Childcare preferences

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pooks Combusted

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

My daughter’s childcare want preferences for next year ASAP. She’s currently 4 days/week. I’m being made redundant and have no idea what days I’ll need next month let alone next year. I’ve only just started job searching. Would it be wrong of me to request 5 days and then later drop the days I don’t need?

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

Do what you need to do. I’m sure they will be able to fill the days you drop.

And thanks for the reminder, I need to put ours in for next year.

ETA - that really sucks about the job, best of luck finding something new quickly.

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 02 October 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#3 Pooks Combusted

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

I really don’t want to be an a**hole about it but maybe I will need the 5 days :/

We’ve been there 3 years and will be there another 2 so hopefully they can wipe their tears with the wads of cash I give them :p

Thanks, something will work out. I’m hoping something with my current employer will come up.

#4 sarahec

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

Apply for 5 or Tuesday to Thursday as Monday and Friday are easy to pick up.

#5 ali-song

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

I always apply for more than I need. They’ve got a long waiting list, and won’t have a problem filling up spaces. Our director knows this, and is fine with it - I just let her know as soon as my needs are confirmed (ie, hurry up kinder!).

#6 wallofdodo

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

Yes I did it once.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:08 PM

Just do what you need to do. It’s the easiest time to pick up days. You can drop them anytime. No reason required!!!

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

Not at all. No reason why you should feel responsible for a system that fails parents.

I'd like to see a system like primary schools, where parents have an entitlement to a space as their zoned childcare, but given we don't even have that for kinder in Victoria, I'm not holding my breath.

#9 *Melstar*

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

I usually would not do this sort of thing but for childcare options, I absolutely would (& have). Not my fault that we have to give preferences so far out from the start of the year. Family circumstances can - and often do! - change.

And I also think, it's a preference. Not definitive.

#10 BornToLove

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:24 PM

Our schools OSHC asks for our preferences at the start of term 4 (so next week) for next year’s placements. Our needs are often dictated by DHs work schedule which isn’t finalised until the end of January (so about the same time the school year starts).

We always ask for every day after school and then cancel the booking as soon as his schedule is posted. It’s never been a problem and we aren’t the only family that does it. We did have to wear the cost of the 4week notice period but for the peace of mind to know we had what we needed just in case, it was worth the cost.

Edited by BornToLove, 02 October 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#11 Pooks Combusted

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:48 PM

It’s 2 weeks notice at the centre. Hopefully I’ll know well before the new year what I’m doing.

#12 Orla18

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

Take the 5 days and drop the days you don't need as soon as you know your situation. Plenty of people do this :)

#13 ipsee

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

Most people ask for 5 days at our after school care, and then loads of places come up in week 1 of school when people actually know what they are doing and drop the days.

The system isn't on our side, you just have to make it work for you.

#14 Ellie bean

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:37 PM

No advice but sorry to hear about the redundancy Pooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.