Perth school choices?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MissT

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

We are moving from Brisbane to Perth at the end of this school year for my husband's work. He will be based in Osborne Park but we have no idea where to start looking to live!!
I understand they are strict about school catchment so want to get the school right, then find somewhere to live.
Oldest (son) will be going into Grade 8, pretty smart, currently in an academic program so want something similar? Sisters will be Grades 5 and 6, so will need a feeder school to the brother's high school.
ANY info on schools or where to live would be greatly appreciated!!
Confused and anxious mum, Tracey

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

It will depend on your budget, but if you were wanting something academic and north of the river, I'd aim for Churchlands Senior High School or Shenton College. They're both big schools - over 2000 for Shenton and over 2700 for Churchlands.

You can get general school information, including numbers and catchment zones, from the Education Department's Schools Online  https://www.det.wa.e...sonline/home.do

Most schools also have their own websites now so you'd be able to get information on their programs.

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

It really does depend on your budget and what you want to get from it housing-wise. North (where Osborne park is) or south of the river is the other big question - north is easier if you are working north of the river (NOR and SOR are the usual abbreviations).

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

FWIW, we are SOR, DS1's high school has a good academic extension program and any of the local primary schools would probably be fine. We're not even very far out of the city, but the idea of driving to Osborne Park every day would fill me with horror.

ETA DS will be going into year 8 next year as well.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 29 September 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#5 littlepickle

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

Osborne Park is pretty easy to get to from a large number of NOR suburbs but somewhat of a pain if coming from SOR unless using the train as the primary means of transport.

if you can afford the rentals / house prices in the Western Suburbs then Shenton College would probably be your first choice. There a large number of great primary schools that feed into this large public high school. I assume there would be an application process for the academic extension program.

I know 3 families that have removed their teenagers from Churchlands for a variety of different reasons in the past 12 months so be aware that the school is very large and there may be some potential issues there at present. However the schools that feed into the high school are all in lovely suburbs / have good names.

Maybe have a look at Carine - Great suburbs/ close to the coast and I believe that they are in the process of establishing an extended STEM program.

Good luck...

#6 BusbyWilkes

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:57 PM

Shenton College would be good if you can afford the rent/mortgage for any of the suburbs in catchment. I have also heard some not great things about Churchlands more recently. The new inner city high school (next to Subiaco Oval) will be opening in 2020 and will change the catchments for Shenton and Churchlands, so this may affect your younger kids being able to attend (check suburbs/catchments closely).

Better value for money (and probably shorter commute due to proximity to train/freeway) would be further north of Osborne Park. Duncraig have a GATE program (the same as Shenton) and Carine and Woodvale are also generally good schools.
Where are you currently in Brisbane? What would your housing budget be?

#7 xxyzed

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

As per the above posters. Western suburbs in the Shelton or Churchlands catchments. Both schools are very strict on living in area. The academic testing takes place in year 6 so you would need to get granted special permission to join based on previous testing and previous school results.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:46 PM

GATE testing takes place early in the year before, and it doesn’t look as if they have a year 8 intake. You can register now to be kept up to date for year 7, 9, 10 and 11 for 2020.

#9 missjones

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

Recent Brisbane  - Perth migrant here too .... where do you live in Brisbane and where are the kids at school.
Are you looking for something similar?
Might help in making suggestions

Public or private?
Co- ed?

#10 MissT

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:02 PM

BusbyWilkes, on 29 September 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

Shenton College would be good if you can afford the rent/mortgage for any of the suburbs in catchment. I have also heard some not great things about Churchlands more recently. The new inner city high school (next to Subiaco Oval) will be opening in 2020 and will change the catchments for Shenton and Churchlands, so this may affect your younger kids being able to attend (check suburbs/catchments closely).

Better value for money (and probably shorter commute due to proximity to train/freeway) would be further north of Osborne Park. Duncraig have a GATE program (the same as Shenton) and Carine and Woodvale are also generally good schools.
Where are you currently in Brisbane? What would your housing budget be?

