Stopping the pill

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cimbom

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:26 PM

Just wanted to get some feedback about the symptoms experienced by others on here who took the pill for an extended period of time and then stopped. I'm on day four at present and decided to stop after getting a high-ish blood pressure reading when on the sugar pills last week. It is normally on the low side so it was a bit of a shock. This was the last straw after a number of annoying symptoms over the last two or so years. I've been on it for 15 years and first took it to manage very painful periods. I just wanted to get an idea of how long it takes before your cycles are normal and regular as well as how long to expect the first 1-2 periods to last. I'm worried they'll be super long now or get back to being painful again.

#2 Lou-bags

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:38 PM

Well for me, after being on the pill for about 8 years I stopped and waited 6 looong months for a period to arrive. It was awful. I was single and pretty much abstinent during the bulk of the time so no pregnancy fears, just feeling not quite right. I was quite young.

Second time I stopped, after another 5-6 years of continuous use (and skipping every second period too), I think it took maybe 2-4mo for a period to occur. I felt gross during the first 6 odd months too, oily hair and skin breakouts, bad bloating, uneven moods. It’s the reason we had DS1 when we did. When we decided to postpone TTC for a while I refused to go back on the pill. One slip up and surprise!

Each time my first period/s post pill were no heavier or painful than what was reasonably normal for me at that age.

In threads I’ve read on EB previously, it seems that time to first period varies wildly but that months long waits are common and not concerning.

Hope it’s a non-event for you and you feel fine and return to regular ol’ periods no dramas.

#3 Lou-bags

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:41 PM

Oh and as for when did cycles become regular again I’m not a help sorry. First time I went straight back on it (had only gone off to rule it out for some particular health concern, which I was able to do). And second time my cycles did not become regular before DS1 was conceived (which was about 12-18mo post stopping the pill IIRC) and I’ve been pregnant or BFing ever since...

#4 zenkitty

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:14 AM

I was like clockwork as soon as I stopped (after 10 years on), had a normal period around 30 days later and four years later still have regular 27-31 day cycles with a 5-6 day period. Compared with being on the pill I have more acne and moodiness just before a period, heavier period and higher sex drive around ovulation.

Edited by zenkitty, 26 September 2018 - 12:15 AM.

#5 avocado toast

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:52 AM

12 years on it and took me 4 months to get my period back and a bit over a year for my cycle to be regular again

#6 Jelly11

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:22 AM

I think I was on it for about 13 years. Straight into regular cycles although a couple of days shorter for the first few months. I did find I got extremely sore boobs for about 2 weeks leading up to my periods which I'd never had before and was not a fan of but after about 6 months that tapered off and not a problem anymore again.

#7 Cimbom

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:38 PM

Well I'm around 3 weeks post pill at the moment. I've started to get ridiculously tired but at the same time, have had trouble sleeping. I've used melatonin before and have started it again. This time I seem to have more residual tiredness during the day though.

I'm not sure if it's stopping the pill or just the increased stress I'm dealing with at the moment but my mood feels quite off as well.

I had another blood pressure reading on Thursday and it was down quite a bit to 101/76 so I'm not sure if the previous one (112/90) was a fluke or if had dropped so much as I'm not on the pill.

Edited by Cimbom, 13 October 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#8 blackcat20

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

I went off the pill this year after 13 years on it. Returned to regular cycles right away and felt like my moods were so much better. Periods also returned to the heaviness I experienced before the pill.
My GP said that most people return to what they were pre pill, those that don't are the exception not the rule.

#9 Cimbom

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

I hope mine don't return to exactly the same as they were ridiculously painful

#10 I am a shape

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

I waited 5 months for my period to return. Since then every 28 days like clockwork.

#11 Elkcin

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:12 PM

OP I don’t have any advice for you but for what it’s worth this is where I’m at re stopping the pill...

I stopped taking the pill 25 days ago after 16 years continuous use. The first 2 weeks I felt very unwell. About a week ago my sex drive was out of control (DH was pleased lol). Now I feel “normal” which is great. I am too wondering when my period will show up but I guess there is not much to do other than wait. It’s been so long since I had an actual period I don’t remember what they are like... hopefully not too bad Fx

#12 Cimbom

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:33 AM

Yep, I don't really mind if it takes a while to show up as long as I feel better soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.