can you over feed a baby?!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mary S

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:06 PM

Our LO, 9 months, eats sooo much! Is it possible to overfeed a baby? I thought they were not capable of over eating, like us adults!
I am still nursing about 5-6 times a day, he eats 3 meals a day, sometimes has an extra fruit snack.

He can literally eat a massive cereal bowl of mashed veggies, and when I take him out of his high chair, he gets all upset. but his stomach is so rounded and he has eaten so much!

he isn't really having water, but nursing inbetween meals and overnight. is this 'normal'?!

#2 MrsP2014

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

nah they'll stop when they are done, or in my toddlers case have a good spew and be fine.

at this age they don't have emotional connections to food like we do like they don't eat out of guilt or other emotions so to speak.

#3 Mooples

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

Is he having many filling foods like meat, eggs, baked beans. I would offer something like that with every meal to fill his little tummy and give water with food too.

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

No, my son was eating heaps at that age. I wondered where he put it all.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:45 PM

Give him some protein with each meal to help him to feel full for longer. eg eggs, meat, baked beans, legumes. Maybe a little bit of fat like cheese, greek yoghurt or something like that too to help satisfy him.

#6 c.sanders

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:14 PM

Sounds normal

#7 opethmum

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:11 AM

Very normal.

I would increase the snacks in the day, it sounds like you need to increase it given the amount of nursing still occurring. It does not have to be a full on meal but enough to keep them happy.

Add some complex carbs low gi and protein so he is feeling fuller for longer, add a bottle of water/EBM at each feed to keep hydrated. If you still want to breastfeed then do so.

#8 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

View Postopethmum, on 10 September 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

Very normal.

I would increase the snacks in the day, it sounds like you need to increase it given the amount of nursing still occurring. It does not have to be a full on meal but enough to keep them happy.

Add some complex carbs low gi and protein so he is feeling fuller for longer, add a bottle of water/EBM at each feed to keep hydrated. If you still want to breastfeed then do so.

Huh??

Breastmilk or formula should be the major source of nutrition until 12 months. Why is the number of breastfeeds an issue? It’s nutrient dense and still should be forming a good proportion of the babies intake.  

OP your baby sounds fine.

#9 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

As BB said - he is eating for taste and experience until 12 months.
Calories should be from breastfeeding.

So if he appears hungry perhaps increase the times you feed him,

#10 Caribou

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:07 AM

I was still nursing my DS about 12 times a day with food at 9mths. By the time he was 1, he pretty much dropped to 4-5 feeds a day and now he’s 16mths, we’re doing 2 feeds a day plus food.

Your baby sounds fine.

#11 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

I’d also consider starting to introduce some finger foods rather than just purée.
And protein- meat or eggs or vegetable based.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

View Postopethmum, on 10 September 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

Very normal.

Did you miss the age opethmum ?

At 9 months some of my babies were still feeding 5-6 times a night......let alone day time meals.

#13 Pooks Combusted

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

Some babies are just hungry. DS was like this for some time. He benefitted from “heavier” foods like egg, meat, baked beans, custards, porridge to give him the sense of fullness along with fruit and veg. That milk intake sounds about right.

#14 Magnolia2

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

I made a call to the local maternal health phone line on this exact issue a few months ago! DS would cry whenever I stopped feeding him, no matter the volume of food he'd consumed. And I am talking vast quantities of food - bowls of shepherds' pie, vast amounts of yoghurt, sandwiches (plural). I was advised to increase the amount of hand-held foods as it made the baby "work harder" for the food and to stop eating when genuinely full.

Well .... that advice made absolutely no difference to our situation. Our kid still eats like a full grown adult, and he's one. And in perfect health etc etc. I don't know where he puts it TBH... he doesn't have the gorgeous soft rolls of baby skin he used to have either!?

I know it's only anecdata but I seriously wouldn't worry about it. I've been warned actually that kids become more picky as time goes on, so just to enjoy this period when they eat everything offered and with gusto!

