What was labour like third time around?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Summer81

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

I'm 34 weeks with #3 and approaching birth wondering what it might be like and what it's been like for others.

As background, #1 was 1 week overdue spontaneous, 18 or so hours, posterior, epidural, syntocinin drip with some tearing. #2 was 2 weeks early, less than an hour and out within 2 pushes- we nearly didn't make it to the hospital. I'm definitely wondering what third time will be like given the first two were so vastly different!

Edited by Summer81, 24 September 2018 - 10:10 PM.

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Mine was uneventful. Not long drawn out posterior like #1, not super fast under an hour like #2, but 2 weeks early and about like 7/8 hours labour.

I think sometimes the gap between kids can have an impact - like your body remembers how to do it quicker. My gap was 4 years - I think shorter gaps can mean shorter labours sometimes.

#3 Summer81

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:01 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 24 September 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Mine was uneventful. Not long drawn out posterior like #1, not super fast under an hour like #2, but 2 weeks early and about like 7/8 hours labour.

I think sometimes the gap between kids can have an impact - like your body remembers how to do it quicker. My gap was 4 years - I think shorter gaps can mean shorter labours sometimes.

Thanks for that. Maybe it'll be a little bit of both then! Just trying to post the rest of what I wrote but EB won't let me for some reason and has cut off half of what I wrote!

Sounds like our labours were very similar!

Edited by Summer81, 24 September 2018 - 10:02 PM.

#4 Summer81

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:02 PM

Dammit I'm not sure why EB won't let me post the rest of what I wrote!

#2 labour 2 weeks early, less than an hour and only just made it to hospital in time. Just wondering what others experienced third time around- my two were so different!

Edited by Summer81, 24 September 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#5 ~J_WTF~

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

Induced at 38ish weeks due to size. Nothing much happened in the first 18 hours of the induction then ban and she popped out after 45 minutes of active labour.

Very glad they induced to size, she was bigger than they had predicted her to be at birth...

#6 bakesgirls

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:06 PM

My third practically fell out after a 3 hour labour. My second stage was under 2 minutes.

#7 Summer81

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:15 PM

View PostSummer81, on 24 September 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

Thanks for that. Maybe it'll be a little bit of both then! Just trying to post the rest of what I wrote but EB won't let me for some reason and has cut off half of what I wrote!

Sounds like our labours were very similar! I'll also have an almost 4 year gap.

#8 amdirel

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

View Postbakesgirls, on 24 September 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

My third practically fell out after a 3 hour labour. My second stage was under 2 minutes.

Lol yep, my third baby fell out too, quite literally. I went to 'go to the toilet' while the midwife was out of the room, as she hadn't been letting me go (for a reason, as it turned out!). She saw me there, grabbed a pillow, physically pulled me up off the toilet, and out baby came on the pillow while I was standing next to the loo!

#9 Kallie88

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

#1 induced 40+4, 8 hour labor from water being broken, nearly 5 hours since labor
#2 induced 39 weeks, 3 hours active labor
#3 spontaneous 39+1, 3 and a half hours from water breaking to birth

#10 lozoodle

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

It was intense but super fast! After on again off again show and plug loss for a few days my waters broke just after midnight. Nothing happened until about 1.30 am and I was about to go to sleep and then check in with hospital again at 8am, but then contractions started and at 2am it was intense and we headed to hospital. Got checked at 3.20 am and was 6 cm so decided to get up and have a shower, suddenly felt the urge to push and she was born just after 3.30 am (in the shower).

#11 Summer81

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

Hearing these accounts makes me glad we're close to the hospital! Don't really fancy having #3 at home!

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

I have had 5 vaginal births in as many years and the shortest labour was 9 hours..

My transition/second stage to delivery from #2 to #5 was less than 20 minutes, it was only the first stage that was lengthy.

How long your labour is depends much on how well prepared your cervix is and how well the presenting part is positioned so therefore it is not necessarily going to be a shorter labour for subsequent babies.........they are almost always shorter than first babies though ( thank goodness )

Good luck OP. Most people make it to hospital in good time no matter what baby it is.

#13 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

My first was spontaneous labour with seaters breaking at 5.30am, contraction started at 6am, 8hr 40 minute labour, pushed for 2hrs 49 minutes. Prosterier failed vontuse, failed forceps, vontuse delivery with him needing to go to scn as the vontuse took a bit of his scalp off.
2nd baby induced with broken waters at 10pm, sintocine drip on the highest straight away. Born at 1.25am after 25minutes pushing.
3rd baby spontaneous contractions started at 7ish am went in at 11am. Midwife was saying she thought I was in very early labour and was shocked at 5/6cms. Was 10cms at 1 with bulging waters. Had waters broken at 4.30 and went back to 8cms but contractions ramped up and my 2 other kids got picked up from the hospital at 5.30 and I delivered at 6.07pm after 25minutes pushing. Midwife thought I was unable to relax with the kids there but had no option until dh work mate offered to come get them. Pretty much the minute he left my body started pushing! It was my longest labour but I felt I coped better with it.

