First cold, wont sleep help

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

DD just got her first cold at 10m and her sleep has gone to hell.

She usually does 2 naps plus goes down at 7pm - 7am.. and its now 9.30pm and she's still awake and screams any time we put her down.

DH has her in the stroller and is walking her up and down the hallway.

Normally we just put her down awake and she self settles...chats herself to sleep..

I have no idea how to get her sleeping more..shes waking up at 4 am ready for the day because she's over tired,  naps have been cut in half during the day and well 7pm bed time too.

Im doing baby Vicks on feet and chest, panadol, natural baby cough syrup , I have nose Frida and spray and have tried my best to decongest her , steamer is running.

What else can I do? she has no fever but is touching her face, putting her hands in her mouth and crying. I know she's also teething but I have a feeling this is due to the cold.

Please tell me this is normal and they go back to their usual self when better :pray:

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:35 PM

I'd be taking her to a doctor and getting her ears checked. Being really upset when being laid down can indicate an ear infection.

#3 Jenflea

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:39 PM

You could try propping the mattress up a bit so her head is elevated a bit. I used to put a flatish pillow under the cot mattress about 1/3 down the length.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:41 PM

Doesn’t hurt to visit the GP when they are that sick. Could be a painful ear ache. Could be hand foot and mouth. Try some nurofen as well.

But, it can be totally normal. I remember just having 2-3 days in a row of constantly holding a baby when they’re sick. They just will not be put down. It’s exhausting and younsecond guess everything.

Just remember. They will get better, it’s temporary, just survive the next few days.  Everything else can wait. Then go back to the routine and they should go back to sleeping again.

#5 red_squirrel

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

The others have given good advice but babies, kids and even adults don’t sleep as per normal when sick.

Her sleep will go back to normal when she is better.

In the meantime it will be a rough trot of sleeping when she is comfortable which unfortunately often means up more at night.

It will only be rough for a short while. Hang in there.

#6 rosie28

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:49 PM

If she doesn’t want to lie down she may have an ear infection, they cause much more pain when lying down. I’d take her to the GP and get her ears checked (nurofen for tonight if you haven’t already, it’s always worked better for ear infections around here).

#7 Lou-bags

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:07 PM

You’ve had an amazing run to make it to 10mo before the first cold! (Which is completely unhelpful I know, I’m just a bit amazed TBH- it was 7wks with DS1 and DS2 was 11 days old when he got his first cold).

Anyway, what you’re describing sounds typical to me. It is SO hard. DS2 had one every second week last winter and I wondered if he’d ever sleep more than 45 min to an hour in a row again at times.

For my kids, the stuffy nose laying down was the biggest problem for sleep with colds as babies. Does yours have a dummy? This seems to make it worse (if DS2 is anything to go by), as then they can’t easily mouth breathe when there nose blocks up).

How many days has it been now? IME you should see improvements after 3 nights or so for a bad cold. Hang in there, it truly is awful but will pass. Just do whatever you have to do to get through.

#8 red_squirrel

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

I also wanted to add, do not hesitate taking a young child to the doctor just to check things like ears. They can’t talk and tell you. The doc will not be annoyed.

I once took DS to accident and emergency because of weird symptoms at about 11 months. They said they never ever dismiss a kid under 1 year because parents know their kids and know when something is wrong.

#9 PandoBox

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

Thanks everyone.

We ended up being up till 4 am , she would cry whenever put down flat and refused to lay down next to me, or on me, or fall asleep in the pram.

I ended up taking her to the hospital and the doctor said her ear was a little red but that other then that nothing. He prescribed antibiotics anyway and said watch and see. She fell asleep on the way home in the car and slept from 5-7 and then woke up bouncing and happy like nothing had happened :omg:

She's following schedule today and I have no idea how when she was up all night. :sick:

I have another app today for a second opinion.

Edited by PandoBox, 03 September 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#10 PandoBox

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

Omg. This is not sustainable.

She's been cleared by the doctor as fine and only having a cold and we are teething but the teething isn't new.

Yesterday all day she followed her usual schedule for naps. She refused to sleep any longer which I was hoping she would do to catch up but no. She was all happy and playful. Ate normal.  She did choke on her own snot once and vomited but
continued to eat.

Im using all the hints and tricks before bed and during the day...panadol, nose Frida, fess baby nose spray, steamed bath before bed, Vicks on feet with socks on, vaporiser, chicken soup with her dinner ETC

Last night down at 7 no problems (awake placed into bed).

Woke at 9.30pm again hysterical. Screaming till she runs out of breath hysterical. The only thing that calms her down is getting her out of bed and UP, not staying in the dark room with her trying to resettle her. She twists her whole body refusing to become comfortable on me , by me, anywhere in the dark room...but calms down if we walk out of the room into the living room and sit down with some light on. She will calm down but have every few mins a whinge and stop.  If I lay her down in that same room with light on she cries hysterically again.

We were up till 12.30 am.. at 12.30 am in the living room pure exhaustion took over and she somehow half fell asleep sitting down and I took her to bed and she fell asleep..but was up again a 2.30 am and 4.30 am crying ..was able to resettle her in the bedroom somehow. She was up for the day at 7 :sick:

I don't know whats wrong with her. Could a cold and teething really cause this much of a response?

This baby only cries like this when she's in pain and ive only seen this cry previously when teething. Panadol before bed and teething gel always did the trick.....with all 4 teeth so why is this one tooth different.

