Completely different in one week?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MusicMonkey111

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

I'm at a complete loss right now. My little boy who is 10 months old has completely changed in one week. He went from being a complete content easy baby to a menace in a week.

Shortly after hitting 9 months he came down with tonsillitis. He recovered after a week of tonsillitis.  Even during that week he was still eating solids despite being sick. As soon as we got him over the tonsillitis he came down with a vomiting bug. It lasted for 4 days. Now he won't eat anything we've even tried taking him right back to purees but nothing. He barely has his bottles and is losing weight. His gone from having roughly 960ml's a day to 480ml. I talked to the ECN who told me to give him six 200ml bottles a day and solids but he won't have any of it. His also gone from 2 day naps to 4 and wakes up once over night when normally he would sleep through. His also taken to biting everyone and scratching everyone's faces.

I have no clue what to do with him. I've taken him to my GP and the hospital and I've been told to feed him more but other then that his healthy. Help!

Edited by MusicMonkey111, 28 September 2018 - 03:16 PM.

#2 mayahlb

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

Have you tried giving him a dose of panadol or neurofen and then giving him food about 30-40 mins afterwards so it's kicked in? Normally I'd say it's something like teeth. Also if he's had a vomiting bug, sometimes afterwards your gut can be very sensitive to lactose, gastro can kill off the enzymes you gut has to process lactose so you tend up with a tummy ache if you eat dairy. Try some lactose free dairy if you are feeding him dairy and maybe upping dairy free foods.

#3 marple

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

He seems fine to me. 6 x 200 ml bottles a day is a lot. Waking once over night is pretty normal too. If he is no longer sick, and the doctor has said he is fine then  just carry on with the amount he wants to drink and sleep now .
Edit - sorry just saw about the solids. I'd hold off for a week or so and see how how he is then, or what about yoghurt or pears if you are still worried about his tummy.

Edited by marple, 28 September 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#4 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

Have you tried paracetamol? Sounds like he might be in pain.

#5 Caribou

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

My DS recently had 3 bugs back to back and by the end of it he was refusing solids and only drinking small amounts of milk. I didn’t go back to purées but broke food down to what he’d eat. Like peas. So for an entire week he ate peas and bread. Within a week he perked and started to move back to his normal eating with less fussiness.

At 9mth 6 bottles is a lot. I’m wondering if he’s filling upon milk hence why he’s not into solids atm?

I also second panadol. Especially with back to back illnesses. His crankiness switched off soon as panadol kicked in.

#6 MusicMonkey111

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:22 PM

His lactose intolerant anyways so no dairy. I'll try giving him Panadol and Neurofen and see what happens then. As for the 6 bottles thats what I was told to give him but he really only drinks about 60ml out of each bottle.

#7 newmumandexcited

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

Teeth? I have found all of mine shift like and rapidly shift back, usually with some kind of brain development like more speech.

#8 afterlaughter

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:35 PM

Is he Lactose intolerant or cows milk protein intolerant (CMPI)? Lactose intolerance is unusual in babies and CMPI more common. A lactose free formula still has the cows milk protein in it. Maybe a discussion with MChN about the type of formula he is on would be worth while. maybe it’s not agreeing with him causing him to be only drinking 60ml a bottle. I could be off the mark but CMPI is on top of mind because my daughter was diagnosed 5 weeks ago at 3 months old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.