Terrible Kindy photos - would you say something?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 knottygirl

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:17 PM

Dd goes to a community Kindy for preschool. In keeping with their community vibe I suppose, rather than hiring a professional photographer to take the Kindy photos, they got a Mum to do them. Mind you, still cost $20 so not exactly way cheaper than I pay for big kids photos ($30 -$35 and I get more photos and a download link).  

The parents werent given an option, or asked who we would like to do it. It was just told to us, this mum is taking them.  

So the photos were taken in May. We got them back this week. So it’s been 4 months.  

And, they are terrible. One child looking at the ground, smaller kids in second row half hidden because someone bigger is in front. My dd has glasses and in both the group and her individual photo there is a huge big reflection on the lenses.

I get that it was done by a volunteer, though not completely voluntary as printing wouldn’t cost $20, so she was paid for some of her time. But if I’d been given a choice I would have said get a professional in. Surely it’s basic photography to not get reflections on glasses? Even if they had to do her individual photo inside. And having kids hidden behind bigger kids is something they have control over. Getting everyone looking and smiling can understand, but placement is something that they should get right.

I want to let the Kindy know that I’m unhappy. Ideally would like at the very least, her individual photo retaken. But also so the Kindy know for future years, don’t just let the first Mum that puts her hand up take the photos.

#2 Jenflea

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:28 PM

I'd say something.

And I'd not be happy it wasn't a professional person taking them seeing as they cost money.

Ours this year in primary were pretty bad, kids with food on faces, collars not neat, the odd scowl. And that was done by professionals! I made comment to the teacher that they were a bit slack, she passed it on.

DD's ...smile...(if you can call it that) at least will be funny on her 18th!

#3 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

So you've already paid before you could see the photo? Then yes I would say something.

Our child care photos this year were not great.  The cheapest option was to purchase was $55! At least I got to see it beforehand  and didn't have to buy it.

#4 knottygirl

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:40 PM

Yep we paid before they were taken. It was just an envelope to put cash in, which was paid before the photos were taken.

I do get your point looking back and laughing at funny photos. But reflections on her glasses is not her pulling a weird expression or anything.

#5 Esseffaz

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:44 PM

I'd definitely say something.

#6 gettin my fance on

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:48 PM

Yep, I would be telling the centre, take the photos in and show them.

When DD was in pre-school (3yo) her photos (group and individual were beautifully shot by a professional.

The next year she was sick on the photo day and so missed out.  Her pre-school teacher took it upon herself to take a photo of DD and printed at her own cost (wouldn't take any money) and gave it as a gift to us.  While not quite as professional as the previous year taken by professionals, it was pretty bloody close.  And that was 15 years ago.

#7 sarahec

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:50 PM

Yes I would say something.
And does it really cost $20 to print a few photos? I would want my money back but not of the volunteer lost money.

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:53 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 10 September 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

Yep we paid before they were taken. It was just an envelope to put cash in, which was paid before the photos were taken.

Yeah in that case I'd say something. Our daycare changed to a really crap photographer from the good one they had, but at least we get to see the photos before paying, so I just haven't bought them for the last couple of years. The ones the daycarers take for her progress book are better than the professional ones. But that's fine because I don't have to pay.

If you've had to pay for rubbish photos, I'd say something.

And just as a tangent because I'm still sore about it, DD's daycare 'graduation' photo complete with gown and cap was taken by one of their staff who had a photography sideline, for like $10. I'm still resentful that her $10 'graduation' photo is SO SO much better than my like $100 REAL uni graduation photo. WTF universe!

#9 knottygirl

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:55 PM

Well I’m assuming the rest of the money would cover her time taking the photos. So not really a volunteer. She volunteered to be paid to take the photos.

I’ve looked at her page she does seem like she takes nice photos. Prob just over her head taking the group photos. But the reflection, I just can’t get that.

#10 knottygirl

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:56 PM

We don’t get to do graduation photos. The community Kindy doesn’t believe in it 🙄

#11 Riotproof

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 10 September 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

We don’t get to do graduation photos. The community Kindy doesn’t believe in it

Tbf, they are just aging out of a system, not graduating anything.

#12 sarahec

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

In that case, ask for a refund!

#13 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:16 PM

View Postknottygirl, on 10 September 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

We don’t get to do graduation photos. The community Kindy doesn’t believe in it

That's probably good. I found the little graduation outfits a bit offensive originally. I had to work for my graduation outfit!
But once I saw the photo I was swayed a little... it was pretty cute...

