Receptive language 11mo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daffy2016

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

Hi all

Sorry for the long post.

DD is 11mo, nearly 12 months. I have some concerns about her receptive language, and looking for a guide on what's 'normal' (if there is such a thing). I have her 12 month check up soon, so will also ask the MACH nurse then.

DD is very talkative, babbles a lot, makes lots of different vowel and consonant sounds. Her favourite sound is dad, and variants on dad - he is her primary carer. She also says mum sometimes.

She responds to her name maybe half the time. It will take us two or three goes to get her attention, particularly if she's engrossed in a toy or something else.

She sometimes follows instructions like 'come to mummy/daddy'. But she doesn't know names for items, even if we name them for her and then immediately ask her to look at them/find them. These are simple items like her bear or blocks. If asked 'where's mummy/daddy' she will look towards us most of the time -  daddy has a higher strike rate than mummy!

She'll assist us in getting dressed, and put her arms through sleeves (usually when asked, but mostly by rote). She can't point to her nose or any other body parts, though.

She will follow us when we point, is very affectionate and cuddly, loves people, communicates her feelings (makes noises when hungry, rubs eyes when tired, claps when happy etc).

Some of the books and articles I've read seem to indicate she should be more advanced than she is, particularly in terms of pointing or gesturing to items named. We speak and read to her all the time but I'm not sure how much she takes in, iykwim.

Sorry for the essay! Just trying to get a feel of where she might be... and should probably stop worrying!

Edited by Daffy2016, 04 September 2018 - 10:53 AM.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

I am the first to say I am no expert and I have to be honest but I am not sure what the problem is?

Sorry I do not have any links I will leave others to do this but we knew our son did not have any hearing problems just let him speak when he wanted too, I was not aware there was more to it???

#3 Caribou

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

She sounds positively delightful! I’m also not seeing anything that raises alarm or concern. Babies have a rather wide range of when they meet milestones, so any books that suggest she should be doing this NOW. Throw it out. No amount of anxiety is worth that.

Of course, always raise concerns with your MCHN and GP, but ultimately, she Sounds very much like she’s developmentally fine for her age.

#4 Daffy2016

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:28 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 04 September 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

I am the first to say I am no expert and I have to be honest but I am not sure what the problem is?

Sorry I do not have any links I will leave others to do this but we knew our son did not have any hearing problems just let him speak when he wanted too, I was not aware there was more to it???

I guess I'm saying that I feel she doesn't really understand when we communicate with her, but goes okay the other way (if that makes sense). I'm trying to get a feel for what is average for her age in terms of understanding what we say.

#5 sarahec

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:28 AM

I wouldn’t worry at this point. You could always start with hearing test but what you have described sounds normal.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostDaffy2016, on 04 September 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

I guess I'm saying that I feel she doesn't really understand when we communicate with her, but goes okay the other way (if that makes sense). I'm trying to get a feel for what is average for her age in terms of understanding what we say.

I can only say that this was not a concern for me when our son was 11 months old as I assumed at 11 months they don't understand much - again I am no expert!

#7 AdelTwins

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

Sounds just like DS3 (12mo). He will reach out to be picked up or indicate that he wants my food. He will point to our dog and some stars we have. He says mum and dad and woof. I’m not entirely sure he knows his older brother’s names.

#8 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

I don't see any flags at this point, but anyone with any concerns at all should always get a hearing test and try this screening app.

I am the first to say 'if in doubt, check it out', but right now I'd try the app in a month just in case, and keep watch. If you still have concerns in 4 or 5 months, that's the time to get ready to investigate.

http://asdetect.org/what-is-asdetect/

#9 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

You didn't mention anything about eye contact.  Does she make eye contact with you to 'share' something? Does she do it if she wants you to 'fix' something? Or is she not really into it?

The app has videos that will show you 'typical' eye contact and 'not typical' eye contact, so see what you think.

#10 Fourteenyears

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

https://www.speechpa...Milestones.aspx

Have a look at the milestones in the above document - from Speech Pathology Australia.   There aren't that many of them because 12 months is still very young!

If you are worried, of course see someone.   Meanwhile keep singing, talking and playing interactive games like peek a boo and the like with your baby and it is highly likely that you will see more understanding and some spoken words emerging quite quickly.  They learn and change on a week to week basis at that age!

#11 Daffy2016

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Twelveyears. Looking at that sheet, she responds to her name maybe half the time. She knows me and her dad but I don’t think she knows the names of any other objects... maybe the cat?

She does wave hello and goodbye if we prompt her. She copies sounds and babbles.

Chaotic Pogo, I think her eye contact is okay. I think maybe she does more than I think she does because I’m not looking for it, if you know what I mean.

I think perhaps I have unrealistic expectations.. I’m not sure where the wonder weeks app got some of their ‘things I might be doing’ stuff but it doesn’t seem realistic!

Edited by Daffy2016, 04 September 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#12 Fourteenyears

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

I think most kids under about three can get way too distracted by play to respond to their name every time.  

When they say 10 words they also mean the words you might use for/during bathtime, mealtimes, bedtimes, hello, goodbye etc, not just identifying objects.    

Also, they may well know an objects name but not know what you mean by 'where is' or 'get the...'.

Probably the most important thing at that age is that they are getting quality input.   And the most significant red flags would be if they don't appear to be hearing you (even a minor hearing loss you don't know about can affect language development), and if they don't appear to wish to engage with you.

Eye-to-face contact (so not necessarily staring you in the eyes, but wanting to look at your face), pointing, following your pointing, demonstrating anticipation/following routines, engaging in very early turn taking games (eg, copying clapping, anticipating in peek a boo etc), are some of the things you'd like to be seeing at this age.

Edited by Twelveyears, 04 September 2018 - 07:22 PM.

#13 PandoBox

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 04 September 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

Thanks Twelveyears. Looking at that sheet, she responds to her name maybe half the time. She knows me and her dad but I don’t think she knows the names of any other objects... maybe the cat?

She does wave hello and goodbye if we prompt her. She copies sounds and babbles.

Chaotic Pogo, I think her eye contact is okay. I think maybe she does more than I think she does because I’m not looking for it, if you know what I mean.

I think perhaps I have unrealistic expectations.. I’m not sure where the wonder weeks app got some of their ‘things I might be doing’ stuff but it doesn’t seem realistic!

Don't worry about the wonder weeks ap..it says what baby might be doing..all babies will focus on different skills etc.
She is probably doing a lot of things ahead of her age that you havent realised or spotted.

My DD is 10m and she sounds like your DD.

#14 newmumandexcited

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

I have three kids and she sounds very typical to me. All around the same at that age.

#15 Daffy2016

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.