#14 premmie

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

My first was pretty textbook and uneventful. Second was born in under 90 minutes, we made it to hospital with minutes to spare. So for my third I worried all pregnancy about having to give birth alone at home etc etc. There was a 4.5 year gap.

In the end that decision was out of my hands because I went into hospital at term with reduced foetal movements. The decided to induce immediately. They broke my waters at 2am. Nothing happened. At 7am they put in a drip at lose dose. Turned it up at 7.45am and he was born at 8.25am.

#15 maryanneK

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

I loved my 3rd labour - by far the easiest and best of the 3.

My first two were very long and slow so the 3rd felt fast to me.
Made it to the hospital with 2 hours to spare but contractions were every 60 seconds by then
The thing that surprised me with the 3rd labour was how quickly the 1st stage of labour went. At 8 am I was having the odd twinge, I thought it might have been pre-labour or gone on like that for a few days. By 10am they were regular, every 10- 15 mins. By 11 am they were every minute or two and I was on the way to the hospital.

My 3rd baby was also the biggest of my 3, by quite a lot. But still the easiest labour.

Good luck!

#16 imme

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

My first was 12 hours and posterior, but no issues.  Second was 5 years later and 2.5 hours.  Third was 3 years after that and about 1.5 hours.  All my second stages were only a couple of quick pushes.

I nearly had my third baby in the car.  I didn't realise it but I hit transition on the way to the hospital.  Just before we got out of the car I said to my husband "I actually think I might end up needing an epidural!" (I've never used drugs for any of my labours so it was a real surprise to me to feel like I'd need to).  I didn't know how on earth I would go another 4/5/however many more hours with the intensity of contractions that I was feeling!  It wasn't until she was born not long after that I realised why it was so intense :laugh:

If there's a next time I think we will head to hospital at the first few starting contractions because once the third labour got going properly (which is when we left for hospital) baby was here so fast.

#17 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

1. 5 and a half hours ( 2 days overdue)
2. 3 hours ( 1 day overdue)
3. 3 and a half hours ( 8 days early, induced)

#18 kerilyntaryn

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

8 hours (induced), 6 days early - private hospital
4 hours (induced) , 4 days early - private hospital
bloody show, spontanous labour and birth within 1 1/2 - public hospital - easiest labour, no interventions  - got to hospital 45 mins prior to birth

all 4+ years apart

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 02 March 2019 - 05:13 AM.

#19 CCABW

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

20 minutes.

#20 *bucket*

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

First: 9 weeks early, 2hrs 45mins
Second: 35 mins early, 2hrs 15mins
Third: on due date, 38mins
(We barely made the hospital, I had him in the wheelchair and DH missed it as he had to get other kids from car as we had no time to do anything but take them with us.)
I didn't push ever. Mine all just fell out. "Don't push, don't push, oh, there s/he is".

#21 Emfren

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

1. 13 hours active labour, induced at 40.1 due to waters breaking 24 hours prior
2. 6 hours active labour, induced at 40+10
3. Induced at 38 weeks b/c of reduced movements and low fluid. Emergency cesarean 26 hours later due to maternal fever and foetal decelerations. Turned out he was in wrong spot with cord around his neck 😱. Not what I was expecting but good outcome!

Edited by Emfren, 01 March 2019 - 08:23 PM.

#22 Kafkaesque

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

My 3rd was 9 years after my 2nd. The first and second were much the same. 7 hours of uneventful labour and included about 30 minutes of pushing.

Number three waters broke, contractions started about 15 minutes later, at hospital 15 minutes after that and then he was born 30 minutes after arriving at hospital with a few pushes. So hour from start to finish.

#23 nom_de_plume

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

1st: 3 hours, born in ED (they didn’t believe I was pushing!), 39+6. 20 min pushing.
2nd: 1 hour, born en route to hospital, 39+6. About 5 min pushing.
3rd: Less than 1 hour, born at home, 40 weeks. Maybe 3 pushes.

#24 Summer81

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone :)

Our little girl arrived at 40+5. A very reasonable 3.5 hour spontaneous labour and water birth, biggest of my babies. I'm just happy we made it to the hospital in time 😂.

#25 ipsee

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

Congratulations!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.