11 month olds diet, holding food in mouth

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 InOmniaParatus

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

Edited by InOmniaParatus, 06 February 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

My 10mo is not at all keen on vegetables by themselves. My approach is to offer them on their own, and also mix fruit purée with vegetable purée. I’m slowly changing the ratio of fruit to vegetable.

Your baby eats a lot more variety than mine does! I can’t get him to try meat at all. If I get any in his mouth it just comes straight back out again. But he’s only become interested in food recently, 6 weeks ago he barely ate anything, so I figure we are still making progress.

But basically keep offering. Don’t put any pressure on her, and allow her to play with the food.

#3 blimkybill

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

Your baby is communicating with you and expressing her preferences. It's OK for her to have preferences. To be honest this may be just the start of even firmer preferences in the toddler period! I think it is important not to stress, and to offer her foods without putting pressure on. Many kids don't eat a hugely varied diet and that is OK as long as they are getting the range of nutrients they need. Maybe now is a good time to let her start to self feed more foods as well, giving her more autonomy over her eating. Or a combination of spoon feeding and finger feeding.

#4 InOmniaParatus

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:25 PM

So what should I do...she turns her head with most other foods..do I continue to offer new foods no pressure along side foods she likes ?
what if she even refuses to try the new foods...?
Today I offered her a cauliflower mash in cheese sauce, same response. She only wanted her chicken soup.
Finger foods she will only try very few, most she likes to squeeze between her fingers and throw off the high chair (99%)

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:32 PM

View PostInOmniaParatus, on 09 October 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

So what should I do...she turns her head with most other foods..do I continue to offer new foods no pressure along side foods she likes ?
what if she even refuses to try the new foods...?
Today I offered her a cauliflower mash in cheese sauce, same response. She only wanted her chicken soup.
Finger foods she will only try very few, most she likes to squeeze between her fingers and throw off the high chair (99%)

Yep, just put them in front of her and let her choose. If you don’t care what she eats, it doesn’t become a power struggle. Keep offering a mix of foods she likes, plus the foods you want her to eat. If the food is healthy she’ll do ok, even if she doesn’t try the new foods. Kids can need to be offered foods a large number of times before they try a new food.

#6 Daffy2016

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

Yours eats better than my 13 month old! I try not to worry and just offer her a range of things - peanut butter toast is always a winner, and so is fruit. So she gets a bit of both.

ETA - her likes and dislikes also change from day to day. I think she’s preparing for a very firm toddlerhood so I try not to create fights yet!

Edited by Daffy2016, 14 October 2018 - 03:52 PM.

#7 MooGuru

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:56 PM

What does she do with the food she holds in her mouth? Does she spit it out or eventually swallow?

DS hated peas.  Wouldn't touch them. Until DH started eating them off his plate. Suddenly he loved peas and there'd be indignant squawking if you so much as looked at stealing a pea. Similar thing happened a few times. The peas were just the most obvious and pronounced change.

#8 InOmniaParatus

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 14 October 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

What does she do with the food she holds in her mouth? Does she spit it out or eventually swallow?

DS hated peas.  Wouldn't touch them. Until DH started eating them off his plate. Suddenly he loved peas and there'd be indignant squawking if you so much as looked at stealing a pea. Similar thing happened a few times. The peas were just the most obvious and pronounced change.

She holds it in her mouth and eventually spits it out.

Edited by InOmniaParatus, 06 February 2019 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.