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:26 PM

Our kindy photos this year were woeful and I think enough people complained that they’ll get a better photographer next year. At least we were lucky to get truly beautiful photos of DS at kindy last year.

#15 nom_de_plume

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:33 AM

Our kinder photos this year were also terrible. It was disappointing but I just didn’t buy any.

The photographer they used the year before got some really lovely shots.

#16 Thylacine

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:02 AM

Ours were taken by a professional and DS has a shiny ribbon of snot in almost every photo. Would it really have been so hard to ask him to wipe his nose?

#17 Prancer is coming

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:25 AM

We have to pay upfront for the kid’s school photos, but if you are not happy with the photos you can request a refund.  I suppose the photographer is pretty confident about his work and he does a fantastic job.

If you had to buy up front, I would complain.  If not, I would not buy and would pass on feedback.  Was she actually paid, or was the school using it as a fundraiser?

Some of our child carers did a photography course, so there were always lovely pics taken of our kids in their portfolio and as Christmas presents.  Our centre is not for profit, so did not have to pay anything!

#18 BadCat

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:35 AM

We had a volunteer do the photos for my son's pre-school year.  She only charged costs.  And they are the most beautiful school photos we've ever had, by a country mile.

But yeah, if the school paid a volunteer who then did crappy pics I'd say something if only so they didn't do it again next time.

#19 SummerStar

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:35 AM

View Postknottygirl, on 10 September 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Well I’m assuming the rest of the money would cover her time taking the photos. So not really a volunteer. She volunteered to be paid to take the photos.

I’ve looked at her page she does seem like she takes nice photos. Prob just over her head taking the group photos. But the reflection, I just can’t get that.

I would have assumed the cost would cover the printing of the photos and then the rest as a "fund raising" donation to the kindy. That would my my first thought.

School photographers used by our schools usually offer a refund if not happy so it would be worth asking, personally for $20 I'd not bother but I might mention they should use a professional next time. Owning a DSLR does not make someone a professional photographer but it seems like a thing many people still do.

#20 JomoMum

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

Of our sons individual photo came back with reflection on his glasses, I would definitely be saying something.

Regardless of whether or not they preschool paid her for her time, you still had to pay for the product.

#21 knottygirl

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:47 AM

View PostSummerStar, on 11 September 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

I would have assumed the cost would cover the printing of the photos and then the rest as a "fund raising" donation to the kindy. That would my my first thought.

School photographers used by our schools usually offer a refund if not happy so it would be worth asking, personally for $20 I'd not bother but I might mention they should use a professional next time. Owning a DSLR does not make someone a professional photographer but it seems like a thing many people still do.

The Kindy charge a fund raising levy, so they aren’t allowed to fundraise any more.

#22 SummerStar

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

View Postknottygirl, on 11 September 2018 - 06:47 AM, said:

The Kindy charge a fund raising levy, so they aren’t allowed to fundraise any more.

Well donation then. Not saying they did, just would have been my first thought.

Edited by SummerStar, 11 September 2018 - 06:56 AM.

#23 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

lol we didn't have official photos at childcare except the one year where DD screamed the whole time - she was 3...

I can understand being upset at paying for something sub-par, but in perspective the ability to get pre school age children to conform isn't always in the realms of possibility...

The reflection in glasses thing could have been worked on the computer a bit for you, though.

Edited by Sancti-claws, 11 September 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#24 -Carpe Diem-

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:09 AM

We had to pay upfront for our daycare photos . $55 was the cheapest option.
Got DS’s pic back and it was horrible . Almost every child’s individual shot was bad.
So many people asked for a refund that they’re doing a reshot for free .

If I was you I would say something . $20 for a photo means she was getting paid for her time

#25 yummymummycakes

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

DD didnt go to kindy so our Prep photos were going to be pretty special to us.

We got the order form and paid $45 (6 years ago) waited & waited & waited.

Other parents stated they already had theirs so we were wondering was what going on.

Long story short - she was having a bad day that day so photographer wasnt happy with the photos, came back a 2nd, 3rd & 4th day - photographer still not happy.

On the 5th day he came back and took her outside (with aide) and they were playing and he got the most beautiful shot of her. Absolutely stunning - she looked calm & happy and he had taken liberty of photo shopping a massive bruise which was in the middle of her head (making her look like cyclops) out. Even sent a personal note apologising for the delay but stating that he takes pride in his work and that he wanted us to be happy with her first 'professional' photos.

School has used the same company every year now. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.