Obstetrician private/public gaps & how do you choose?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gLAMBella

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:51 PM

Hey ladies, looking for advice please

I am 8+2 and Doctor has sent me off to make some decisions on Obstetrician and where I want to have my baby. I only moved to Adelaide 6 years ago and my other children were born in the UK so I am totally lost in what decisions I have to make and what to do.
What is the difference with private/public?
I reckon my closest hospital is Flinders
I have private health any recommendations?
Obstetrician is required as I will be classed as gestationally diabetic given previous pregnancy history.

Any advice greatly appreciated

#2 just roses

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

You’ll still see an OB in the public system, it just won’t necessarily be the same one. But in private your OB may not deliver your baby anyway, unless you have a planned C section or induction. Private usually means private room, but it can depend on the hospital.

#3 gLAMBella

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:23 PM

Yeah doctor gave me a shortlist of names and a number for the public OB referral. I am just trying to work out the pros and cons of each option. OB delivering baby is different for me too. I saw consultant in UK or one of their team throughout but delivery was labour ward with midwives. Not consultant...

#4 Jingleflea

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

Do you have PHI?
If you don't, you will need to go public. You still have the pregnancy managed properly, just not the same OB every visit and at the delivery.

#5 Lallalla

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

My understanding is that even wth PHI there is a substantial gap to pay if you go private.

I went public as a high risk patient (twins), didn’t pay a cent, got good medical care. I did see a different doc on every appointment though. Luckily I had a very competent student midwife with me and she helped with the continuity of care thing. I have since learnt you can ask to have a midwife too at that hospital. But i’d do that way again even without midwife.

I have a friend who went private once and public once, both high risk, both at same hospital as me (it has a public ward and a private ward but only 1 birth suite). She commented that the only difference was the room was nicer when went private but she saved $10,000 going public. I am not too sure how flippant that number was. Edited to add, said friend apparently had top level private health insurance.

I would think it depends mainly on how you feel about having different obstetricians and how big the gap would be.

Edited by Lallalla, 24 September 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

I have no experience with Aus system here as my son was born in the UK (I am Australian though) but if I was pregnant here now i would go public.

#7 blackcat20

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

View PostLallalla, on 24 September 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

My understanding is that even wth PHI there is a substantial gap to pay if you go private.

Not necessarily. Theres usually a management fee for the pregnancy, but cost for the hospital comes down to your policy and OB. I've chosen one who is no-gap for delivery, so my only expense there will be the excess.

#8 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

You can absolutely go public if you have Gestational Diabetes. I have GD and and seeing a great diabetes team through my public hospital in Melb. Im being managed by midwife only care at the moment and will only need to see an OB if GD can't be controlled

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:28 AM

To go to my nearest hospital i would be a private patient in a public hospital.

The only reason for me to go private in a public was higher chance of a private room (still not guaranteed!)  still having to pay the OB management and delivery fees (some have 2 figures some the delivery fee is included in management fee), i think you can go private without getting your own OB - but check with the hospital.

The real reason i wanted an OB was to have continuity of care (being an IVF pregnancy, and having a scan each visit is very reassuring.

I then decided to go to a private hospital in the end, and get the (maybe only perceived) bells and whistles, but things like double bed for DP to stay, all meals for both included, guaranteed private room etc etc.

#10 Jingleflea

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

I was private and had GD but the nutritionist and all the diabetes stuff was done at the local public hospital. So even going public the GD will be managed exactly the same way as private.

#11 gLAMBella

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

Thanks ladies. I do have private health insurance, I am lucky enough to have top Bupa hospital & extras. On the website I can see OBs and there are $0-$1000 gap options. I have just booked my 12 week screening scan and it’s been 8 years since my last pregnancy and in a different country so everything is different I feel a bit lost/overwhelmed with what I am doing.

#12 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:32 PM

Given you are 8 weeks you might have to call around and see who you can stil get into. My last OB was booked out by 5 weeks

#13 blackcat20

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

View PostgLAMBella, on 24 September 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Thanks ladies. I do have private health insurance, I am lucky enough to have top Bupa hospital & extras. On the website I can see OBs and there are $0-$1000 gap options. I have just booked my 12 week screening scan and it’s been 8 years since my last pregnancy and in a different country so everything is different I feel a bit lost/overwhelmed with what I am doing.