Currently outer Southside of Brisbane, looking up to $500 week rent range

#11 MissT

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

missjones, on 29 September 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

Recent Brisbane  - Perth migrant here too .... where do you live in Brisbane and where are the kids at school.
Are you looking for something similar?
Might help in making suggestions

Public or private?
Co- ed?

#12 MissT

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:05 PM

Currently living Greenbank, Park Ridge State high school, 1500 students, son in the academic program there.
Looking at a good public school that could offer an extension program of sorts. Just don't know suburbs or where to start looking!

#13 MissT

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:06 PM

Thanks all, you have given me some areas / school to start researching.
I had heard good things about Willeton. Any reviews on that high school?

Edited by MissT, 29 September 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#14 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

Willetton has a good reputation, but I don’t actually know anyone who has children there. If you’re prepared to be SOR, you could also look at Rossmoyne or Applecross. Willetton and Rossmoyne are both over 2000 students, while Applecross is just over 1500.

I can PM you as DS1 is at one of these schools.

#15 UniKitty

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:38 PM

With DH working in Osborne Park I wouldn't consider living in the southern suburbs like Willeton, too far to commute.

$500 per week will get you a nice house in the Carine or Duncraig HS catchments - both very sought after schools with tight catchment policies. Carine won High School of the year recently and Duncraig has an academic extension program.

The feeder primary schools are also well respected and resourced.

Suburbs to consider are all on the coastal side of the freeway and have excellent public transport links due to train line and are close to beach - Duncraig, Padbury, Carine, Marmion, Hillarys, Karrinyup, Gwelup.

#16 ponky

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

I would second the suburbs of Padbury, Carine, Duncraig etc

All the primary schools are great in this area and they feed into either Carine or Duncraig High School.  

We are in Carine but my DS goes to St Marks in Hillarys - Anglican Co-Ed private school.

#17 perthgal3

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

Yes, I agree. With a $500 rent budget I think you need to look more north than churchlands or Shenton park catchment zones.

I would think you could get something near duncraig or carine high. Both these areas are nice family areas, with good schools, easy commute to Osborne park and in your budget.

The South of the river schools you mentioned are good but commuting to Osborne park would be a pain from the south.

#18 rileys-mum

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:52 AM

What time does your DH start work? If you are on the freeway by 7:15 from willetton you will be fine - anything later, it can take up to an hour. The run home if you can leave work by 4:45 or after 6 you will get a free run.

Willetton SHS is fantastic. I have dealt with them for many years in a professional capacity and would send my kids there if we were in the zone

#19 littlepickle

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

I agree with a number of the other posters. Duncraig sounds ideal - academic program, great feeder primary schools and you are likely to find a rental across a number of suburbs. Traffic reasonable and you have both the freeway or the coast as options.

Good luck

#20 katei

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

My DH worked in Osbourne Park and commuted from Riverton (SOR) for many years. It took around 30-40 minutes peak hour (leaving at 745am). We have children at Rossmoyne and Willetton at the moment and both are good high schools. All the feeder primary schools in the area are good schools.

#21 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

There are lots of good schools close to Osborne Park.  It's not necessary to go south of the river, and I definitely wouldn't be considering that as an option.  It adds a lot to what could otherwise be a short commute.

Woodlands, Churchlands, Tuart Hill, Mount Hawthorn, Joondanna, Yokine... they're all good areas with good primary schools.

For high schools I would try to be in the Churchlands SHS, Shenton College or even Mount Lawley catchment areas (assuming you are looking for public).

#22 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

If your dh will be based in Osborne Park, I would personally choose to be based NOR. I live quite close to Osborne Park - just a couple suburbs closer to the city - and while rent is generally not that cheap there are some good finds at the moment. Mount Lawley and Churchlands are both good options, though Churchlands is very full.

#23 It's Percy

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

$500 a week will restrict you. You won;t find much in the western suburbs for that. Agree Duncraig or Dianella would be better. Think Rossmoyne and Willetton would be out of budget too.

Edited by It's Percy, 04 October 2018 - 08:33 PM.

#24 MissT

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for all the info ladies! Weighing up an academic program for DS in high school, primary schools for DD1 and DD2, proximity to DH work, rental prices / availability, its looks like Duncraig is the common denominator. Thanks you all so much again x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.