Repeat C-section due to thin uterus

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EJ86

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

Had an emergency c-section with first baby two year ago, currently 39 weeks with second. Had been experiencing pain on the right side of scar for a few days, especially on movement and switching from side to side in bed. My OB has looked at the uterus in that area on the machine and deemed it very thin where baby’s head is pressing. She has recommended a repeat c-section, and soon (by end of this week), effectively ending my planned VBAC hopes. I was quite upset at this news, and because she was rushed for time, I didn’t have much chance to process it before being told to go home and rest. I guess my questions are: wouldn’t the thin uterus have been picked up on earlier, or has it honestly just thinned down recently? And given the OB said she could be wrong and I could possibly go through with a VBAC but because of what she sees on the US and what I’m feeling, she can’t agree to let me go down this path with risks vs benefits, do I just trust this and let her put me onto the elective list for this week? I’m just feeling quite emotional about this and was alone at my appointment and didn’t feel able to process it.

Edited by EJ86, 11 September 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#2 just roses

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:43 PM

I'm sorry this isn't the news you wanted, but in your shoes I would be opting for an elective as soon as possible. It would not be worth the risk to me.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

Your uterus thins as you progress through your pregnancy so it would not necessarily have been picked up earlier.

I am sorry your VBAC plans seemed to have gone out the window but I would take heed of your doctor's advice.

Perhaps ask for him to double check and see if he comes up with the same findings ?

You do not want to go into a VBAC with a uterus that is thin on U/S. :(

#4 Luci

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

I am sorry OP that your plans have fallen apart and I know that it can be pretty stressful and upsetting when something pregnancy related suddenly changes without warning.

I have had 3 c-sections. The third one was booked for 6 days before my due date. About 10 days before my due date I had an appointment with my OB, she sent me for an urgent ultrasound as she was concerned the baby had stopped growing. The ultrasound confirmed that the baby was ok but my uterus was very thin at the site of my previous scar. My OB told me that it would have probably started off ok, but as my pregnancy progressed and my uterus stretched and got larger it had become progressively thinner.

I don't have any medical training and I don't normally recommend people research medical stuff on Dr Google but at the time I did a bit of research and reading just for my own information and from what I read it really sounded like something I would be taking seriously and I was relieved that I only had another couple of days until my c-section date.

#5 c.sanders

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:36 PM

The fact that you are feeling pain makes me feel like its not worth the risk. Much better a planned C-section compared to an emergency one. Especially if you have a toddler at home.

#6 AdelTwins

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

I would not risk my future fertility or the life of my child (and myself) for the chance of a VBAC.

No-one asks/cares what you had after your kids are about 5 yo.

#7 ~ Ohana~

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:15 PM

Sorry that the dr was rushed and didn't talk through it thoroughly with you. I am very pro vaginal birth, but in this situation I wouldn't hesitate to have a c-section. Good luck x

#8 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:12 AM

I  sorry you're going through this. I'd wanted a vbac too but dd and my cervix had other plans.

A thinner than expected uterus is an increased risk due to the risk of the uterus tearing and then its one of those emergency c sections that really, really are an emergency.

I'm just guessing here but I'd think its possible for it to have thinned recently, as time baby has dropped down.

If it were me I'd probably opt for the planned c section.

It's ok to be sad about things not going to plan, especially so last minute.

#9 **Xena**

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:50 AM

I'm really sorry you don't get to have a vbac. My friend had her baby rupture her uterus though and it was awful (though luckily both survived). If it helps a planned c-section is a lot nicer than an emergency one. My first was an emergency (Labor not progressing after induction) and my other 4 have been planned. The planned ones were quite relaxing, the spinal block was better and I felt pretty good the whole way through and after. I got my baby straight away for skin to skin and fed them in recovery :)

#10 EJ86

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

Thank you for all your replies - it’s helped to calm down the mind a bit and be able to process this with a bit more perspective. I’ve been booked for a c-section this Friday and I’m focusing on being able to meet my baby. Thank you again.

#11 **Xena**

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

Good luck, I'm glad you're feeling more positive x

#12 Lallalla

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

I’m sorry your vbac plans fell apart, especially so close to the finish line. On the plus side, everyone I have ever spoken to in the emergency then planned c-section boat (I even asked on here, because my vbac plans were dashed very early, and got a uniform result), including myself, has found they recovered way faster from their planned c-section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.