#15 ButterflyNow

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

Mine was the same at that age OP. Could eat everything and no impact on how much milk he took.
The one time he ate to much, it came back up.
Try use this time to expose them to different flavors and textures before the pickiness starts.

#16 Mary S

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

thank you for the replies!

I haven't started meat yet. What age did you start introducing meat?

He now has some more teeth so am looking at trying him on some finger foods. He has some nasty gaggin and choking last time so I pulled back for a bit. Might be time to try again.

They grow so fast, it sounds like he is doing fine from comments above, so will keep cruising along too!

#17 GettingBusier

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

I found with my 3 garbage guts kids that the finger food helped me tell when they were full. They would keep opening their mouth for purée, but would stop trying to pick up food when they were full so I would stop the purée then too.

We have started on meat with DS (7 months), he has no teeth but gives it a good suck/gnaw

#18 Jenflea

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

Give him a lamb cutlet to gnaw on and gum. Or strips of cooked meat.

My Dd liked pate on toast too. There's no reason he can't eat meat now.

#19 Mooples

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

I have a 7 month old who loves meat, it's the first thing he goes for on the plate. He can't really chew it but enjoys sucking on it. Lamb cutlets, strips of beef/chicken/lamb, slow cooked meat that falls apart in his mouth, deli meats (ham/chicken/turkey) sliced up. I know the gagging is scary but if they are loud it means they are ok, it's their way of getting used to new textures. If he goes quiet, that is more of an indicator something isn't right. Choking and gagging are different and one is just them learning to eat. Finger foods are so good for their development.

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:37 PM

I don't think so.

My little man was eating similar huge quantities of food at that age. Actually he's only just slowed down now at 2.5 years.

Unless he is eating to the point of throwing up vast quantities of food I'd just let him go.

I think mine were on purée versions of our normal meals by about 7 months, so I would feed bubs dinner early, the  when we sat down they got a plate of finger foods as they liked to be with us when we ate as well.

#21 Kafkaesque

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostMary S, on 10 September 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

thank you for the replies!

I haven't started meat yet. What age did you start introducing meat?

He now has some more teeth so am looking at trying him on some finger foods. He has some nasty gaggin and choking last time so I pulled back for a bit. Might be time to try again.

They grow so fast, it sounds like he is doing fine from comments above, so will keep cruising along too!

Meats should be introduced right from the start. Puréed initially as with other foods. By 9 months he should be eating a wide range of textures and be on a mashed consistency with finger foods as well.

I agree with the others as far as quantity it sounds alright.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:40 PM

I think it's pretty common at that age, and up to two, to 'wonder where they put it'.  I suspect that's the very reason many parents of two, three year olds feel like their toddlers are living on thin air, as their appetite reduces.

My niece used to burst into tears as the spoon hit the bottom of the bowl.

#23 Summer81

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

Nope. My DS2 was the same. He's still the same at 3.5- he's a bottomless pit and eats on average probably every hour. He's tall and skinny and super active. He eats twice as much as me most days!

#24 premmie

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

Go with it, offer rich protein like eggs, fresh fish, meat or lentils, along with the fruit and vegies. Having a child who eats everything is a huge blessing!. In theory the main calorie source should be formula or breast milk till age one. Continue to breastfeed as long as your happy to do so. Your baby loves all food by the sounds of it. How awesome is that!

#25 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

I know this post is a couple of weeks old, but OP, don't worry. I was worried about the amount that DS ate. Even on breastmilk, he was 10kg by 6mo. Then we started solids and he ate so much and still had lots of BM.

He is two tomorrow and he still breastfeeds between twice and 5 times a day. Plus he eats like he's never been fed. Childcare said that he is their best eater. It is nothing for him to have 4 serves! They actually cut him off hahaha There have been a few times where I've cut him off because I was worried he'd be sick, but he never has been. He's now trimmed right down and has no toddler belly and is very muscley. He NEVER is still, even in his sleep! I used to worry about it, because he would never indicate he was full. But now I know that he will if he doesn't want it. Most of my mothers group friends are in awe that he eats so much and loves fruit and veggies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.