Terrible Kindy photos - would you say something?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

As an EC professional I avoid the parent thing. Even if they are brilliant there will always be on out of the 100 kids who has a bad day and I don't need the grief.
Most people in centres choose their photographer very seriously, so I would provide feedback.
You may find the staff don't want it either and welcome the chance to change.

As for graduation - YUCK! Don't do it at all.
Yes the kids look 'cute'. But as this stage of education is important, I am not about 'cute'.
Graduation happens at higher levels and doesn't have much relevance for 4 and 5 year olds.

#27 Hands Up

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

View Postknottygirl, on 10 September 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

We don’t get to do graduation photos. The community Kindy doesn’t believe in it 🙄

Good. Graduating from Kindy? Ridiculous concept.

#28 Sentient Puddle

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

View Postsarahec, on 10 September 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Yes I would say something.
And does it really cost $20 to print a few photos? I would want my money back but not of the volunteer lost money.

Yes it does if you are not doing it at Kmart!

#29 Luci

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

If the photos were free it would be different - but when you have to pay for something you expect at least at reasonable standard.

Personally I would not worry about or expect a refund, but if you get a chance I think it is worth mentioning the matter to the Centre Director so that she is aware of it for next time.

#30 AllyK81

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

I would mention it to the Director for next year.

But I wouldn’t ask for a refund personally. It’s only $20 and I wouldn’t want to offend the photographer. Photographing kids is hard!

#31 Mollycoddle

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:47 AM

Yes I didn't get them done last year, the previous year they had my two boys standing up against what looked like just a blank wall, not even with the nice backdrop and lighting they usually use.  The shot wasn't composed nicely at all, they just showed from the waist up but didn't prop up the little one to bring his head more level with the bigger one.  I could have done it better myself at home.  With ours you pay on the day they're taken so no chance to preview before buying.

I would definitely ask for a refund.  They should have gotten someone experienced in doing these types of group shots, it's not as simple as just being able to take pretty pictures.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 11 September 2018 - 09:50 AM.

#32 Tokra

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

I think you should say something. If people don't say something then the daycare centre might think people are happy with the photographer.

I'm a bit shocked at the reaction to daycare / kinder graduation though!

Going into 'big school' is a huge deal and leaving daycare/kinder, which is generally so flexible, and moving into school is a big jump. It's just something fun to make the kids feel special.

#33 Jane Jetson

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

View Postknottygirl, on 10 September 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

My dd has glasses and in both the group and her individual photo there is a huge big reflection on the lenses.

Ugh. As someone who got my first pair of glasses around the time I started walking, and spent the 80s in massive Coke-bottles, this is an absolute bugbear of mine.

If this woman wants to work as a photographer, she is going to have to learn to manage glasses reflection, because there's quite a few kids wearing them and she's going to annoy or upset a lot of those kids and parents in the future. So I'd absolutely say something and explain exactly why you're unhappy.

(Btw not that she'll read this but as a general grumble, the way to manage kids in glasses is not to use your brightest flash but insist the kid buries their chin in their neck in order to tilt the glasses downwards... you'd think given improvements in tech since the 80s this or great big reflections wouldn't be an issue any more...)

#34 Jenflea

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Preschoolers in gowns and mortar boards is ridiculous.

You don't wear those for primary grads or even high school grads, only uni grads so 4 yr olds 'graduating' preschool is silly. It was a year of playing and doing craft, not actually studying and sitting exams etc.

#35 AliasMater

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:24 PM

View PostJenflea, on 11 September 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Preschoolers in gowns and mortar boards is ridiculous.

You don't wear those for primary grads or even high school grads, only uni grads so 4 yr olds 'graduating' preschool is silly. It was a year of playing and doing craft, not actually studying and sitting exams etc.

The uni I went to merged with the TAFE. My grad presentation went for over 3 hours before of all the Certificate I, II, III, and IIII's presented to TAFE students, all wearing full gowns and mortar boards. It really was ridiculous.

