Homeschoolers - to start preschool or not?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 linen_and_lace

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

Looking for some thoughts from others...

We have just started thinking/talking about the possibility of homeschooling our DD. She will be 3 in November, so eligible to start preschool next year (NSW).

Before we started talking about homeschooling, we visited a couple of preschools and quite liked the local Montessori.

Now that we are thinking about potentially homeschooling, we're not sure whether to send her to preschool at all. I think she'd benefit greatly from the social aspect of preschool, and to be honest, with the hopes of adding to our family next year, I'd probably enjoy the break.

But is it worth starting her off in a system that we're leaning towards opting out of?

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

#2 Ozquoll

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

At that age, they’re basically playing all day - I’d send her. Give yourself a break, and see how your daughter goes in a large group of fellow three-year-olds (I’m assuming she hasn’t been in any sort of care before.)

I say this as someone who hasn’t home-schooled but is friendly to the concept and may well end up home-schooling my little one 🙂

#3 linen_and_lace

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Ozquoll. That's right, she hasn't been in any care before.

#4 MooGuru

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

I know 3 home schoolers. 2 of them said with hindsight they should have started preschool for their youngest as they would have learnt some things about their children that way (in both cases older siblings were being home schooled so they went with automatic home schooling and no pre school for the younger sibling but the youngest were very much social butterflies. 1 ended up at school at about 8yrs old and loves it, older siblings still happily home schooled. The other family fyos is next year and they are trying to figure out what to do and said preschool would've helped make the decision easier. They are trying to get her in this term still and the child is really pushing it (they walk past a preschool and school regularly and she wants to go in and play each time).
The last family the child went to preschool and enjoyed it but some warning signs became apparent that maybe school wasn't the best fit. He was withdrawn midway through fyos to home school.

If you go and it isn't a good fit you can always take her out again.

#5 Jenflea

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

Preschool is amazing.

It teaches them so much on the social aspect of childhood, they get to do messy craft NOT IN YOUR HOUSE and it gives you a lovely break from them.

#6 LittleMissPink

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

I'd give it a go and she how it goes. You are still planning to homeschool anyway, so it wont make much difference, apart from taking a load off for a while :)

It doesnt have to be all or nothing :)

#7 ERipley

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:58 PM

I would try it. You might find she thrives in that sort of envy and change your mind about homeschooling anyway. That’s not a judgement. I really admire people who can do homeschooling well. Different kids respond to different things so it would be worth experimenting to find what works best for her.

#8 ERipley

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Envy and = environment. 🙄

#9 just roses

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

I’d give it a go. You might find that you end up with a varied approach to homeschooling. My friend who homeschools has had a couple years where her son has gone to school on a sort of ad hoc basis. With an accommodating school, it’s possible. And as PP said, you will learn things about your daughter from having her in a preschool environment that will be very valuable. And she’ll have fun too!

#10 linen_and_lace

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I think I am leaning towards sending her - good to know others can see the benefit of doing so even if we do end up homeschooling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.