Bladder prolapse

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lamarque

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hi all,

First off - I have an appt with my GP but couldn't get in for 11 business days (I'm on the cancellation list in the hope something comes up sooner).  Apologies for the long post.  

I'm mid 40s with two teenage kids both of which were vaginal births.  My smallest baby was 4kgs.   My second baby was born at 39 weeks weighing 4.2kgs.

I wasn't a walking advertisement for doing pelvic floor exercises over the years, I'll be honest.  Did them for a while and then promptly fell off the wagon.

Fast forward to 6mths ago - my GP ordered a routine urine test with bloods.  She raised the fact a had a very mild UTI.  I remarked, "That's odd, I have no symptoms."  We let it go as I had other pressing medical issues.

About two months ago I developed a chronic cough as a result of my silent reflux.   I let this cough go for about four weeks (it was dry, no temp and I felt well) before I realised it wasn't a virus/cold.  The cough is chronic enough that I cannot speak without coughing.   Now on medication (again) for reflux.  The cough only reduced this week.

Fast forward to three weeks ago, I was using a tampon and thought things felt different inserting and removing.

Fast forward to two weeks ago.  I was sitting down for the majority of the day doing some research when I noticed I felt distinctly uncomfortable around the vaginal opening.  I also realised I had a UTI.  Only option at that stage of the night was Ural.  Next day, GP confirmed UTI.  I started a 7 day course of AB.

Fast forward to this week, I feel uncomfortable sitting again and I felt like my UTI was returning.

Self-examination tells me the vaginal wall is not protruding but it's near the opening.  I'm 'guessing', given the UTI's, it is the bladder...

I'm thinking, given the early UTI, 6mths ago that I was always heading for a prolapse but the bloody chronic reflux cough has exacerbated it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this possible grade of prolapse and whether physio/exercise has saved their soul??!!

I did intensive pelvic floor / core physio sessions and then did about 4 years of reformer pilates due to my issues above so I know generally what to do (could always do with refresher sessions).   I'm just hoping above hope that I can avoid surgery and someone out there has too?

Forgive my lack of response tonight/tomorrow - heading to bed now and will be at work tomorrow.  Will try and check in during lunch hour.

Thanks for any help. :waves:

Edited to remove some personal information

Edited by lamarque, 12 October 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:00 PM

SImilar age, similar weight babies (except #1 was 5kg). Similar pattern of pelvic floor exercises - but I could have done them constantly and this still would have happened - I had paper thin uterine ligaments - they are supposed to be as thick as your little finger, not as thin as a piece of 80gsm paper ...

I have had surgery, the first was to resuspend my uterus. The second was to remove it and repair the front wall/bladder. All the information I had indicated that if it was bulging at the opening surgery was likely a better option than exercises/a pessary. My gyno said that all the exercises in the world were not going to help something 'so far gone'.

I had Influenza around 3 weeks ago. It came with a cough. Pretty sure the back wall is now collapsing - the Vaginal Vault is definitely not up where it should be either ...

TMI but can you feel your cervix? If your cervix is down there near the front it's uterine prolaspe which often drags the bladder down tihe it.

#3 lamarque

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

Hi E - thanks for taking the time to respond.

Wow - number one was 5kg?  What an introduction!

Yikes, it sounds like you have had a rough trot, especially in the uterine genetic department.  I'm sorry to read that.  Are you going to need to see someone again after your recent flu?

Well, that magic cancellation opened up this afternoon.  After an internal she is confident I can get it back to where it is supposed to be.  She confirmed it is my bladder bulging and my uterus was slightly dragged.  However when prompted to tighten my pelvic floor muscles, they were strong and I was doing this exercise correctly.

Oddly, she couldn't see the prolapse until I coughed.  Strange because I can feel it straight away.  Maybe whilst lying down and dreading the internal I had 'tightened' things unknowingly...

She mentioned my love affair with constipation isn't helping things so I'm now drinking Movicol.

It will be a slow process but I will see how I go.  We have an overseas trip soon and I was dreading having to do something drastic about this so it is a huge relief.

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

I am currently on the public waiting list to get a bladder sling, my urogynocologyst basically said that I came as far as I could with physio.

My only son is four years old and I didnt have a good pelvic floor to begin with. My muscle tone is very low and I had a hard time activating the muscles. After my son was born I was completely incontinent and had to retrain my bladder.

Good luck!

#5 lamarque

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm sorry to read that Lunafreya.  I hope a spot comes up for you soon.

Thanks for your well wishes.

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

The first gyno I saw said I had no prolapse - I was lying down. I got a second opinion and this gyno examined me in an upright position and it was very visible then.

I hope the exercises work and you get back to rights, OP.

#7 ShortAndStout

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:50 PM

I had a prolapse last year - bladder, rectal and cervix has dropped. I am 41 and my youngest is 4, but neither were very heavy babies. My first was a long labour and my gynaecologist suggested that could have weakened my pelvic floor - a bout of constipation after taking codeine was the big factor.

I’ve seen a physio who deals in this issue and through learning better pelvic muscle control and using a pessary to exercise (not at the level I was before) I’m managing ok. It’s not brilliant and I suspect ultimately I’ll have surgery, but for the moment I’m put off by the recovery period - my gynaecologist suggested 3-6 months which I would struggle to manage my kids through.

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

My recovery periods were 4-6 weeks.

#9 ShortAndStout

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

Can I ask what level of activity you found you could do after 6 weeks ? The gyno (surgeon) I spoke to was along the lines of
- no lifting anything heavier than a 2L milk for 6 weeks, pottering around the house ok
- no lifting washing baskets or children until 12 weeks, longer walks out and about ok
- return to sports (swimming and ballroom dancing) from 3 months to 6 months depending on healing

The recovery time is really whats putting me off'the surgery, I hate the pessary but it lets me keep going to the gym and dancing.

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

Similar but for 6 weeks :shrug: I don’t do any sports though. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for six weeks, only carry dinner plates that were empty and not to hang anything heavier than my knickers.

Then gradually return to regular activities like driving etc.

#11 meljbau

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

View Postlamarque, on 11 October 2018 - 09:47 PM, said:

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this possible grade of prolapse and whether physio/exercise has saved their soul??!!

Edited to remove some personal information

Yes, me!

I was just discharged today after 6 months of physio for a moderate bladder prolapse.

When I had my urodynamics study I was sent to physio but the urologist asked about whether I had private health as that would speed things up for my surgery, so it was pretty much an expectation that there would be surgery.

I had done pelvic floor exercises on and off over the years and I was doing them right, but I didn't know how to extend them and was just doing the quick ones that we all hear about.

I would really recommend attending a continence clinic if you can. The physio can help you with equipment that can help you learn to do the exercises more efficiently faster and with funding if needed.

I may have more problems as I age, but I am older than you OP and very motivated to keep going as you don't need to do that much to get your muscles strong again. I do a couple of sets in bed before I get up, a couple of sets before I go to sleep and then some during the day in standing or moving positions which is a bit harder to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.