I found some aren’t listed by bupa but are still no gap.

#14 gLAMBella

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

View Postblackcat20, on 24 September 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

I found some aren’t listed by bupa but are still no gap.

Oh really, How do I find that kinda info please?

#15 gLAMBella

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostWinterberry, on 24 September 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

Given you are 8 weeks you might have to call around and see who you can stil get into. My last OB was booked out by 5 weeks

Wow that’s a scary thought. This pregnancy is straight after a miscarriage and my doc kept putting me off testing. Only had early scan after we had the test and bloods. Don’t really know how I could organise much earlier... I am hoping Adelaide is not so busy OB booking wise, my miscarriage was a big shock (never knew I was pregnant) v traumatic and very costly being on holiday when it happened and the nearest hospital being a private ER

#16 blackcat20

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

View PostgLAMBella, on 24 September 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Oh really, How do I find that kinda info please?

You just have to contact them. Most hospitals have a list of OBS that deliver there, just pick a few and call or email them.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

All my daughters have found the management fees for using a private obstetrician to be the greatest financial outlay with PHI covering almost all hospital costs.

#18 just roses

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 24 September 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

All my daughters have found the management fees for using a private obstetrician to be the greatest financial outlay with PHI covering almost all hospital costs.
This was my experience.

I had no gap for the birth, paid a management fee of about $1600 and excess for the bed of $500?So $2100 all up.

#19 ditch

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

I am in adelaide and lost as to what to do as well. I am now 6 weeks and my last pregnancy was 14 years ago! I went through Womens and Childrens Midwifery Group Practise the first time and it was incredible. I saw the same midwife the entire time, had a water birth and in a beautiful suite and she managed my first 6 weeks post birth care also. I have just booked an OB appointment with Nicola Denton who pratices in north adelaide but delivers at womens and childrens as well. i am hoping i can see her for the first 20 weeks with appointments and scans then transfer to MGP again.

#20 Teah

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

If you have health insurance then i would go private. Depending what obgyn you pick then that will decide what hopstital you deliver at. This is because your doctor will only deliver at a select few hospitals.
Public system is great too just means that you dont choose your obgyn.

If you need advice on obgyn then i can help. Theres lots of good ones in adelaide.

You should be fine getting into a private ob at this stage.

#21 Amica

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

I have had top cover private health every pregnancy, but chose to go public every pregnancy and I am not sorry.

Despite the comments here, I have always seen the same ob from go to woe each pregnancy.

#22 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

Keep in mind that with GD, it may not just be the OB you are paying for. You may have out of pocket Endo visits, especially you end up on insulin (and the acceptable levels have dropped dramatically in the last few years.)

I had GD and went through public and it cost me nothing. I had a GD team including an endo, an Ob, a diabetic educator etc. I have friends who went through private and had GD and were paying $300-$400 per endo visit. Also here in Canberra we have models when you can have continuity of care even through public. Though I certainly wouldn't be counting on it. So many stories of people where their OB or midwife was on holidays or just finished a long shift and couldn't attend their birth.

#23 taters

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

I went private for ny first and will be during my current pregnancy as well. I really liked my OB and she was great during  the birth. The hospital here is so beautiful and the nurses and midwives were amazing.

It cost me a lot though. We have top bupa cover. There was no gap at the hospital just our excess. We had the management fee of $2550 and then we had to pay $300 for each appointment with my OB.

All up I think we were out of pocket about $4000. It was so worth it for the experience I had.

#24 MrsP2014

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

im too high risk for Midwifery group, and didnt want to have to explain everything every appointment (long complicated medical/caridology history). we chose private and it meant that the one person knew us well.

im pregnant with #2 and we will be going private again.

#25 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

I had excellent care in the SA public hospital system for my previous 2 pregnancies. I will be happily going public again this time (as I don't have PHI anyway).
The one thing I will mention is that I experienced very long wait times (3 hours not uncommon) for my midwife appts at a public hospital. Others who have had a baby more recently may be able to tell you if things have improved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.