I wouldn't say anything OP, and I wouldn't ask for a refund either. It is a lot of effort for the sake of $20. I can see why people would, but it just wouldn't make it to the top of my very long to do list.

#36 trillian42

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Or, for centres that do it, preschoolers graduating (yes, in gowns and mortarboards) can be a nice way to mark the transition from a place where many children have spent four years of their lives, made friends and bonded with educators.

I didn’t tell the educators at my kids’ centre that the efforts they put in to have an end of year concert, graduation and acknowledgement of every child were ‘silly’ - I thanked them profusely.

Anyway, another EB thread digressing to criticism of random things someone doesn’t like - as you were.

#37 notsoretro

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

The nicest photo I have of my oldest son is his preschool graduation photo in red cap and gown, I don't get the hate either. One of the Mum's at our playgroup repurposed a little red riding hood cape she had made by tucking in the hood.  She gave me the remaining fabric and I made a matching mortar board.  We did graduation photos for the kids leaving to go to school, everyone loved them

Edited by notsoretro, 07 October 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#38 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:33 PM

Best photo of my childhood is my Kindergarten Graduation (with cap and gown) in 1974.

Way better than the "professional" ones that my mum got done of all of us (by a family friend)

#39 knottygirl

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:55 PM

I don’t want a refund, I want a Kindy photo! I don’t think I’ll bother getting her to retake. I have a friend who takes photos she offered to get one of her. I don’t care if she’s pulling a weird face I just want one without a reflection on her glasses.  

I will mention to the director, so at least they know for future year to get a professional person in and not just let anyone have a go at it.

She does do nice photos but seems like mostly newborn ones, babies wrapped up and flower headbands ect. A world away from 25 4 year olds.

#40 JomoMum

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:21 AM

View Posttrillian42, on 11 September 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

Or, for centres that do it, preschoolers graduating (yes, in gowns and mortarboards) can be a nice way to mark the transition from a place where many children have spent four years of their lives, made friends and bonded with educators.

I didn’t tell the educators at my kids’ centre that the efforts they put in to have an end of year concert, graduation and acknowledgement of every child were ‘silly’ - I thanked them profusely.

Anyway, another EB thread digressing to criticism of random things someone doesn’t like - as you were.

Agree agree agree.

So long as my 4 year old then doesn’t expect a ceremony at every milestone in his life, such as sleeping through the night in undies without wetting the bed, I don’t see the harm in it, since he is my child.

And my reasonable efforts at parenting should be able to avoid that.

#41 Sancti-claws

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:49 AM

View PostFomoJnr, on 12 September 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

Agree agree agree.

So long as my 4 year old then doesn’t expect a ceremony at every milestone in his life, such as sleeping through the night in undies without wetting the bed, I don’t see the harm in it, since he is my child.

And my reasonable efforts at parenting should be able to avoid that.
Oh come on - you don't do the traditional golden underpants presentation with photos?

If done well, there is a bubbly trophy for support crew in it...

#42 chicken_bits

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostThylacine, on 11 September 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

Ours were taken by a professional and DS has a shiny ribbon of snot in almost every photo. Would it really have been so hard to ask him to wipe his nose?

Or photoshop if they didn't notice!

#43 FEdeRAL

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

Had to google what a mortarboard is.

Pfft...I didn’t even get to wear it when graduating from uni. Only the postgrads (master degrees) got to wear it.

But yeah OP - I would say something. Ours used a pretty average “professional”. $15 for group photos. And we got to see it before paying. When I suggested that the kinder look for another I was told that the company actually donated between $100-$150 back. For a small community kinder that is a lot of money. For the volunteering Mum to be charging $20? I wouldn’t call it volunteering at all.

#44 notsoretro

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostFEdeRAL, on 07 October 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

Had to google what a mortarboard is.

Pfft...I didn’t even get to wear it when graduating from uni. Only the postgrads (master degrees) got to wear it.

I honestly don't know how I knew it was called that, my tertiary education so far has been a typing certificate from TAFE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.