone a beanie boo or a book - that could easily be a present to the birthday child from one guest. I think it's a bit odd to give something present sized for coming, and could be a bit awekward for a guest if they gave something similar.
We normally do a few lollies in a bag and a couple of novelties like a small pot of bubbles, hair clips and a sheet of stickers.

Yes I lean towards this thinking too - it shouldn't be the equivalent of a present.

On a practical level, I love them as a signal the party is over and to get small kids out the door without tears.

#48 nup

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

I'm 40 and still love a party bag. Never too old.

#49 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostChelara, on 30 August 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

It’s a great bribe for little ones who don’t want to leave the party otherwise!

This has always been my theory!! Lol.

#50 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

View Postlaridae, on 30 August 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

We had the situation where our present given was the exact same as the “thanks for coming”.

Yes I did feel a little odd, but then reminded myself our present given was in line with standard present we give to children’s friends and the people throwing the party we significantly better off (verifiable information publicly available).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.