I know very well what she does when she protests. She will scream, yell etc. but she wont cry this emotional hurting cry so I have no freaking idea whats up.

The only thing I can put it down is this cold being worse at night but I'm shocked because its completely unlike her.  

We are starting to feel very. tired.

#11 Caribou

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:37 AM

Could the cold be unrelated and bad timing and she’s infact going through a sleep regression?

Both my kids had sleep Regressions around this age and it was a week or two of bad sleeping.

#12 Caribou

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

Here’s some info on sleep regressions http://sleeptightcon...essions-handle/

#13 Daffy2016

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:58 AM

This may not be comforting, but... DD has been through some shocking sleep patterns in the last 6 months. She's now 11 months.

She's had a continuous string of colds, and her sleep is usually disturbed for a few days after. Just when she's getting better - bam, another cold and we start again.

We also went through a really bad patch at about 10.5 months, when she had a cold plus her front tooth coming in. Thankfully she's just starting to settle again, but who knows how long it will last.

We've pretty much given up for now and are just feeding back to sleep when we can. All we can do - if there's no other issues - is try to get through it.

Good luck, OP! Try to ride it out and hopefully she'll sort herself out soon.

#14 PandoBox

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

Thanks ladies

Ive read the sleep regression stuff and none of it is adding up. I really wish it was because then id know. DD goes down for bed fine , awake in her cot...same for naps..but from the dream feed onwards, there is no sleep. She's fine to be placed in her cot and me walking away and she will lay there chatting (during the day and prior to this)

During this time of hysteria DD also refuses the bottle. This is why I'm thinking its cold/mouth related possibly. She wakes around the time for her dream feed...and now instead of taking the feed she does what I described above.

I guess ill wait and see. I always get anxious when I can't figure out whats wrong :no2:

#15 Ellie bean

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

I’d be checking again for ear infection. With ds the go could t see evidence of ear infection until a few days after symptoms (something about not being able to see into his narrow ear canals) but I was always right.

#16 Caribou

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

View PostPandoBox, on 04 September 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Thanks ladies

Ive read the sleep regression stuff and none of it is adding up. I really wish it was because then id know. DD goes down for bed fine , awake in her cot...same for naps..but from the dream feed onwards, there is no sleep. She's fine to be placed in her cot and me walking away and she will lay there chatting (during the day and prior to this)

During this time of hysteria DD also refuses the bottle. This is why I'm thinking its cold/mouth related possibly. She wakes around the time for her dream feed...and now instead of taking the feed she does what I described above.

I guess ill wait and see. I always get anxious when I can't figure out whats wrong :no2:

Sorry you’re feeling anxious about this. DS and DD always went to bed fine, but would be up and down all night during regressions.

There’s no hard and fast rule about how regression acts. It’s simply kids not sleeping great at the time.

Hopefully she’ll be back to sleeping in no time. Barring any potentional ear infections, I’d prep yourself for a few more unsettled nights, drinks, food, spare bed in DDs room, a movie to watch untilshes ready to sleep again. If you’re struggling, pop a port acot in lounge room with your DD in it, watch some tv and she’s somewhere safe until she’s ready to go back to sleep.

#17 Bono25

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

Have you tried neurofen instead of panadol? I always found panadol to be useless for teething

#18 Ellie bean

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostBono25, on 04 September 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Have you tried neurofen instead of panadol? I always found panadol to be useless for teething
I found giving both at once good

#19 froglett

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

Was just going to say... if it's an ear infection, panadol never used to touch the sides for my kids. It had to be nurofen and panadol (you can cycle them).

Sounds to me like an ear infection, compounded with being over tired.

I'd try nurofen + panadol and a slightly earlier bed time for a few nights and see if that makes a difference...

It's hard when they're so upset :(

#20 PandoBox

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 04 September 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

I found giving both at once good

Ive tried both..tried alternating  them too

Im starting to suspect that there may be an ear infection as a problem even though two doctors dismissed me. I feel uneasy about going with my gut when two doctors dismissed it. Another sign is that it must hurt her to swallow when she's waking somewhere because she's refusing her dream feed and generally doesn't fall asleep until she feels she can have that feed..last night it was midnight , the night before it was 4am

Surely congestion alone can't create that sort of a reaction...

I have a strong gut feeling she is in pain of some sort. I know what she's like when she's complaining/ wants something because she doesn't want to sleep.. This is inconsolable screaming type crying...but again only at night.

I have her down for nap 2 at the moment and she was complaining like she normally does for a moment, but not that scream from last night..and out she went.

PS thank you so much for everyones advice, it has been incredibly helpful to hear everyones opinion/thoughts.

Edited by PandoBox, 04 September 2018 - 01:21 PM.

#21 PandoBox

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

For anyone interested.. it got better...shes still fussier then normal at night..but sleeping through thank god.  No ear infection. I think she was just scared /clingy due to being congested at night. I had no idea a cold could have such an effect.

Edited by PandoBox, 06 September 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#22 Lou-bags

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:15 PM

It does leave you questioning everything, I know, but moderate to bad colds were just like you describe with my DSs. I think it’s easy to underestimate the distress congestion can cause a bewildered, tired baby woken from sleep through being unable to breathe well. Then they can’t even suck feed to soothe themselves and it all spirals out of control.

Glad things are improving, hang in there x

Edited by Lou-bags, 06 September 2018 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.